.com vs .net vs .org: When to Use Each?

There's often confusion about when to choose between .com, .net, and .org.
What criteria do you use to decide which one fits your brand or project best?

Comments

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

.com for my business website, or .org if the website is for a non-profit venture.
    .net for the services that my business runs.

Generally ... of course sometimes this does not always work out.

Thanked by (2)techdragon ehab

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

• edited September 9

Generally, only .com has any value in a portfolio (IMHO). I sometimes use other TLDs such as .net, .co.uk as protective registrations and forward these to the .com so someone else can't steal my traffic.

BrandShelter takes care of my business related stuff with DPML so it's just a booteg version of this sans trademark.

I sometimes use TLDs such as .host or .it depending on the project.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • I use amadex.com as my web, and amadex.net for nameservers.

Thanked by (1)COLBYLICIOUS
  • edited September 9

For my email aliases, I have a random .com that I use to decrease the likelihood of a website rejecting the address. But for hosting websites, I just get what's available for the use case.

• We use .com for website and .dev for documentation etc.
    From time to time, someone else registers .net or .org or .cn and tries to sell to us, but we are too broke for these.

Thanked by (1)techdragon

HostBrr aff best VPS; VirmAche aff worst VPS.
    Unable to push-up due to shoulder injury 😣

• .com for everything, then register the same domain with every other extensions so you feel good that no one can steal your brand. Then register all similar/typo names in the same manner. Once you are broke, get a free server from LES giveways and use it with the IP address only :p

Thanked by (2)yoursunny bikegremlin

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• .com = commercial / commerce
    .net = network / networking / computing
    .org = organization (usually non-profit)
    .info = information

There are many other TLDs out there to choose from, like .shop .io .party .win .sex .wtf and many others. Nowadays imagination and scalpers could be the limits.

• .net if .com is not available

Action and Reaction in history

• @alento said:
    .com for my business website, or .org if the website is for a non-profit venture.
    .net for the services that my business runs.

Generally ... of course sometimes this does not always work out.

I appreciate the clarity, alento! Thanks!

• @techdragon said:
    Generally, only .com has any value in a portfolio (IMHO). I sometimes use other TLDs such as .net, .co.uk as protective registrations and forward these to the .com so someone else can't steal my traffic.

BrandShelter takes care of my business related stuff with DPML so it's just a booteg version of this sans trademark.

I sometimes use TLDs such as .host or .it depending on the project.

Thanks for sharing your expertise, techdragon!

• @Amadex said:
    I use amadex.com as my web, and amadex.net for nameservers.

Cool! Thanks for sharing, Amadex!

• @SocksAreComfortable said:
    For my email aliases, I have a random .com that I use to decrease the likelihood of a website rejecting the address. But for hosting websites, I just get what's available for the use case.

Makes sense SocksAreComfortable! Thanks for sharing!

• @yoursunny said:
    We use .com for website and .dev for documentation etc.
    From time to time, someone else registers .net or .org or .cn and tries to sell to us, but we are too broke for these.

Thanks, yoursunny! Which option is more expensive, and which one is cheaper?