Messaging Apps

2»

Comments

• wankelwankel OG
    edited January 2021

@Aaron said:
    What apps are you using for messaging?

Matrix (matrix-synapse) as server, Element as client (mostly).

SMS and XMPP for those that are not on Matrix yet.

• I'm using Discord, Signal, and Zoom mainly. Google Meet, SMS, Snapchat, Instagram, and GroupMe as well.

• I had already made up my mind to nuke WA on Feb 1st, until they pushed back the TOS forced-opt-in to May.
    I got 25 ppl to install Signal. ?

I've always made it policy not to reply to clients on Whatsapp, politely redirecting them to calls+email
    I curated it strictly as a friends+family space, to prepare for exactly this day.

Be very careful of your 'tools' owning you, rather than becoming one for a megacorp.

• Telegram most prefer, but I accept WhatsApp and signal too. I and my friends use telegram at the very beginning since it launch.

Action and Reaction in history

• I prefer IRC

• @vimalware said:
    I had already made up my mind to nuke WA on Feb 1st, until they pushed back the TOS forced-opt-in to May.
    I got 25 ppl to install Signal. ?

I've always made it policy not to reply to clients on Whatsapp, politely redirecting them to calls+email
    I curated it strictly as a friends+family space, to prepare for exactly this day.

Be very careful of your 'tools' owning you, rather than becoming one for a megacorp.

Or you can become a tool yourself!

On that note... I discourage WhatsApp messages for one of my businesses. Though recently one person did call me at 9:30 pm for a sort of trivial matter.

• In descending frequency of use:
    Signal

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research