Automated encrypted backups?

Hey, I need to set up a system where I back up some files, encrypt them, and put them on a webdav backup via rclone. I saw a few articles about using Borgbackup and Duplicity. Anyone have experience with these and know the pros and cons of each? I have used Cryptomator in the past but this was on my personal Desktops and such.

Comments

• Rclone can encrypt files on the fly: https://rclone.org/crypt/

• I've been running BorgBackup for a few years now. It's my main solution to backup offsite. I usually install borg on both the source and storage and let it do the transfer via SSH.

I've never used Duplicity but read some complaints of instability on large backups due to the db size. I believe it was raindog.

Thanked by (3)Solaire NodePing Wolveix
  • @beagle said: I've never used Duplicity but read some complaints of instability on large backups due to the db size. I believe it was raindog.

Yep, I've switched from Duplicity to BorgBackup a few years ago for the same reason, it's hardly stable with larger backups (> 100 GB). Borg has been absolutely solid so far.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • syncthing. It doesn't do encryption but is pretty much set it and forget it.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Duplicacy. Setup once, put in a cron job, done. Webdav supported natively.

• Borgmatic on Linux