Impossible to set up OpenVPN on LowEndSpirit Netherlands VPS; and also no reverse DNS possible

edited March 2020 in Technical

Hello,

Issue 1 :

After hours and hours, I concluded that it is not possible to set up VPN on Netherlands location on LowEndSpirit. I had a VPN at Italy location since the beginning of LowEndSpirit. OpenVPN was working and installing well, I reinstalled it like 10 times. But then, Italy location closed.

So I got a Netherlands LowEndSpirit VPS. But it is not possible to install any VPN on it. Indeed, original script from Nyr https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install gives me the message
" Unable to initialize the iptables/netfilter NAT table, setup can't continue.
Make sure that your system has iptables/netfilter available.
If using OpenVZ, ask your provider to enable full netfilter support."
and script from Angristan https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install is giving me a similar error.

When trying to manually set an iptables redirection, it says that 'nat' table does not exist.

So it is possible to install OpenVPN, and even connect to it. But it will only be possible to ping the local machine, nothing will be redirected. So it is not possible to access the Internet with it. So it is useless.

Of course : TUN/TAP is enabled, I reinstalled the VPS multiple times under various versions of Debian (Debian 8 to Debian 10) with various versions of openvpn-install script. I used "reconfigured networking" a lot of time but I did not solve my issue.

Issue 2:

It is not possible to set a reverse DNS to my IP. "Reverse DNS is disabled for this ipaddress. Please contact support".

Best regards,

Comments

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

What provider is this? Link?

• Inception Hosting provider, location Netherlands.

• Issue2:Are you trying to set rdns on ipv4? It's shared resource so not being able to set rdns would be normal.

• Have you tried this?

Thanked by (1)proxima
  • seanhoseanho OG
    edited March 2020

Yep, just touch /option.netfilter and wait at most half an hour for the host cron job to pick it up. The file will then be renamed to /netfilter.enabled, container will reboot on its own, and you'll be good to go.

There's also /option.fuse and /option.nfs. Only applies to Ant's NAT services, not mikho's or others'.

This was in the NAT LES forum stickies since several months ago; unfortunately, we're in the transition between the old and new forums now.

Thanked by (1)proxima
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

110% possible, around 400 OpenVPN servers running in that location alone.

rDNS on a NAT IP? I think perhaps the reality is that you should not have bought this service, feel free to pop a ticket in for a refund.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• mobilemobile Retired

try
    #sudo openvpn-install.sh

yes, type sudo while you're root. it's stupid but it works

also if you want to know the actual real reason it is probably that you dont have iptables installed :)

Thanked by (1)skorous

• @AnthonySmith said: also if you want to know the actual real reason it is probably that you dont have iptables installed :)

Please, please, PLEASE let it be this.

@skorous said: Please, please, PLEASE let it be this.

it will be.

Thanked by (1)skorous

• flipsflips OG
    edited March 2020

@mobile said:
    try
    #sudo openvpn-install.sh

Huh? Any technical explanation for why this would make any difference?
    (It shouldn't if you became root by su - or sudo -i?) :)

• mobilemobile Retired
    edited March 2020

@flips said:

@mobile said:
    try
    #sudo openvpn-install.sh

it's magic

thanks ramnode <3

some /sbin/* commands do need explicitly declare sudo iirc, the change happens in Wheezy if it's debian, it was on mailinglist but i already forget which mail now (welp, years years ago)

you either do #sudo <sbin> or edit your iptables using absolute path

if ! iptables -t nat -nL &>/dev/null; then
        echo "Unable to initialize the iptables/netfilter NAT table, setup can't continue.
        exit
    fi

to:

if ! /usr/sbin/iptables -t nat -nL &>/dev/null; then
        echo "Unable to initialize the iptables/netfilter NAT table, setup can't continue.
        exit
    fi

if sudo isn't your fancy, you probably need to update your script to be like that. there's plenty sbin that share this behavior but i can't really list it right now, nah just use absolute path when you're shell scripting

Thanked by (1)Nick_A
  • lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@flips said:

@mobile said:
    try
    #sudo openvpn-install.sh

The script is just designed to check if you have used sudo I think. No other reason. As you noted, the technical side is that both are running root, so it shouldn’t make a difference.

• mobilemobile Retired

@lentro said:

@flips said:

@mobile said:
    try
    #sudo openvpn-install.sh

The script is just designed to check if you have used sudo I think. No other reason. As you noted, the technical side is that both are running root, so it shouldn’t make a difference.

nah, this part is what check you, not the iptables

if [[ "$EUID" -ne 0 ]]; then
        echo "Sorry, you need to run this as root"
        exit
    fi

• I would think $EUID might be different due to

• how you became root (login shell or not, as in -i with sudo)
    • setuid bit
    • Maybe differences in dash vs bash as /bin/sh (applicable if using #!/bin/sh and not #!/bin/bash or env bash ...)
  • I setup openvpn on a 128mb open vz Nat very easily.
    Used this script.
    https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install

• Indeed, it was just that I needed to run the script as sudo while being root ... Thank you very much for your help.

As for rDNS, I did not meant that, but back in the days we could have haproxy redirection from mydomain.com:80 --> server_ip:port.

• @seanho said:
    Yep, just touch /option.netfilter and wait at most half an hour for the host cron job to pick it up. The file will then be renamed to /netfilter.enabled, container will reboot on its own, and you'll be good to go.

There's also /option.fuse and /option.nfs. Only applies to Ant's NAT services, not mikho's or others'.

This was in the NAT LES forum stickies since several months ago; unfortunately, we're in the transition between the old and new forums now.

Thankyou verymuch. This sorted it for me. Been at it for weeks. Trying different os's, different scripts.
    Its magic once u know how. Great.

@Clouvider said: I believe that’s documented in their KB?

Yup