Pick your new Admin for LES

InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
edited February 2021 in General

The nominations have been made and below are the nominees, it is time to vote. Registrations have been set to invite only and deliberately broken to prevent and shenanigans, not that I think there will be any but to remove the doubt from the tinfoil hat brigade. fixing this will be the new admin's first job :D

If you do not see a name you nominated it is because they have either publicly or privately said they are not able or willing to take on the role.

Nominees with a small sentence or 2 about them from my perspective based on my observations over the past 11 or so years in the LE* community. sorry if the limited amount of text seems reductive I just want to keep it short so it is an overview only.

if nominees want to puta more detailed post on themselves about themselves that is up to them.

@joepie91 - A real advocate for freedom of speech, expression, open internet and a hell of a coder, always positioning himself in a neutral position even when all around him are screaming for blood on both sides of the issue.

@vyas - Always the first to volunteer to help, often going above and beyond without even being asked, clearly a very motivated individual, he seems to genuinely enjoy writing guides and long-form articles and has helped me understand many mistakes I have made and has been a major contributor to LES from day 1.

@Not_Oles - Possibly the most polite and enthusiastic personality in the entire LE* world with a genuine interest that runs so deep he even set up a business exclusively catering for LES. as a regular content writer for LES his articles frequently top the charts in terms of most viewed (according to google)

@mikho - One of the original editors on LowEndBox (pre colocrossing era), someone literally entrenched in the LE* world, previous mod/admin experience at LET and the original LES forum for those that remember it. very level headed and competent.

@Mason - Involved with every single offshoot from LET and LET itself he has shown that he can put in the time because he genuinely enjoys being here, he is the reason we have mods today, he changed my mind on running things solo, he always seems to have the community at heart.. oh and let us not forget, he made YABS!

There are some combo deals to be had here, a few people have said they would be happy to work together with other nominees, some even asking for their names to be put forward as a multiple person choice having discussed it already.

I have decided to put the names forward individually anyway without indicating who is wanting to work with who because I feel this will give a better result and frankly whoever gets the majority can then make that choice regardless and it could end up being all of the above :) as soon as this is done the transfer of power will begin.

My final word on what is probably my last big action here.

I am not going anywhere, I am part of the community, I will be here as a hosting provider representative and as me personally only. I do not want or expect any special treatment, favours or any leniencies, I do not want a badge next to my name that would give any new people any indication of my previous role.

I fully understand people have opinions on what should happen next, I did not mean to be rude but I have ignored many of them recently because at this stage I do not feel it is my place to set in motion anything that would have to be inherited by the new owner.

My motives have been called into question from day 1 in relation to this place, I did, however, make it clear from day 1 that this eventuality was always going to happen i.e. handing the place back to the community. I understand fully why many people did not believe this and honestly on the other side of the fence I may have been sceptical myself.

I am not financially motivated as a person, I understand the role of money and I am not naive but I do not place personal financial gain ahead of my own moral compass or lifestyle choices, I would say I am fairly unique in that regard when compared to most others and I am far from materialistic so this decision was not hard to make.

I always knew when the very first conversation happened to sell Inception Hosting to Clouvider that accelerating moving this forum back into community ownership would be required and I have always been ok with that, Clouvider were not interested in any way in owning this forum but for the sake of accelerating what was always going to happen, I wanted to remove any doubt. This was a personal choice and one I am happy to make.

I plan to hold control of the lowendspirit domain only for a year or so to prevent any potential corruption, this is not meant to reflect on any of the people above I just think it is a wise basic step.

The infrastructure and where it sits is entirely up to the new owner, I am happy to cover the costs for a while so that they have time to get things sorted and make their own decisions.

Absolutely no caveats have been made from my side in terms of how they run the site, they are free to change the platform, prices, adverts, anything, it will be theirs and I will not influence anything in that regard it will be entirely under the direction of the new admins. If it fails it fails if it becomes a $1,000,000 / year empire I don't expect a penny.

The only thing I will personally make sure of is that this site does not fall into colocrossing control even by association, I got a few messages about the post I made on the nominations thread, I was never serious that was me just shooting shit with Nekki.

I am prepared to stay on for a short time (30 - 60 days) as an admin/mod to help the transition but only if specifically requested otherwise I expect to be demoted as soon as the transfer of control is complete.

I know lots of people will have lots of opinions again I ask that you do not flood this thread with them I am sure whoever takes over will invite them at the right time.

