cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Bankruptcy/dead pool?

Comments

• So he now owes just short of 100 grand? (If we take that 37k into account + the court thing).

He had to sell IPs to make the 37k? So what about that 60 tho?

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Falzo said:

@willie said:
    Do I want to know what the new update says?

I do see that one of my two 1tb storage plans (the same one as before) is still up. So there's that.

Hello All ,

I have not connected in the last days because i am focused in calculate the impact of storage plans affected (not all was affected like many sugest here) , we had 3000 clients afected in this shit so we have decided to make a total (calculate the remain month prepayed ) so the total is 39679 dollars. After know the amount what we need to return we have decided to make refund to all this clients for the prepayed months. I know the comunication was not my strong way ... but like i have told always we have a linmited people here so i have focused in nubers and find a way to not close this business because i have dedicated 9 years of my life in this. So what we have decided is refund this money to the clients (we will start from monday) , only to the affected clients . After some month after this will calm down this clients who will be refunded will have the posibility to buy a new storage plan and get 1 year for free (you can pay only 1 month and we will give 1 year free like compensation) . In the next 3 days we will also recreate 400 vps of 1tb with the hdd what we have recuperate from the old storage rack to the clients who expressed told us to recreate and was not ask for refund.

Also i will ask to some questions :

1) no we do not close , never planned this was a incident and i have not been prepared for this.
    2) some people acuse us for sell 193 prefix ... yes i sell it in order to get money to buy new hdd wich is 2x more expensive this days , we have plenty ips so we have sell the spamed one in order to keep the clear ones. We operate with multiple company and in everyone we have get /22 from RIPE some years ago so we have plenty ips unused so i have decided to sell in order to get cash asap to mantain hostsolutions up and refund the clients affected.

3) Thanks to all who personally call me to ask if is all ok , to mention a message who told us about olx.ro as hi tink we sell the hardware too ... i do this in the last 10 years so no worry the servers wich is for production is for production and was not sell.

4) Sorry to this comunity for my absence but in this period i am not in my best feeling after this incident so with the resource what i have i try to find a middle solution.

5) no we will not close , we will not rebrend , we will not dissaper , the clients with dedicated servers or with any other service active can confirm we had zero downtime this period.

I wil keep connect here to give some news until we will finish the refund process.

6) in order to do this process fast we will delete 1500 tikets (sorry but have people who have opened more than 10 tikets ) and if you still need to open a tiket please proceed , if is related to the incident and you need to have the service recreated please reopen a tiket if not you will be refunded automatically. (please note we can recreate only 400 vps so the first come first serve)

Thanks all.

So, sold IP and hardware to refund clients who had services that wasn’t sustainable.

Deleting tickets as a way to improve communication with concerned clients.

He states that he can recreate 400 VPSs using recuperated disks.
    What happened to the new disks he bought?

My theory is that this was the only way to keep the business running due to too many bad business decisions.

Which in turn makes me wonder how he can cover the costs for 400 VPSs, each with 1Tb disk for a whole year?

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:

@Falzo said:

@willie said:
    Do I want to know what the new update says?

I do see that one of my two 1tb storage plans (the same one as before) is still up. So there's that.

Hello All ,

I have not connected in the last days because i am focused in calculate the impact of storage plans affected (not all was affected like many sugest here) , we had 3000 clients afected in this shit so we have decided to make a total (calculate the remain month prepayed ) so the total is 39679 dollars. After know the amount what we need to return we have decided to make refund to all this clients for the prepayed months. I know the comunication was not my strong way ... but like i have told always we have a linmited people here so i have focused in nubers and find a way to not close this business because i have dedicated 9 years of my life in this. So what we have decided is refund this money to the clients (we will start from monday) , only to the affected clients . After some month after this will calm down this clients who will be refunded will have the posibility to buy a new storage plan and get 1 year for free (you can pay only 1 month and we will give 1 year free like compensation) . In the next 3 days we will also recreate 400 vps of 1tb with the hdd what we have recuperate from the old storage rack to the clients who expressed told us to recreate and was not ask for refund.

Also i will ask to some questions :

1) no we do not close , never planned this was a incident and i have not been prepared for this.
    2) some people acuse us for sell 193 prefix ... yes i sell it in order to get money to buy new hdd wich is 2x more expensive this days , we have plenty ips so we have sell the spamed one in order to keep the clear ones. We operate with multiple company and in everyone we have get /22 from RIPE some years ago so we have plenty ips unused so i have decided to sell in order to get cash asap to mantain hostsolutions up and refund the clients affected.

3) Thanks to all who personally call me to ask if is all ok , to mention a message who told us about olx.ro as hi tink we sell the hardware too ... i do this in the last 10 years so no worry the servers wich is for production is for production and was not sell.

