Who's your go-to premium KVM host?

2»

Comments

• @poisson said:
    @Mr_Tom What exactly doesn't seem right about Hetzner cloud?

I don't know, I can't put my finger on it - just get this little thing in my head that makes me not choose it.

I have used it for a couple of development jobs,and it was brilliant, so I should just have more of a play around.

Thanked by (1)YellowHummingbird
  • well, hetzner sucked before, but now they are ok imo, you cant say they are premium though, premium would mean AWS, yes I know AWS is very expensive, AWS bla bla, but when you have a multi-million dollar business, you cant go hosting it on vultr or hetzner

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@tgl said:
    well, hetzner sucked before, but now they are ok imo, you cant say they are premium though, premium would mean AWS, yes I know AWS is very expensive, AWS bla bla, but when you have a multi-million dollar business, you cant go hosting it on vultr or hetzner

Yeah for some months I would spin up a new vps with performance issues. Seems to be fine now though.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• The one with the currently lowest pricing/best offer.

• edited November 2019

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm very tempted by BuyVM and have been a customer for several years without any major issues but I've had some ticket interactions with them that were a bit more effort than I'd like for this project. I really just don't have enough time to keep chasing things up or rephrasing stuff, and want to pay extra for a host who is proactive and fully reads ticket messages before responding to them.

@Mr_Tom said:
    There's something about Hetzners cloud that just doesn't seem right and I've not used it for production stuff yet - which is odd as I run a couple of dedis in production.

I used to use Bytemark (UK) a lot but they've been bought out by iomart and gone downhill a bit. The only other UK location I currently use is LoveServer in Manchester (I do still have one Bytemark KVM left in their old Manchester DC - LoveServers use iomart manchester, but BM are still in Reynolds house). LoveServers have just been bought by QuickPacket who seem to have a good rep, and they offer DDoS protection.

All my London stuff is Inception or Clouvider. I am looking at the option of a VPS in West Midlands or Cambridge just to mix it up a bit too lol.

Yeah, I've got some experience with iomart and although they're okay and offer some great pricing, they don't really seem to fit what I want in terms of being premium.

Thanks for mentioning the Midlands or Cambridge - I'm going to see if Mythic Beasts have anything that might fit my needs - maybe I'll even colo a small dedi as I currently live in Cambridge.

I don't suppose you have any experience with UKServers in Coventry?

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • poissonpoisson OG
    edited November 2019

@YellowHummingbird said:
    Thanks all for the feedback. I'm very tempted by BuyVM and have been a customer for several years without any major issues but I've had some ticket interactions with them that were a bit more effort than I'd like for this project. I really just don't have enough time to keep chasing things up or rephrasing stuff, and want to pay extra for a host who is proactive and fully reads ticket messages before responding to them.

I highlighted the parts where I can comment on. You can drop a message to @seriesn and see if you feel comfortable with him. In terms of being proactive and reading ticket messages, he's among the best I've had so far. In his words: "There can never be too much monitoring."

There are quite a number of positive reports of customer service as well (both here and on LET). He can do servers in Germany, which should fit your requirement for an European server.

Hope that you will be part of the Family!

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @poisson said:

@YellowHummingbird said:

I highlighted the parts where I can comment on. You can drop a message to @seriesn and see if you feel comfortable with him. In terms of being proactive and reading ticket messages, he's among the best I've had so far. In his words: "There can never be too much monitoring."

There are quite a number of positive reports of customer service as well (both here and on LET). He can do servers in Germany, which should fit your requirement for an European server.

Hope that you will be part of the Family!

Thanks for the kind mention boss.

@YellowHummingbird Feel free to give us a try and be part of the Family :). You do get 48 hours to leave the though ;)

• YellowHummingbird said: Thanks for mentioning the Midlands or Cambridge - I'm going to see if Mythic Beasts have anything that might fit my needs - maybe I'll even colo a small dedi as I currently live in Cambridge.
    I don't suppose you have any experience with UKServers in Coventry?

Mythic is who I was considering for Cambridge - heard nothing but good about them so far.

I did some work for a client about 12 months ago who had a dedi with UKservers - they had good words to say about them but no personal experience myself.

SmartHost offer VPS out of VeloxServ in Wolverhampton, but I've not tried it yet.