This is not a sad event for me I am really excited to see where this goes, it is not exactly conforming to the ultimate plans that I had, but in life, nothing ever does eh!

I start a lot of sentences here with I

I am working on using something other that I

I

It was fun while it lasted, cheers.

Ant.

https://inceptionhosting.com
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Comments

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

To allow the community to select the new admin, I hope that nominated persons don't put their vote on themself.

Thanked by (3)Mason Not_Oles vyas

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@mikho said:
    To allow the community to select the new admin, I hope that nominated persons don't put their vote on themself.

When I look at the nominated people here, I don't think anyone would do that :)

Thanked by (3)lentro Not_Oles MichaelCee
  • I'm back from the future where @Mason is the Gran Señor. Everybody talks in Spanish too.

We also discovered @Nekki is @jarland and @WSS.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I should have said I will close this down on Monday midday (UK time)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Thanks to everyone who nominated me and to anybody who votes for me! Whether I am elected or not, I will continue to do the best I can for everyone here. LES has been wonderful for me! I've met many awesome people here who have taught me a lot! Thanks to @AnthonySmith for giving this place a huge jump start! I look forward to LES' awesome future! ¡Saludos! ??????️

Thanked by (1)Mason

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• I really do hope we'll get a TEAM!

• DewlanceDewlance Hosting ProviderOG

Hard to decide and vote.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles artem

Dewlance - Affordable Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller Hosting
    WHMCS Addon - DemoTiger Video KB - Tutorial Videos for Hosting Providers.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

my vote is secret.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• my vote is encrypted

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • I voted @joepie91, fucking excellent choice whoever nominated him.

• Add the option of voting all of the guys on there

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • I went for the don't care vote as I don't really spend that much time here to know all those nominated enough to cast a fair vote. Good luck to whoever takes it on and I hope it grows and develops.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

I voided my right to vote. It's like the opposite of politics - all the candidates are too good. Great people.

Thanked by (3)AaronSS Not_Oles Ympker
  • The king is dead, long live the king!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • servarica_haniservarica_hani Hosting ProviderOG

Well for me they all seem good but what missing for me is what their vision for LES
    Is it possible that all new LES admin candidates give brief explanation of their plan or strategy for LES ?

This will make the voting based on facts for me not just the more active/familiar (which is still important factor)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@servarica_hani said:
    Well for me they all seem good but what missing for me is what their vision for LES
    Is it possible that all new LES admin candidates give brief explanation of their plan or strategy for LES ?

This will make the voting based on facts for me not just the more active/familiar (which is still important factor)

https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/56568/#Comment_56568 ?

Thanked by (1)servarica_hani

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Congrats for @Mason B)

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Ympker
  • joepie91joepie91 OGServices Provider

@servarica_hani said:

I can't speak for other nominees, but I can clarify my vision at least:

I've always considered the LowEnd community to be one that should be independent from both any provider's individual interests, as well as collective provider influence; providers and the rest of the community should be able to 'live in harmony', so to say. Which also means that the community should always have the freedom to uncover sketchy business at a provider, and that the community shouldn't just become an advertising board like eg. WHT.

That having been said, you've probably noticed that while I have been around for a long time, I'm not around frequently. If I were to be chosen as a new administrator, my involvement would likely be somewhat limited, leaving the day-to-day operations to the existing moderator team (assuming that they wish to stay on), whom I trust to make the right decisions. This is something I want to make clear upfront, so that people know what to expect.

I would see my role mainly as one of a technical administrator, being available to resolve any technical issues as they crop up (and I actually mean being available, unlike a certain other forum :tongue:), and maintaining the infrastructure. Aside from that, I would likely involve myself with determining/maintaining the community rules, and resolving any conflicts that can't be handled by mods for whatever reason. Everyone who knows me probably knows that I'm insufferably logical and blunt about those sorts of things :smile:

Operationally speaking, I would keep on the mod team (and be open to adding more mods, if needed/desired); move the hosting towards some server that I am actually paying for to avoid conflicts of interest; and long-term, probably work towards getting rid of advertising slots and replacing it with community funding instead. But especially that last point would be a process, as of course I don't want to haphazardly remove ads and break the self-sustainability of LES :)

(Also, I expect that most people know this, but for those who don't: I don't run or work at a hosting provider, and have no intention of doing so. My job is freelance software developer and tutor, so that should cause no conflicts of interest.)

• All hail the new master @Mason .

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting
This discussion has been closed.