IBGP within VPN tunnel

Hello,
I am new to BGP. I understand how BGP works at a higher level as well as use case for eBGP. However I a still not clear on a particular use case where iBGP is run inside a VPN tunnel. Would somebody be so kind to educate me the advantage of doing so?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Comments

• spliticesplitice Hosting ProviderOG

Have you see DN42?

X4B - DDoS Protection: Affordable Anycast DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation with PoPs in the Europe, Asia, North and South America.
    Latest Offer: Brazil Launch 2020 Offer

• DN42 is still using eBGP, since everyone needs to get their own ASN, although a private one.
    Some people run iBGP within their own ASN, which is what I am curious about.

• hzrhzr OG
    edited November 2019

It's the exact same thing as eBGP. I can send several /24s to my aggregation router IBGP between smaller areas, which sends on a single /20 ebgp to upstream .

It's also can using heartbeat-esque keepalive /32s for HA/failover.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

@terrorgen said:
    Some people run iBGP within their own ASN, which is what I am curious about.

You can do that with DN42 too. When I was hooked up I did so I could connect my home on a dynamic IP via a VPS.

We run iBGP between all our Filtering PoPs and between our Route sources (2) and each PoP for centralized BGP configuration. No aggregation just route relay with some filtering & community adjustments.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

X4B - DDoS Protection: Affordable Anycast DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation with PoPs in the Europe, Asia, North and South America.

• @hzr said:
    It's the exact same thing as eBGP. I can send several /24s to my aggregation router IBGP between smaller areas, which sends on a single /20 ebgp to upstream .

It's also can using heartbeat-esque keepalive /32s for HA/failover.

what is the advantage compared to static route?

edited November 2019

Usually it's for failover so the failing end can be withdrawn if it's session fails.