LastPass remove features from free plan

beaglebeagle OG
edited February 2021 in General

LastPass offers access across two device types – computers (including all browsers running on desktops and laptops) or mobile devices (including mobile phones, smart watches, and tablets). Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2021/02/changes-to-lastpass-free/

I'm giving Bitwarden a try. What password manager have you all been using?

Password Managers
  1. Which one are you using?71 votes
    1. 1Password
        8.45%
    2. Bitwarden
      43.66%
    3. Browser (Chrome, FireFox, etc)
        4.23%
    4. Dashlane
        4.23%
    5. Keepass
      21.13%
    6. Keeper
        0.00%
    7. LastPass
      16.90%
    8. Other (please comment below)
        1.41%

Comments

• My password is o7j7k3w5.
    I post this comment on forums so I can just look for it when I forget my password. No need for any fancy password manager.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

I was considering using LastPass as the main password manager in my new company. Going with the free version to start with and then moving over to the Team alternative when adding more people to the company.

This might change my mind. Thanks for the information.

Thanked by (1)beagle

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

I used LastPass a few years ago. When I switched to Bitwarden I never looked back :)

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Very happy with Enpass One-Time payment plan :) Picked it up at some 15€?!

Thanked by (2)beagle tridinebandim
  • I signed up for LastPass free in early 2017, and till this day still using this, probably switching to Bitwarden soon, this news changes my mind

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • Used lastpass few years ago. Currently using Dashlane. Grabbed a 5 year deal. Planned to switch self hosted bitwarden after current Dashlane subscription expire.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • I use Dashlane’a family plan as it helps negate the need for me to do IT support for people who can’t remember passwords and other data, but back up once a month to Enpass.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • 1Password. Super simple in use, gives warnings when a website has been compromised and syncs with iCloud/Dropbox/GDrive.

Thanked by (3)beagle Unixfy mikewazar
  • 1Password is by far the best, but they have been very dishonest about their business model migration and any day soon will pull the plug on standalone licenses. They care about enterprise customers mostly.

Bitwarden has earned lots of goodwill from the community but they are too new and will need to change pricing sooner than later. The software also lacks some polish.

The KeePass ecosystem is a stable and free, but inconvenient for most users.

There is basically no password manager which is perfect or nearly perfect, but 1Password is probably the most convenient and best supported if you do not care about their VC funding.

Thanked by (4)beagle Unixfy mikewazar Mew
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

You can use one account for all the computers, and another account for all the mobile phones?

Of just switch to KeePass. :)

Thanked by (1)beagle

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

Been using Bitwarden for a couple of years now after switching from LastPass. Would recommend them, their browser applications and phone app has been great so far. I much prefer them over LastPass/Dashlane/1Password which I've used previously.

Thanked by (1)beagle

Syuh - sftp, rsync & rclone accessible storage from 50GB to TBs.

• This was bound to happen. When LastPass was acquired by LogMeIn 5 years ago, it was a matter of time when they would start stripping down the free version. They did the same to Hamachi.

Personally I use KeePassXC. Indeed, it does not offer any synchronization feature(s) but you can use virtually any file sharing/syncing service (Dropbox etc) for that since it's just the database file you need to have.

Bitwarden looks nice, but I don't really like opening up my password manager to the entire world over internet and without it, it loses it's key feature imho; built-in sync. Additionally KeePassXC gives me peace of mind that my family can access my accounts should happen anything to me without having to maintain some VPS running Bitwarden. I have a copy of my KeePassXC database on a USB-drive in a fire & waterproof vault that I update periodically, for emergency situations.

@bikegremlin said:
    You can use one account for all the computers, and another account for all the mobile phones?

In theory you can, but I don't see how that's convenient. How are you going to keep both accounts in sync?

Thanked by (2)beagle bikegremlin
  • I paid $10/year for Bitwarden to support them even I dont use the premium features.

I dont need fancy UI for password manager :)

Thanked by (4)AaronSS dosai beagle ialexpw
  • After trying around 10 (?) different password managers, I've been using 1Password for the last 2 years or so. It's great.
    Plus Canva and other hacked sites have 1 year free 1Password offers :joy:

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • 1Password, for no other reason that I picked it out of all those on offer and it has been fine. Been using it for just over a year.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • I've been using LastPass free for a few years now. Thought about switching to self hosted options but I think it's too much of a hassle.

I think I'm just going to stay with LastPass and pay for it as I'm pretty happy with it either way. And I don't like the thought of migrating.

Alternatives could be 1Password or Dashlane, but I'm not familiar with the migration.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • Going to shill my own talk I did a couple years ago on Syncthing + Keepass... :)

https://lfnw.org/conferences/2019/program/proposals/229

Thanked by (3)beagle mikho Mason

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

@CamoYoshi said:
    Going to shill my own talk I did a couple years ago on Syncthing + Keepass... :)

I use MEGA.nz and KeePass combo.
    Apart from one sync hiccup (not sure what exactly had caused it, but client re-install helped), it's been working fine for years - on both Linux, Windows and IOS stuff.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• edited February 2021

@CamoYoshi said:
    Going to shill my own talk I did a couple years ago on Syncthing + Keepass... :)

I totally agree with Syncthing + Keepass. Sadly these also exists iOS, which does not seem to do Syncthing?!

