Can I tell you about MXroute?

124»

Comments

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@bikegremlin said: Planning to make another one for DirectAdmin

You might hold out for the new frontend. While it's replacing WHMCS first and then DA will start bleeding into it until you no longer need to leave the panel, it looks like it's happening pretty fast.

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@jarland said:

@bikegremlin said: Planning to make another one for DirectAdmin

You might hold out for the new frontend. While it's replacing WHMCS first and then DA will start bleeding into it until you no longer need to leave the panel, it looks like it's happening pretty fast.

It is my understanding that you are making sure that your control panel works securely and stably, before implementing it.
    Remember you mentioned developing it some time ago (at, or even before the cPanel pricing shitstorm).
    And, at least in my experience, last 10% of development can often take even more time than the first 90%. :)
    So, I expected (guessed) that I'm more likely to be first moved to DirectAdmin, before being moved to your custom control panel (it's not my preferred option, but I suppose it will be necessary in order to cut the costs). If it turns out I was too pesimistic, great. :)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited August 2020

I created my own MX template in DirectAdmin for MXRoute. Makes it easier to setup when I add a new domain.

@jarland noticed on Twitter potentially looking to move away from cPanel onto DA. Do you have an ETA?

• INHOUSE INHOUSE YEAAA INHOUSE

• @LeonDynamic said:
    @jarland noticed on Twitter potentially looking to move away from cPanel onto DA. Do you have an ETA?

Follow #announcements on the MXroute chat to be even more up to date :#

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic

@LeonDynamic said:

It’s hard because the event itself is dynamic. I’m on day 3 of backing up cpanel accounts on 3 servers without even including their emails in the backups.

The normal backups are jetbackup incremental and DA conversion needs a regular cpanel backup. Tough to plan ahead with that unpredictable workload.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic

@jarland said:

@LeonDynamic said:

It’s hard because the event itself is dynamic. I’m on day 3 of backing up cpanel accounts on 3 servers without even including their emails in the backups.

The normal backups are jetbackup incremental and DA conversion needs a regular cpanel backup. Tough to plan ahead with that unpredictable workload.

Maybe in a year or so, there will be a properly working JetBackup for the DA? :)

Thanked by (1)jarland

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

edited August 2020

Think they'll give me an answer? :joy:

What a genius move to create spam filtering software, get a few customers under your belt, and then create your own blacklist. I mean, "It'd be a shame if an email provider not licensing their software landed on their in-house blacklist."

• I’m potentially interested in nabbing one of those lifetime licenses.

That said, I saw on your blog a couple days ago that you don’t recommend forwarding to Gmail. But when I checked again that post seems to be gone? Here’s my primary use cases:

• Forward incoming email to my personal Gmail.
    • Be able to send mail from my custom domain.

I have a very small volume of both email received and sent, as it’s just for personal use. I don’t ever plan to use the actual webmail interface, I’d only forward. Is that not a recommended use of your service?

Thanked by (1)jarland

It don’t be like it is until it do.

@ouvoun said:
    I’m potentially interested in nabbing one of those lifetime licenses.

That said, I saw on your blog a couple days ago that you don’t recommend forwarding to Gmail. But when I checked again that post seems to be gone? Here’s my primary use cases:

I have a very small volume of both email received and sent, as it’s just for personal use. I don’t ever plan to use the actual webmail interface, I’d only forward. Is that not a recommended use of your service?

I noticed the other day that Gmail has started accepting more forwarded emails and not considering forwarding to violate the sender’s DMARC record. While my general recommendation is still not to trust that Google appreciates and will work hard to accommodate this use case, it is looking better.

• @ouvoun said:
    [...] that you don’t recommend forwarding to Gmail.

Just fetch to GMail using POP3, and send using SMTP from GMail, works well ... :)
    (At least it used to, I'm not using GMail much myself ...)

Thanked by (2)jarland bikegremlin

@flips said:

@ouvoun said:

Just fetch to GMail using POP3, and send using SMTP from GMail, works well ... :)

Aye pop3 fetch works much better.

@flips said:

@ouvoun said:

Step-by-step instructions on how to do that:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10364/website-gmail/

Thanked by (1)jarland

• @bikegremlin said:

@flips said:

@ouvoun said:

Step-by-step instructions on how to do that:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10364/website-gmail/

Nice blog, thanks for the info!

@jarland said:

@ouvoun said:
    I’m potentially interested in nabbing one of those lifetime licenses.

