Sounds like you’re on IRC ☺️

good old days 🤪

• @psychoid said:

@thedp said:

@psychoid said:
    nac.net and then staminus and gigeservers 😊

good old days 🤪

Your handle here is the German dude who was part of a group called tCl a.k.a the cool lam3rz, who created the legendary psyBNC.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @thedp said:

@psychoid said:

@thedp said:

@psychoid said:
    nac.net and then staminus and gigeservers 😊

good old days 🤪

Your handle here is the German dude who was part of a group called tCl a.k.a the cool lam3rz, who created the legendary psyBNC.

ya i know, but i am not that guy 😁

• edited April 2021

First ever "server" was a BeastNode minecraft server back in like 2012/2013. I remember having a good experience with them, but I didn't expect too much for a for-fun server with friends.

Got my first shared hosting from LevelHosting. It was cheap and that's pretty much it.

First VPS was from LEB and it was exactly this post: https://lowendbox.com/blog/front-range-hosting-6month-512mb-kvm-vps-in-atlanta-and-los-angeles/ Don't remember much from it. Was prolly ok.

• @SMARTHOST said:
    AOL PrimeHost...back in like early 90's. ;-)
    Compuserve for BBS/FTP hosting prior to that even though...

Same era :p MNet from France... My first access provider, email, and first page (yes no plural =) ) That was in 1992!

• @Muffin said:

@rajprakash said: No one saying Geocities??

>

@Muffin said: But even before that, I used the free web hosting site freewebs / geocities year 2005? At the age of 10 ...

Up

That's what I get for reading on mobile and scrollin' too fast. Dangit I hate when I'm wrong! :)

• DecicusDecicus OG
    edited April 2021

My first webhosting provider was 000Webhost I think (I was in middle school and it was free)

I mentioned my first VPS provider in the other thread:

NFOServers, June 2013.
    1 dedicated core, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB storage and 1 TB bandwidth.
    $24.99 per month (the "non Linux-only" package, since I wanted Windows support).

Pricing for the same specs have been updated since then, but The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine has the page archived.

Pretty sure I grabbed like 2 more (both with Windows again), before I eventually explored Linux.
    I never went back to Windows servers after that :)

Something I just realized about NFOServers is that I ordered their Lite webhosting plan shortly after ordering that server - and it's still active to this day. Though it's mostly hosting old, static websites that I'm keeping for historical purposes.

Two of my "oldest" and still active servers are both hosted via Hosthatch, from late 2015. One of them is an OpenVZ server running on Ubuntu 14 that probably shouldn't even be connected to the internet, to be honest. :joy:

Thanked by (1)hosthatch
  • @Decicus said:
    My first webhosting provider was 000Webhost I think (I was in middle school and it was free)

I had an account with 000webhost as well.

If free hosting counts, I used the free web space on the high school server, circa 2003, and caused an incident significant enough that they shutdown the web space altogether.

The clueless administrator setup the web space like this:

• There are two Windows servers.

• The internal web server has a web-based upload script where we can upload our web pages.
      • The external web server allows anyone is view the pages.
    • The web space allows ASP scripts.

• Everyone's web page is executing in the same IIS user, as well as the school homepage.
    • Our pages are stored on the internal web server, while the external web server mounts the folder via SAMBA.
    • In order to mount the folder, the external IIS is authenticated to the internal server as Administrator.
    • What can go wrong?

The uploader only allows one time at a time, so I wrote my own uploader (password protected) that supports selecting 5 files together.
    It worked for a while, but one day, I forgot to enter the destination folder, and then the frontpage of the internal website got overwritten by my personal webpage.

I'm panicking and tried to find a backup on the two web servers, but couldn't find any.
    Eventually I made a redirect to the external website, and quickly left the computer lab.

Webmaster was shocked that the website got hacked.
    They had no backup and had to remake the internal homepage from scratch.

I'm caught a week later.
    They found the offending IP address in IIS logs, which belongs to the computer lab.
    My name was on the sign-in sheet of that seat.
    I tried to argue that this couldn't prove I deleted the web page, because I could have left the computer lab early that day and someone else took the seat.
    Nevertheless, I was banned from all school computers for a month.

The student web space was shutdown to prevent similar incidents.
    I moved my web pages to 000webhost and several other free hosting services after that.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@yoursunny said: Eventually I made a redirect to the external website, and quickly left the computer lab.

What might have happened if, instead of leaving, you had talked to the clueless Administrator and explained what had transpired?

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• For VPS, it may be DO, or some random one on LEB. I cannot remember which exactly, since it is about 8 years ago.
    Nevertheless, those are idle servers.

Since last year, I started to use VPS to do something, and I started with linode, and switched to some low end providers now.

For dedis, I just rent one last month, and I'm still writing code which is expected to run on that :'(

• linode 64MB ram UML for $19/month , ran slackware with it reselling shell access,psybnc and custom irc vhosts , support was fast in irc chatroom

idling hosts from : MrVM , Ramnode , WebHorizon , Wishosting , Gullo , Hostens , Inception , Hosterlabs , Xinix , Virmach

• Sharehosting - Bluehost,

1st VpS - Alpharacks ( deadpooled ),
    2nd VpS - Hosthatch ( still renewing )

• Shared host... directi.com
    Used to work there as tech support (in high school) . so practically free hosting
    Cobalt Raq servers management...

First vps chicagpvps 2013

Enterprise Package - (03/06/2013 - 03/05/2014)
    Operating System: CentOS 6 x86_64 $254.49 USD

Promotional Code: STEALOFADEAL - $214.49 USD Recurring Discount $-214.49 USD

Sub Total: $40.00 USD
    Credit: $0.00 USD

Total: $40.00 USD

First dedicated online.net kidechere €1.99 and kimsufi ks1 €4.99

And now tonnes of hosts with premium idling via dedicated servers....

• Burst net in scranton (butcher shop that became a dc IIRC) maybe back in 2008\9.

• For VPS it was either NodeServ or Crissic. Not sure, been a while.
    For Dedi was everybody's date to the dance, Kimsufi.

• Vps was local one, but the international one was w00thosting, and for dedi ofcourse kimsufi

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

My first provider was HostHorde. I used to run a small Minecraft server back in 2014, it taught me a lot. They were pretty alright back then from what I recall. Although, I do remember bouncing around a couple of providers and then I settled on GGServers for a little while. HostHorde is still around, I remember they used to do an "unlimited" plan which was since removed. The first VPS/Dedicated provider I ever used was OVH, they were pretty solid. I remember I bought 4 Multicraft licenses for my OVH VPS thinking that I need 1 for each Minecraft server.

I am a representative of Advin Servers