4) Sorry to this comunity for my absence but in this period i am not in my best feeling after this incident so with the resource what i have i try to find a middle solution.

5) no we will not close , we will not rebrend , we will not dissaper , the clients with dedicated servers or with any other service active can confirm we had zero downtime this period.

I wil keep connect here to give some news until we will finish the refund process.

6) in order to do this process fast we will delete 1500 tikets (sorry but have people who have opened more than 10 tikets ) and if you still need to open a tiket please proceed , if is related to the incident and you need to have the service recreated please reopen a tiket if not you will be refunded automatically. (please note we can recreate only 400 vps so the first come first serve)

Thanks all.

So, sold IP and hardware to refund clients who had services that wasn’t sustainable.

Deleting tickets as a way to improve communication with concerned clients.

He states that he can recreate 400 VPSs using recuperated disks.
    What happened to the new disks he bought?

My theory is that this was the only way to keep the business running due to too many bad business decisions.

Which in turn makes me wonder how he can cover the costs for 400 VPSs, each with 1Tb disk for a whole year?

What his story looks like

• edited June 2021

With all due respect but seeing jsg's last reply...

Now I'm really done.

@serv_ee said:

Now I'm really done.

We do not have the same amount of posts or drama over here, but we are friendly and we offer cookies.

• @mikho said:

@serv_ee said:

Now I'm really done.

We do not have the same amount of posts or drama over here, but we are friendly and we offer cookies.

I'll do my best to make the first one better and the second one, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Thanked by (1)mikho

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@serv_ee said:

Now I'm really done.

I wonder what deal he has with LET.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

edited June 2021

I think it's still plausible that cociu sells off hardware to refund to storage plan users since there's still a pool of credits from unaffected customers. that appeases the immediate victims.

then maybe after that another round of top up scheme using his Ryzen as the motivator. 70% discount and 50% top up bonus.

that might work again, but not as easy to pull this round off if the 60K claim is still hanging, plus he has to ensure the 2680v4 and Ryzen lines work well and the recreated storage does not fail like before. honestly doubt he did anything to improve the storage though. could an oversell cause this massive involucration?

• @Mason said:

@dahartigan said:

@bdl said:
    there's an update from Cociu on OGF

Yes, indeed there is. It's hilarious watching the hissy-fits from providers (and their shillbots) slandering cociu. I wonder if they'll double down on their bs now or just stay quiet?

Well.... right now it's like the boy who cried wolf involucrated. He's offered updates before in that thread where promises were made, but not kept. First they were gonna repair/replace the drives by an unspecified monday, then they were gonna get everything fixed and offer refunds/service extensions, now it's the same story with a different target date. Words words and more words.

I get that he's not trying to run away with a bag of money. He still has services up and running that weren't affected by all this. But by not being transparent about the IP range he sold off, the servers and drives being sold, and just completely avoiding all communication in general... you really can't blame people for letting their imagination run wild given the severe lack of transparency in all this. Marius being radio silent directly contributed to that.

I hope Marius bounces back from this. I hope my storage VM comes back online as I've been very content with the service that I've been provided, I don't even care about getting my data back, a refund, or a service extension. But I seriously hope he takes all this as a lesson to be more transparent in the future (even if it's really bad news). Only way to avoid something like this happening again is to pass off regular updates to someone who can communicate effectively (i.e. MikePT) to avoid all this speculation.

I agree with everything you've said. The only slight variation for me is where I've bolded the word people, if you use the term "provider" instead then I disagree. I think that providers should refrain as much as possible from bashing other providers.

@seriesn would I defend you if you suddenly changed and became all the above? Of course not, look at the hostdoc drama for reference. If you fucked up and suddenly a group of providers jumped on your throat with their "speculation" I'd back you up on that 100%.

I don't think many people could disagree that right from the start cociu has been dodgy and you'd have to have a very specific reason for wanting to use his services. That's pretty much a given I thought. I'd expect the worst from cociu and not be disappointed. It's when I expect "top providers" to act professionally and not stoop to the low levels of engaging in provider vs provider combat that I believe I'm relatively alone in my opinions.

Thanked by (1)seriesn

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• It's really weird, jsg was once a big attacker of HS.

• 100 000 euros what @serv_ee has said - if his business was not profitable enough i am not pretty sure if he must pay now 100k after taxes how the hell is going to cover such expenses and how would be the recover. May be selling everything to cover the debt would be the unique logical solution and cover the rest of expenses with own money.Or may be their is plan B to recover etc Let s see

Dentistry is my passion

• My thoughts on this is, cociu is fucked and will forever be fucked if he continues to run this business. So like I have recently suggested in my last comment on the OGF, pay someone for help, and I see no one better to do that other than MikePT, since he’s already “working” for HS to cover support.

