Openlitespeed alone or with CF?

Hello Guys,

recently i started using CF along with openlitespeed but some reviews says, OLS alone is better than using it along with CF.

did anyone try any experiments here?

if so what are your results and suggestion?

--
the site in discussion gets around 20k visits per day and it is a wordpress site.

thanks.

Comments

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

I would suggest CF for the added security. CF is sometimes bad because it won't cache the site unless someone accesses it first (meaning longer loading times), but with 20k daily visits, that should be no problem, and most content should be served by the CF CDN.

Thanked by (1)seenu
  • @lentro said:
    I would suggest CF for the added security. CF is sometimes bad because it won't cache the site unless someone accesses it first (meaning longer loading times), but with 20k daily visits, that should be no problem, and most content should be served by the CF CDN.

I access my content every day. Gotta keep my analytics busy and on its toe!!!

Jokes aside, I am not aware of a single reason why Cloudflare and OLS can't work side by side .

Buy maybe @vyas can share some of his experience. My man tried everything.

Thanked by (3)lentro vyas Ympker
  • yeah, as per CF stats 84.06% cached.

• @seriesn said: Jokes aside, I am not aware of a single reason why Cloudflare and OLS can't work side by side .

They are working fine side by side for more than a month.

but last night i read an article/review where the guy says, pagespeed improved after disabling CF, so i want to know insights from pros here.

• @seenu said:

@seriesn said: Jokes aside, I am not aware of a single reason why Cloudflare and OLS can't work side by side .

but last night i read an article/review where the guy says, pagespeed improved after disabling CF, so i want to know insights from pros here.

Well that would depend on many factors. @Neoon can share some.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2020

Disable cache in CF page rules also kills their CDN that is sub optimal for many regions. Use CF for dns and firewall rules (js challenge or ip or country level access to wp-admin etc.)
    At your traffic level you might be using BunnyCDN or a cdn for images and optimizer for scripts anyways.

If not use the LS cache plugin for Quic cloud CDN integration and do CF settings. I had tested it out it works rather well.

• thanks for the insights @vyas

do you recommend quic cdn over CF for my use case?

99% of users are from India and CF has more PoPs than bunnycdn so i am sticking to it for now.

• CF has 10 pops I think in India, Bunny has 4. Quic has 1 in Gurugram. CF will route traffic to Germany or Singapore if you use free tier of CDN. Paid probably this issue does not arise.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited December 2020

@seriesn said:

@seenu said:

@seriesn said: Jokes aside, I am not aware of a single reason why Cloudflare and OLS can't work side by side .

Providing JS, CSS... in one file each duh.
    Remove all external shit, put that internal, duh.

• @Neoon said:

@seriesn said:

@seenu said:

Providing JS, CSS... in one file each duh.
    Remove all external shit, put that internal, duh.

well, wordpress in first place is shit, too many files from themes and plugins.

• @vyas said:
    CF has 10 pops I think in India, Bunny has 4. Quic has 1 in Gurugram. CF will route traffic to Germany or Singapore if you use free tier of CDN. Paid probably this issue does not arise.

today i tried pinging two of my websites and CF ips are from US (atleast from whatismyip.com and many other ip sites)

and my vps is in EU, so i feel cloudflare actually making my site slower :tongue:

• Yup,

that's the bane of free tier of CF

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

best is to find out what server it is served from and shift vps to that location I guess

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @vyas said:
    Yup,

that's the bane of free tier of CF

but are you sure, going for pro makes them serve from Indian POPs?

(have you seen it or read that anywhere?)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021
  • edited January 2021

trace shows

fl=112f6
    h=domain.com
    ip=myip
    ts=1609948335.534
    visit_scheme=http
    uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.88 Safari/537.36
    colo=HYD
    http=http/1.1
    loc=IN
    tls=off
    sni=off
    warp=off
    gateway=off
    gateway_account_id=nil

and i am not really feeling it is slow but the point of using a CDN is to get data from nearest POP whereas ping shows i am getting data from US when i am browsing from India.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2021

@seenu said:
    trace show

fl=112f6
    h=domain.com
    ip=myip
    ts=1609948335.534
    visit_scheme=http
    uag=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.88 Safari/537.36
    colo=HYD
    http=http/1.1
    loc=IN
    tls=off
    sni=off
    warp=off
    gateway=off
    gateway_account_id=nil

Interesting. I always get BOM though a local (BLR) is also an option. Wonder its because my server is in EU?
    Same as yours... instead of HYD and Chennai BOM gives food for thought
    https://www.cloudflare.com/en-in/network/

• my server is in EU and i am from hyd, so may be thats why it is serving from HYD.

• eventhough ping shows US ip, time is almost 1ms all the time.

• _MS__MS_ OG
    edited January 2021

@seenu said:
    eventhough ping shows US ip, time is almost 1ms all the time.

That ping tool is showing the country of the IP range owner company (Cloudflare), and not the country from where the data is being delivered.

Thanked by (3)seenu vyas Wolveix
  • edited January 2021

How is OpenLiteSpeed better than, let's say, nginx?

• many sites including their own site claims it is faster than apache and nginx but for me, selling point is lscache plugin.

• hostEONShostEONS Hosting ProviderOG

CF uses anycast, so you may see the IP from US as IP are probably provided by ARINE or GeoIP database have their location set as US, but it's announced at multiple locations or basically on all their POP so content is served from their nearest POP though I'm not sure about POP location for paid and free accounts

hostEONS.com - 9 Locations for VPS (US and EU).. Free Blesta License, Free Windows 2019 License and more. Shared DA Hosting. AS142036 .. Ryzen 7950X Based VDS in SLC, LA and Dallas

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

ols can handle more load without optimisation than others. speed about same if the CPU is good. otherwise I find ols is slightly faster with (php) caching compare to nginx w caching.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Not to be rude but i decided to create account on LES(been lurking since it started) urging to comment here.
    I've used apache for like 4 years, OLS 1 year and using nginx since 2019, OLS is good if you are migrating from unoptimized apache/httpd but for me nginx for some reason(i didn't dig deep into it) is providing me better performance with or without caching. So how exactly did i mesaure these things? i setup two servers for nginx and OLS each and tested with gtmetrix nginx was around 89% fast while OLS was 84% ofcourse it's for dynamic content, static content wise OLS is much faster than nginx or apache or both combined. I am still digging nginx with load balacing and failover servers so far so good, if you are wordpress try wp-rocket with nginx and see if it can be good choice for lscache with OLS, whatever you decided to use is totally upto you.

Thanked by (1)hostEONS

Active lurker nothing more nothing less, want to discuss something? i am all ears!

• @hostEONS said: content is served from their nearest POP though I'm not sure about POP location for paid and free accounts

They prioritize their paid customer first. Cloudflare basically selects POP based on server load, user location & website plan. If a POP load is high, they will stop serving from that POP for a free user. It will impact usually impact locations where bandwidth is expensive. Here in Bangladesh, CF serves me from local POP in the off-peak hours. In the peak hours, it's from Singapore.

Thanked by (1)hostEONS