Laptops by Nokia !

vyasvyas OG
edited December 2020 in General

I read about it on ProductHunt, and was curious to see what the whole deal was.
Turns out it is true, i5 processor based Windows laptop. For sale on Flipkart in India (they are amazon’s biggest competitor here). Around 800 US Dollars at current exchange rates

https://www.flipkart.com/nokia-purebook-x14-core-i5-10th-gen-8-gb-512-gb-ssd-windows-10-home-nki510ul85s-thin-light-laptop/p/itmdc10c8866a3a4

Squats are the new Push-ups

Thanked by (1)vimalware

Comments

• Why?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2020

@terrorgen said:
    Why?

Lol.. my thoughts too.
    But extended WFH policies by companies could be a factor. And school at home...
    Xiaomi laptop launch was good in sales numbers. Could have been a trigger. Nokia Brand name of course.

Anyways, there was an era when computer makers were moving to smaller form factors. Now the reverse.

• Nokia can expand market share in the infrastructure business, which they are currently best at.

but they choose to get into consumer electronics again, more so in a price sensitive market.

They can't beat Xiaomi. Period.

Thanked by (2)vyas vimalware

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Looks pretty good! They actually now make very solid phones for the price.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @terrorgen said:
    Nokia can expand market share in the infrastructure business, which they are currently best at.

Nokia isn’t making anything for consumers. They just lease the rights to use their name to hardware makers. Foxconn actually owns the phone manufacturer, good chance they also do the laptops.

• I found this...

Flipkart is also the brand licensee of Nokia televisions and streaming devices in India. Nokia launched its first smart TV exclusively with Flipkart in India last year. Earlier this year, Flipkart also exclusively launched Nokia-branded streaming devices in India. This means that similar to Nokia TVs and streaming device, Nokia laptops too will not be a part of Finnish company HMD Global that holds the licence to Nokia-branded mobiles.

I last bought a TV 6 years ago, and we hardly use it. I'm terribly disconnected from the "big screen" market. All thsi laptop talk now makes me want to buy a new laptop. (not really)

• Hey... In a world where Motorola is pumping out 4K Led tvs...

• Who's next? OnePlus?

These chinese OEMs just beg, borrow or steal shit from companies they manufacture for, re-badge and unleash it on to the market with QC as rigorous as screening of Gaddafi's hermetically sealed bodyguards. :lol:

Thanked by (1)BlaZe
  • @debaser said:

@terrorgen said:
    Nokia can expand market share in the infrastructure business, which they are currently best at.

Nokia isn’t making anything for consumers. They just lease the rights to use their name to hardware makers. Foxconn actually owns the phone manufacturer, good chance they also do the laptops.

Right. The phones are not made by nokia themselves.

Which is why I'm saying they are only good at the infrastructure business.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

For me, the best laptops for the money are used (2nd hand) company laptops, the business models (Dell, HP preferably).
    Paid some 350 euros for an i5, 8 GB RAM, discrete graphics card, 500 GB SSD - and the battery still in a surprisingly good condition.

The brand new prices charged, at least in Serbia, are outrageous. Especially when compared to build quality (not just the performance).

Thanked by (2)vimalware NanoG6

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Sold under license. Flipk> @bikegremlin said:

For me, the best laptops for the money are used (2nd hand) company laptops, the business models (Dell, HP preferably).
    Paid some 350 euros for an i5, 8 GB RAM, discrete graphics card, 500 GB SSD - and the battery still in a surprisingly good condition.

The brand new prices charged, at least in Serbia, are outrageous. Especially when compared to build quality (not just the performance).

I wish newegg sold similar hardware in India as they did in the us... since I am more interested in the hardware and don’t need or use windows.

I bought a Dell two years ago in a great deal for the Mrs.
    Promptly installed Ubuntu Mate. Promised her “support” for as long as she used Linux.
    Three months later, she asked me to reinstall windows 10.
    “I will not even touch the laptop if it has windows” I said.

You can guess how that went

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited December 2020

@vyas said:
    Sold under license. Flipk> @bikegremlin said:

I wish newegg sold similar hardware in India as they did in the us... since I am more interested in the hardware and don’t need or use windows.

Promptly installed Ubuntu Mate. Promised her “support” for as long as she used Linux.

It's Serbia - we got them smugglers! :)
    Mostly from German companies, they seem to replace hardware after only 3 years. Or people have become surprisingly good at stealing from banks. :)

"Come to Serbia - your bicycles are already here!" :)

Thanked by (2)vimalware Chievo

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

Mostly from German companies, they seem to replace hardware after only 3 years.

Talking to my ThinkPad 'guy', he sources from SGP when bigcos cycle out after 3year mark.

I've received mint condition x201 and x230 over the past 6yrs.

• @vimalware said:

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

Mostly from German companies, they seem to replace hardware after only 3 years.

Talking to my ThinkPad 'guy', he sources from SGP when bigcos cycle out after 3year mark.

I've received mint condition x201 and x230 over the past 6yrs.

Expect a call in a month or two :-)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• big companies like the ones I receive my paycheck from has a 3-4 year computer cycle.

Not sure if it is user habit or IT has loaded tons of stuff into the computer (I am sure it is not hardware), computers tend to become slow near the end of the cycle and everyone is looking forward to new computers.

• @terrorgen said:
    big companies like the ones I receive my paycheck from has a 3-4 year computer cycle.

Not sure if it is user habit or IT has loaded tons of stuff into the computer (I am sure it is not hardware), computers tend to become slow near the end of the cycle and everyone is looking forward to new computers.

Last year I discovered that the antivirus is crashing, and later unearthed an SSD malfunction.
    I asked IT technician to replace the hard drive, and reinstall with a clean OS image, not copying anything over.
    This turned a somewhat slow computer to a fast computer.

To keep computers fast, IT should periodically collect a subset of the computers and reinstall them without copying files. Then, disinfect the keyboard and issue to a different worker as a "new" computer.
    And no, coders don't get the best computers - you get 8GB like everyone else, and write your code in a remote virtual machine.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• 512GB SSD but only 8GB ram.

• edited December 2020

All those pre 2015 think pads came with a 320gb hitachi hdd, that I immediately throw in a drawer. I don't really trust them(the Hdd) to do anything except maybe a low end seedbox.

When the display and/ or keyboard fails, they're going to be low power homelab cluster members. ?