Mike is more experienced, both in management and technical aspects, as compared to cociu. When it comes to making someone smell good, cociu can deal with that, but when it comes to IT/Hosting, leave it to someone else.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Cociu had a zany hosting style and some of us liked it that way. A more "professional" approach wouldn't be the same. I wouldn't put any type of professional site on HS but for personal and hobby stuff, a little bit of adventure now and then keeps things interesting.

• @dahartigan said:

I don't think many people could disagree that right from the start cociu has been dodgy and you'd have to have a very specific reason for wanting to use his services. That's pretty much a given I thought. I'd expect the worst from cociu and not be disappointed. It's when I expect "top providers" to act professionally and not stoop to the low levels of engaging in provider vs provider combat that I believe I'm relatively alone in my opinions.

If you look at it from a customers point of view, it's a different story.
    No where on hostsolutions website does it say that they are a dodgy provider, so how would someone looking for hosting know that?
    You might not expect much from cociu, but people that does not know him would probably expect to get what they were promised.

It gets really strange really quickly if you start holding people to different levels of expectations. It cant be considered ok for cociu to keep lying and breaking promises, if it's not ok for every other provider to do exactly the same. It just doesn't work like that.
    So yes, you are relatively alone in thinking these kind of double standards are ok.

Thanked by (3)Lee Falzo seriesn
  • @dahartigan said: if you use the term "provider" instead then I disagree. I think that providers should refrain as much as possible from bashing other providers.

This is more about your personal issues with certain providers I suspect, more than holding a particular group to a specific standard which is bollocks anyway. And certainly, double standards when taken in conjunction with many of your other comments.

Thanked by (2)vyas Falzo

@Lee said:

@dahartigan said: if you use the term "provider" instead then I disagree. I think that providers should refrain as much as possible from bashing other providers.

This is more about your personal issues with certain providers I suspect, more than holding a particular group to a specific standard which is bollocks anyway. And certainly, double standards when taken in conjunction with many of your other comments.

Company's talking down on their competitors happens every day in the real world.
    I've personally talked to many contractors who expressed their dislike of the solution/choice of software/cable management that another company has done before them.

Often, the words "we will have to redo this" come later in the conversation.

Thanked by (3)Lee ialexpw chocolateshirt

• @Lee said:

@dahartigan said: if you use the term "provider" instead then I disagree. I think that providers should refrain as much as possible from bashing other providers.

I try as much as possible to leave "personal issues" out of things, except when perhaps expressing my opinion on a matter but I don't consider that to be unusual.

I agree that by definition it's a case of double standards. I mean, on one hand I'm saying that some providers are being unprofessional when other the other hand I'm perceived to be defending cociu who is far from a textbook example of professionalism.

I get that it's a strange position for me to have, considering it's contradicting, however, the key difference is that I don't need professionalism from cociu's services - so something like a lack of communication or shitty communication is not something that I can reasonably be alarmed by.

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• he said next Monday, I really hope he does something "not just words" otherwise to me HS is never again.

@ehab said:
    he said next Monday, I really hope he does something "not just words" otherwise to me HS is never again.

when has he kept to his words? lol

• @cybertech said:

failing the 3rd time is my limit.

• @ehab said:

@cybertech said:

That is already quite generous. I am through after the second time.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @ehab said:

@cybertech said:

Better than he is not cardio surgeon or neurosurgeon only 1 life

Dentistry is my passion

• @Amitz said:
    That is already quite generous. I am through after the second time.

only because of the years i knew him.

• @Chievo said:
    Better than he is not cardio surgeon or neurosurgeon only 1 life

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Amitz said:

@ehab said:

@cybertech said:

I am through after the second time.

That comes with age...

Thanked by (2)Amitz chocolateshirt

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:
    That comes with age...

Absolutely. Being nearly 50 years old, I do not have the time and nerves left for 3rd chances...

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @Amitz said:

@bikegremlin said:
    That comes with age...

Absolutely. Being nearly 50 years old, I do not have the time and nerves left for 3rd chances...

• Wonder if Romania has anything like we do, we can buy a companies annual bookkeeping records for a small amount.

• @serv_ee said:
    Wonder if Romania has anything like we do, we can buy a companies annual bookkeeping records for a small amount.

Sure he has done 30 000gross in 2020 and 120k gross in 2019 ( at least what appears online)

Dentistry is my passion

@serv_ee said:
    Wonder if Romania has anything like we do, we can buy a companies annual bookkeeping records for a small amount.

In Romania, you can buy everything.
    For the right price

This discussion has been closed.