Ordering NAT VPS Without a Domain

I know this is pretty much noobish, but supposing that I want to buy a cheap NAT VPS, but I don't own a domain and I just want to connect using the server's IP address. Can this be done and if so, what to fill in the Hostname field :# ?

Thanked by (1)amiir
Tagged:

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

yes, and just fill it with a random non-existant domain like example.example.com

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

the hostname you enter on the order form is only for your eyes.

If you want to connect using the IP address (assuming ipv4) you need to use one of the assigned ports.
    If you want port 80/443 forwarding, you need a domain name.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• Yeah, that is something that has been bugging me forever. Basically every provider asks for hostname, but no one uses it. Why don't they just remove that field?

Thanked by (1)lindy54

@rcy026 said:
    Yeah, that is something that has been bugging me forever. Basically every provider asks for hostname, but no one uses it. Why don't they just remove that field?

it is used to set the hostname on provisioning. And you can use it to identify the VPS when you have many instances with the same provider.

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

@rcy026 said:
    Yeah, that is something that has been bugging me forever. Basically every provider asks for hostname, but no one uses it. Why don't they just remove that field?

some don't have it such as racknerd and virmach
    they just give you a random one and if you really care enough you can change it

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • @11111jfkdd said:

@rcy026 said:

some don't have it such as racknerd and virmach
    they just give you a random one and if you really care enough you can change it

I like this as well

• @mikho said:

@rcy026 said:

it is used to set the hostname on provisioning. And you can use it to identify the VPS when you have many instances with the same provider.

I just checked, and you are right, some providers actually do use it (you are one of them, I just checked).
    But some providers seems to ask for it and never use it anyway, in the same way that a lot of providers asks for nameservers but never seem to use that either.

@rcy026 said:

@mikho said:

@rcy026 said:

I just checked, and you are right, some providers actually do use it (you are one of them, I just checked).
    But some providers seems to ask for it and never use it anyway, in the same way that a lot of providers asks for nameservers but never seem to use that either.

You are speaking with WHMCS in mind…
    My 2cents is that WHMCS tried to make a generic order form for different types of hosting services.
    NS are there for when you order shared/reseller hosting, not so much for VPS hosting.

@anthonysmith once told me that the hostname field is used by solus aswell as Virtualizor.
    But Solus fails to provision if the hostname is 3 chars or less 🤷🏻