Edit: Oh wait, there is a syncthing app now! Nice!

• @Groentjuh said:

@CamoYoshi said:

I totally agree with Syncthing + Keepass. Sadly these also exists iOS, which does not seem to do Syncthing?!

Is there a decent, up-to-date Keepass app for iOS?

• @Nekki said:

@Groentjuh said:

@CamoYoshi said:

I only just discovered I can get my db on iOS devices... If you're rich you can probably buy KeePassium. If you're not maybe authpass?

@Groentjuh said:

@Nekki said:

@Groentjuh said:

@CamoYoshi said:

I only just discovered I can get my db on iOS devices... If you're rich you can probably buy KeePassium. If you're not maybe authpass?

KeePass Touch is free and works fine (on my phone at least).

• Been on 1Pass for Families for a few years - even have a 25% recurring discount.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • I always used Lastpass but now switched to Bitwarden. Works great I like it even more.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • Used Bitwarden from the beginning.... Never ever wanted to change!!!

Thanked by (1)Wolveix
  • I used Lastpass for almost 5 years, recently switched to Bitwarden.

• Yup, it seems I need to migrate to Bitwarden as well.

To those who have used Bitwarden and LastPass, any significant differences I need to be aware of? The same question goes or the free vs. paid version of Bitwarden?

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @casadebamburojo said:
    Yup, it seems I need to migrate to Bitwarden as well.

To those who have used Bitwarden and LastPass, any significant differences I need to be aware of? The same question goes or the free vs. paid version of Bitwarden?

I've used LastPass for many years (ended up there when they acquired Xmarks in 2010) and used to pay for it until they significantly increased the premium fee a few years ago. I still used the free version for a few years after and finnally changed to bitwarden a year ago.

The main difference (and I still can't believe this has been resolved yet) is the requirement for internet access for bitwarden to work. If you are not online you can't access your vault - not only passwords but notes and anything else you keep in there. I've actually just found out about this about a month ago but it's a dealbreaker for me now that I'm aware of this. I'm currently looking for another alternative and may end up going the KeePass (or KeePassXC) path. I'm still trying to understand what happens if you change the db file in two separate locations without connectivity - I imagine data loss is inevitable is such scenario.

Bitwarden would be perfect if they implemented a way to work without connectivity and then update the vault when back online but this seems to be a major complaint for years and nothing has been done about it. It's the only reason why I haven't supported the project yet and will inevitably lead me to find another solution.

Thanked by (1)casadebamburojo
  • ivanhivanh OG
    edited February 2021

@Devas said:

@casadebamburojo said:
    Yup, it seems I need to migrate to Bitwarden as well.

I've used LastPass for many years (ended up there when they acquired Xmarks in 2010) and used to pay for it until they significantly increased the premium fee a few years ago. I still used the free version for a few years after and finnally changed to bitwarden a year ago.

The main difference (and I still can't believe this has been resolved yet) is the requirement for internet access for bitwarden to work. If you are not online you can't access your vault - not only passwords but notes and anything else you keep in there. I've actually just found out about this about a month ago but it's a dealbreaker for me now that I'm aware of this. I'm currently looking for another alternative and may end up going the KeePass (or KeePassXC) path. I'm still trying to understand what happens if you change the db file in two separate locations without connectivity - I imagine data loss is inevitable is such scenario.

Bitwarden would be perfect if they implemented a way to work without connectivity and then update the vault when back online but this seems to be a major complaint for years and nothing has been done about it. It's the only reason why I haven't supported the project yet and will inevitably lead me to find another solution.

Your information is wrong. Without an internet connection, you can access you vault in read only mode. Add, update, delete functions won't work.
    Using bitwarden since its early inception and have accessed my vault without the internet a bunch of times. I have a mate who deleted his self hosted BW and was still able to access his vault from cache.

• edited February 2021

@ivanh said:
    Your information is wrong. Without an internet connection, you can access you vault in read only mode. Add, update, delete functions won't work.
    Using bitwarden since its early inception and have accessed my vault without the internet a bunch of times. I have a mate who deleted his self hosted BW and was still able to access his vault from cache.

I've literally had this issue happening to me a few weeks ago using the chrome extension which led me to investigate the issue. Not sure if you are referring to the desktop app? Or if you keep your vault unlocked between reboots? I could not sign in to the vault when I was offline - this did not happen with lastpass. Try to sign off, go offline and try to sign in again - no access to the vault.

EDIT: I should have tried it before posting - I've just did that experiment again and you are right, i can log in offline. Still, this did happen to me for some weird reason a few weeks back. I spent some time looking through posts in their forum and it seemed to be a recurring complaint. Maybe I had cleared cache and app data on chrome and that's why it didn't work. Still, good to know and thanks for pointing it out, it makes me a lot more confident using bitwarden moving forward. But nevertheless, creating and storing new passwords while offline is a feature implemented in lastpass (I never had any issue with it) and I think should definitely be implemented in Bitwarden as well.