I noticed the other day that Gmail has started accepting more forwarded emails and not considering forwarding to violate the sender’s DMARC record. While my general recommendation is still not to trust that Google appreciates and will work hard to accommodate this use case, it is looking better.

Got it, thanks.

I’m actually using Hey as my primary provider of choice, but I’m still using Gmail essentially as a backup repository and forwarder to my Hey address.

Thanked by (1)jarland

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• flipsflips OG
    edited August 2020

@ouvoun said:
    I’m actually using Hey as my primary provider of choice, but I’m still using Gmail essentially as a backup repository and forwarder to my Hey address.

Hm, new to me, a bit pricey ($99/yr), even more than the famous $7/month ...

1500 emails blocked by our new rbl (mxrbl.com) overnight. Extremely apparent that 100% of them were actual spam, as expected.

• @jarland said:
    1500 emails blocked by our new rbl (mxrbl.com) overnight. Extremely apparent that 100% of them were actual spam, as expected.

That’s a lot of unsold ED pills

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • @jarland said:
    2. Instead of authenticating with a username that isn't an actual email address, you'll authenticate with one that is (an email address created in DirectAdmin). That doesn't force the From header to match it, but it does become the "X-Auth-User" header so that I can track who sent spam when I get complaints.

I run my own mailserver, using ses and spamwall for outbound. I'm already mxroute customer, thinking to switch the outbound to you.

If I use email created in DA as smtp identity, I will be limited to 300/hours. This is sufficient for now, but might not in the future since therea more mailboxes coming in.

Not all mail are transactional, but half of them are user communication mail.

Thanked by (1)jarland
    edited August 2020

@mca5701 said: but might not in the future

Working on a relay product right now as well. A base version of the product is done but I'm not happy with the tricks I've had to pull to expose logs to the customer. It kind of works but has way too much overhead. Next iteration will probably be the first live product.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@jarland said:

Working on a relay product right now as well. A base version of the product is done but I'm not happy with the tricks I've had to pull to expose logs to the customer. It kind of works but has way too much overhead. Next iteration will probably be the first live product.

Looking forward to it :)

• @jarland said:

When / where can we sign up for BETA? :lol:
    I'd dump Mailchannels in a heartbeat, once you formally roll it out. All the very best for this one!

• @jarland said:

Waiting for that...

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I need to get around to switching, I have not even logged in yet :)

I only plan to use it for outbound mail for a few things that I use mandrillapp for, I am having issues wit mandrillapp delivering to gmail, a lot goes to spam/junk folders and I think that is because of all the tracking links they insert which I don't want anyway.

I might make a post about using mxroute on the LESBlog as I get it switch and show some before and after deliverability stats depending on what is available stats wise.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• I bought 1 from this link
    Great results! Thank you @jarland

Today I found that there is a 2020 promo also available. If I had known this earlier, I would have bought this one. "DA Large 2020 Promo" :/

@jarland said:

Mailchimp right now :'(

Thanked by (1)jarland
    edited August 2020

Best explanation I’ve seen for why not to just run potentially destructive “safe” commands without knowing the full scope of your input.

Meant to post this in the cest pit but oh well lol. I’m tired.

@K4Y5 said:

@jarland said:

When / where can we sign up for BETA? :lol:
    I'd dump Mailchannels in a heartbeat, once you formally roll it out. All the very best for this one!

We're getting a dedicated /23 just for this project, because that'll slash the overhead to expose the logs. This means that I'll need minor adjustments to my existing code and to add in WHMCS provisioning, which is stupid easy. Then it'll be ready for a first iteration.

Thanked by (3)vikram webmash K4Y5

• Can I use this to catch all emails bound for parked domains? Assume I have too many domains to manage manually, so I need to be able to add domains (easily) via an api.

@Adam1 said:
    Can I use this to catch all emails bound for parked domains? Assume I have too many domains to manage manually, so I need to be able to add domains (easily) via an api.

I’m not sure if directadmin API handles catchall but you would have access to that, if it helps.

• edited August 2020

@poisson said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@jarland said:

@PHP_Backend said:
    Noob question here.
    Let's say I start using mxroute from now but I am afraid that someday I suddenly will want to move away from them and host my email elsewhere, What preparation should I take from the day 1 that will make my migration pain-less?

You’d migrate out at any time using imapsync. We keep regular backups too, with actual consistency unlike the old days.

I am not yet become your customer. Alot of feature from MXRoute and good reviews are tempting me. I think I will be your customer this year.

I don't know why you are not doing it NOW

With this, I officially declared as a fan of MXroute

Thanked by (1)jarland

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.