As a web hosting for personal use, which one is better, cPanel or DirectAdmin?

Ignore the price factor. In 2024, is cPanel still a better choice?

Comments

• edited September 7

I prefer DA to cPanel not that it's better but because cPanel uses DNS to manage add-on domains. Add-on domains are subdomains of the main domain in cPanel which isn't ideal for me. I wonder if there is any solution to avoid adding add-on domains as subdomains.

• Mustafamw3Mustafamw3 Hosting ProviderOG

@how said:

Plesk > Cpanel > Directadmin

Thanked by (1)faleddo
  • @Mustafamw3 said:

@how said:

@NameCrane
    Is it possible to offer Plesk in the future?

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@how said:

@Mustafamw3 said:

@how said:

@NameCrane

Not interested in offering a 3rd panel for effectively the same product.

If we offered a 3rd panel it would be to offer windows hosting or something.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@how said:

@Mustafamw3 said:

@how said:

@NameCrane

Francisco

RDP?

• edited September 7

I just install the following programs to run my trivial blog:
    sudo pacman -Sy nginx mariadb-lts php-legacy-cgi cloudflared

A 256 MB OpenVZ VPS or 512 MB KVM one with IPv6 or NAT IPv4 will be powerful enough.
    Is there anything the panels can do but the cli cannot?

Thanked by (1)how

MicroLXC is lovable. Uptime of C1V

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@how said:

@Francisco said:

@how said:

@Mustafamw3 said:

@how said:

@NameCrane

Francisco

RDP?

No, for .NET, ASP, MSSQL, etc.

Francisco

• @bliss said:
    I just install the following programs to run my trivial blog:
    sudo pacman -Sy nginx mariadb-lts php-legacy-cgi cloudflared

A 256 MB OpenVZ VPS or 512 MB KVM one with IPv6 or NAT IPv4 will be powerful enough.
    Is there anything the panels can do but the cli cannot?

Simplicity for most average users.

• I really don't get it - particularly when talking about personal use. How many web sites do you have? So you set up your web sites once (add domain/subdomain, enable Let's Encrypt certificate, set PHP version, maybe some other stuff), and then your are done with the panel. Did the panel let you do that? If yes, great. Move on and forget about the panel, you are done. If no, another panel is obviously better.

What am I missing here - why are people so focused on which panel they use for a (hopefully) one time job?

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Joseph
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited September 7

@cmeerw said: why are people so focused on which panel they use for a (hopefully) one time job?

Because hobbyists (like me) focus on the equipment, but professionals (like you) focus on the results.

As a hobbyist, I love the old style command line terminal -- all green text, no color, line oriented, ed editor. Probably no professional works this way nowadays.

Many hobbyists keep setting everything up over and over again. These hobbyists say, "Mmmm! What happens if I try DirectAdmin instead of cPanel?"

Meanwhile professionals like you complete the present job both very well and very quickly and then just as quickly move on to their next job.

Haha, it's absolutely an index of your professionalism that you don't understand why some people focus so much on which panel they use for a (hopefully) one time job. :star:

Thanked by (1)bliss

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• The one you already know - to save time.
    The one you don't know already - if you want to learn/try something new.
    None as every panel is cancer and sooner or later you will hit some obstacle and nothing beats custom config VPS.

Decide what is the key for you. :-D

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• They both do an equal job.

• To me, both the cli and the control panel are just tools that save me time. Clicking the mouse is usually easier for me than typing commands and configuration files.

• NameCraneNameCrane Hosting Provider

They both have their quirks, depends what you're running.

Generally think cPanel shared handles multiple domains better than DA. But DA resellers are cheap enough that you can split them out into multiple accounts.

From the admin side, I can tell you cPanel is better to manage - DA causes more headaches.

Thanked by (1)how

πŸ—οΈ NameCrane - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated Hosting / cPanel + DirectAdmin / Ryzen + NVMe + 10Gbps / Free Blesta!
    πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬ Now in Singapore πŸ‘‰ Shared Hosting from $8/yr πŸ† $2/mo Reseller Hosting

• For personal use, save your money and use Control(Centos) Webpanel or the much more basic TinyCP.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• For me, DA > CPanel
    its more simple to manage subdomain in DA than cpanel

Thanked by (1)nick_
  • @cmeerw said:
    I really don't get it - particularly when talking about personal use. How many web sites do you have? So you set up your web sites once (add domain/subdomain, enable Let's Encrypt certificate, set PHP version, maybe some other stuff), and then your are done with the panel. Did the panel let you do that? If yes, great. Move on and forget about the panel, you are done. If no, another panel is obviously better.

What am I missing here - why are people so focused on which panel they use for a (hopefully) one time job?

Personally I use panels for testing. I'm not really a webdeveloper per se but my customers often asks me for help with websites etc. What I then like to do is spin up a copy of their website, find a solution and make sure it works as intended and then publish the website. Having a panel makes it extremely easy to add a temporary domain, spin up a copy of the website, do some testing and then move it to production. I could do it with CLI only but running a panel makes it so easy to do, and I can even allow my customers access and let them test stuff themselves. Lately I've started leaning towards Fastpanel for personal use, it is extremely easy yet powerful and it's completely free. I have my doubts how well it would do professional hosting, but for personal use and testing it's awesome.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @how said:

For personal use, choose cPanel for ease and features or DirectAdmin for affordability and lower resource usage.