myw is not closing doors

Comments

• @treesmokah said:
    What did people expect from "lifetime" hosting? As If the scam wasn't obvious enough.
    A month without other income source was enough to sink the ship, its not how a healthy business operates.

There's no scam. And I surely hope no one lost any money over it. It was just a risky business. If anything Mike cheated on himself. He was trying to run regular, monthly services. But anyone involved in one of the forums knew he was always going to come back with lifetimes.

But to be fair here: if someone did, it was because they did not know what they signed up for.

I'm sure most people that did use his lifetime deal knew this was ending sooner or later. It's a gamble. Might run 5 months, might run 5 years.

• @debaser said: There's no scam. And I surely hope no one lost any money over it.

I have seen people on OGF complaining that they used the service for a few months(purchased this year) and lost hundreds.

@debaser said: It's a gamble.

This is the last thing I want to hear when purchasing anything.

• I'm honestly baffled that people think MXRoute will go under so.

Thanked by (3)bikegremlin Wolveix flips
  • @c1vhosting said:
    This is not good news, however for those affected by the shutdown please contact us, we will offer you reasonable deals or agreements to keep your resources. We will soon launch new Cloud instance servers to provide better load management.

and you also invested a lot of money in new hardware, right?

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Hosting Provider

@cold said:

@c1vhosting said:
    This is not good news, however for those affected by the shutdown please contact us, we will offer you reasonable deals or agreements to keep your resources. We will soon launch new Cloud instance servers to provide better load management.

Of course

C1V Hosting: Low cost Italian Cloud & Data Center Solutions 🚀 | Contact us for special offers. | Our deals on Telegram

• @treesmokah said:

@debaser said: There's no scam. And I surely hope no one lost any money over it.

I have seen people on OGF complaining that they used the service for a few months(purchased this year) and lost hundreds.

Did he promise them they can use it for longer? No, so I see no scam here. He said they can use it for the lifetime of the legal entity and that's what they were delivered. It might have been an expensive purchase and sometimes you realize late that it was expensive but everything promised has been delivered.

@debaser said: It's a gamble.

This is the last thing I want to hear when purchasing anything.

That's what bdd is for. If you don't do this it's usually gambling or trusting unwritten promises. This usually goes well and sometimes it doesn't like here if you came late to the party.

• @webcraft said:

@treesmokah said:

@debaser said: There's no scam. And I surely hope no one lost any money over it.

Did he promise them they can use it for longer? No, so I see no scam here. He said they can use it for the lifetime of the legal entity and that's what they were delivered. It might have been an expensive purchase and sometimes you realize late that it was expensive but everything promised has been delivered.

Basically this. And yes, there's always a risk that you lose money in low end world. The risker is getting smaller by the year, but the risk is still there.

I used MYW too. Not for important sites of course. But yeah, had to move some things today. It's no fun, but I got a good 2 years out of that 10 EUR. Just remember to backup (and in this case, there even is time to fix it if you don't have backups.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited September 16

@treesmokah said: To top it all off, this shady operation was run by a staff member of OGF.

Can't help yourself?
    Get over it. I mean the staff and all that. He was one of us, a part of the community long before he became a moderator. Or started to run hosting company. I remember him hanging out in the #xenvz and #frantech IRC channels almost 15 years ago.
    It’s not like those people are paid or anything to moderate community and there's not competition among forums. Besides that LET was more than just J. Bilbo.

I agree with you regarding lifetime offers, though. It's always gambling how many years one will get out of it as those things rarely end well.

• @c1vhosting said:

@cold said:

@c1vhosting said:

Of course

good, we won't buy again from you

• @c1vhosting said:

MyW hosting plans were not used just for idling. Migrating to C1V might not help anyone, not even you.

Thanked by (2)webcraft burntascii
  • Very sad, time to migrate my hobby website.

• This is scam, I feel angry, I don't know who that MikeTyson is, but he's running with his client's money, and he should be punished.
    How about people who just bought the lifetime yesterday?

Thanked by (1)mijo
  • @yoursunny said:

@Dazzle said:
    We knew this would end like this.

Who's next?

Who else is selling lifetime plans?

Hint:

300 outbound per hour

Lifetime is always bad, now we know who's next

Thanked by (2)yoursunny mijo
  • edited September 16

@selalumenang said:
    This is scam, I feel angry, I don't know who that MikeTyson is, but he's running with his client's money, and he should be punished.
    How about people who just bought the lifetime yesterday?

They have been delivered their lifetime plan and the lifetime is over. Short but sweet life. Don't make wrong accusions here, that's no scam, the delivery man has dropped the package. You may regret the expensive purchase afterwards, but that doesn't make it a scam. (lifetime plan is a market term for one-time payment sales)

• Offering lifetime and then 4 months later closing down, that's an obvious exit scam.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny mijo
  • What is MyW?

• edited September 16

I don't know MikePT and never used his services, so I'm looking at this from an outside perspective. But, I have seen his posts over the years in the OGF and haven't heard of any issues that I know of.

So let's put this into perspective. It seems he had good intentions in running the business. It didn't work out. But, I don't see it as a scam. Is he being punished? It seems he self punished himself financially (paid for a month out of pocket while low on personal funds) and seems to be publicly punishing himself. So, if that's not enough for you and you want to pile on, I guess it's your prerogative. But, how much did you really lose? I've had some lifetime deals many years ago and I was annoyed when it shut down, but at the end it was an isolated event and I stopped doing lifetime deals because of it. The way I see lifetime deals is that it's the lifetime of the entity - until it's sold or shuts down or infrastructure goes away (looking at you crypto).

