DIY Uptime monitor - show & tell

havochavoc OGContent Writer

Trying to troubleshoot some intermittent network instability & didn't feel like configuring smokeping. So instead I decided to see if I can hack something together that just continuously scans the 255 IPs in the subnet.

20 lines of code, thrown into a LXC is now streaming data to a InfluxDB for the ~25 devices/VMs on my net

https://pastebin.com/XKUY1J3M

...pretty chuffed with the outcome. :) Hopefully by tomorrow morning it'll have accumulated enough data to see what's going on

Thanked by (2)ferri chocolateshirt

Comments

• well done havoc , i know how you feel.

.. by tomorrow morning ..

you will be exploring/debugging something else ... so enjoy what is remaining of the 1st day and have a moment of

• Good job, awesome feeling to complete things like this. What are you using for the graph?

• I really want a self hosted hetrixtools server monitor, but there's always hetrixtools.

Thanked by (4)Naix Andrei ehab Decicus

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited January 2021

@chrisfy said:
    Good job, awesome feeling to complete things like this. What are you using for the graph?

No separate tool - InfluxDB 2 has charting built in. So much easier than a prometheus+grafana stack.

@dahartigan said:
    I really want a self hosted hetrixtools server monitor, but there's always hetrixtools.

There is always netdata. They've got a live demo on their site & install is like a 2 minute job. Though not technically an uptime tool I guess. Or zabbix if you like complicated.

• SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@dahartigan said:
    I really want a self hosted hetrixtools server monitor, but there's always hetrixtools.

Yesterday i finished the back-end code for a "blacklist monitor" project i am working on. Currently working on the front-end.

One of the follow steps is to evaulate uptime monitoring from multiple locations.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★