• edited September 16

Following the topic in that other forum, it seems the servers will not be shutdown straight away as "jar" claims to have paid several of the outstanding bills. So at least it seems there is a little less hurry to migrate.

What will happen and/or when things will stop working nobody knows, but I believe this is worth relaying here.

• @Falzo said: I remember the offerings of his lifetime deals even mentioned, that he needed the money for whatever private investments.

That was a red flag for me from the beginning. That's why I didn't buy it.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Falzo
  • @Groentjuh said: Following the topic in that other forum, it seems the servers will not be shutdown straight away as "jar" claims to have paid several of the outstanding bills. So at least it seems there is a little less hurry to migrate.

This is wild seeing just a few posts ago people were talking about MXRoute going under lol

• MyW was saved for now by @jar - nobody needs to migrate.

Thanked by (2)flips host_c
  • @root said:
    MyW was saved for now by @jar - nobody needs to migrate.

@root said:
    MyW was saved for now by @jar - nobody needs to migrate.

Thanks, @jarland! Please note that the services are good for about a month, until then the time for migration is extended.

• Well it's nice that jar paid for the servers but as a lifetime customer it kind of feels like this just bought me some more time. Do you guys suggest waiting until BF to find something?

I have a Kimsufi dedi with some random docker containers on it but I'm not super confident in my devops skills. I did host a family member's small business site on myW a wordpress site, and would be worried about messing up security on that somehow selfhosting and exposing my other self hosted services.

It was nice to have the lifetime to just throw random things up easily and not worry about further config. So the lifetime was perfect for me as a hobbyist + helping out a family member. Not sure how much money I'd want to pay out of pocket for this going forward especially if I can figure out something with the Dedi in the end.

What do you guys think?

• imokimok OG
    edited September 17

Move out. There is plenty of annually-paid cheap services for web hosting.

I have one account with @MikeA. Check with him.

I've heard @MichaelCee does a great job too.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@cold said:

@c1vhosting said:

@cold said:

@c1vhosting said:

Of course

good, we won't buy again from you

LOL

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @imok said:

Yeah I saw on LET that MikeA was doing a deal, less than 10 for a year, he's been around for a while and seems legit.

• I moved to namecrane. 50% off recurring is better than black friday deal.

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

@imok said:

I'll also probably be adding SIngapore SPanel plans in the nearish future.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited September 17

SEX

OK, now that I've got your attention:

Just got an email from MyW that has some very good news (maybe the title of the thread could be edited):

Hey friend,

My name is Jarland Donnell and I'm the owner of MXroute, LLC. You recently received an email explaining that MyW will be closing it's doors. While that email did in fact describe the facts of the matter at that time, we were able to prevent this at the last minute. MyW is in good standing with it's vendors and will remain operational. All of the services that you have paid for will continue to function. Miguel, the founder of MyW, is an old colleague of mine and we have the type of relationship that allows me to send you this notice before we have finalized all of the details of this transition. I believe it is more important that you know that your services are not going offline than it is for you to know the details that we're still working out. What I can tell you is that MXroute has the resources to keep MyW afloat indefinitely, regardless of it's profitability. Presently there is no risk of your services going offline.

As we work out the finer details of this you will of course be kept in the loop. I'm sorry that I don't have any more for you right now. Please expect that support may be limited during this time. A primary focus right now will be ensuring that everything is online and functioning as intended so as to reduce any need for you to contact support.

<3

Jarland Donnell

As far as I can tell, @jarland 's MXroute has a good, solid business model (lifetime sales done right), and he's proven to be trustworthy over the years, so I'd take his word on this.

Regarding @MikePT and MyW:

I paid for two lifetime reseller hosting deals (one in the US and one in Germany) in 2019, and have been using them ever since. Paid the money primarily to support Mike in whatever he's doing, but it turned out those accounts were quite helpful, especially during the time I had to move from HostMantis when they got sold, until I found and properly tested a good alternative.

The main problem with MyW for me has been the one-man show with no real "substitute/backup" - so I couldn't reasonably expect a problem to be fixed during a saturday night, so I didn't host any paying client sites there.

Was it a bad idea to keep selling lifetime deals? Probably, especially if very few customers paid for monthly/yearly deals (apparently that was the case). But, I don't believe that Mike wanted to scam anyone. Even if the end result were the same (thanks to Jarland it is not), it's still very much different from what some scammy providers pulled. Obviously Jarland sees it similarly and has stepped up to help - awesome.

Mike seems to be in need of our help and support at this time. I would not want to be in his shoes - and I think Mike is one of the good guys (as Americans like to put it - black&white :) ).

For a full disclosure - I did move all the important stuff away from MyW years ago, and migrated a few less critical pro-bono projects last evening (right after I got to a PC after having read the first email - since there was no deadline set and I didn't want to risk it). But, I won't be proceeding with the move for the rest of the stuff (and I make sure to run regular off-site backups regardless of the provider).

Trying to run @AlwaysSkint grammar check
    :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

It may not be much, but...

For Web-Hosting: Here is a 50% discount for web- and cloud- hosting products on siteTide. (for the first year of services). - Code: MyW-Rescue

Thanked by (2)Brueggus imok

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ LIR-Services ★ | ★ SiteTide Web-Hosting ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★ | ★ Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★