What's your go-to browser on your mobile phone??

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited December 2021 in General

I have tried various browsers on my mobile phone (default Mi Browser, Chrome, Opera Mini, Brave and others). Among all these, Kiwi ( https://kiwibrowser.com/ ; https://github.com/kiwibrowser ) was the one I stuck with now. It is Chromium based (afaik) and the thing I like most about it, is that it has a swift performance while also allowing me to add Chrome extensions (which official Chrome Browser in Android doesn't support). As such I could install AdBlock and "I don't care about cookies" extensions, which have really improved my browsing experience. No more full-page cookie pop-up when I open a new website..

What is your go-to browser on mobile and why?

Thanked by (1)ehab

Comments

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Firefox w/ uBlock Origin addon. Mainly because I already use Firefox as my browser across all my machines and enjoy the synced tabs and bookmarks feature.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited December 2021

@Mason said:
    Firefox w/ uBlock Origin addon. Mainly because I already use Firefox as my browser across all my machines and enjoy the synced tabs and bookmarks feature.

Not a Firefox user (yet), but sounds like that would be pretty neat to have tabs and bookmarks synced.

I should really check out uBlock Origin. I always feel like using regular "Adblock/Adblock Plus" is kind of oldschool. Is there anything where you would say uBlock Origin had a significant advantage over others e.g. Adblock/Adblock Plus?

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@Ympker said:
    I should really check out uBlock Origin. I always feel like using regular "Adblock/Adblock Plus" is kind of oldschool. Is there anything where you would say uBlock Origin had a significant advantage over others e.g. Adblock/Adblock Plus?

I think they're both pretty good. I'm not aware of any significant advantages one has over the other. Both seem to be open source and have been around for quite awhile with similar feature sets.

Thanked by (2)Ympker webcraft

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• vivaldi. i like it because:

1st, because its chromium based. fast and light.

2nd, because the built in adblocking is the bestest in blocking all ads. most mobile adblock browser i tried cannot block google search and youtube ads. its annoying.

the downside is cannot disable amp.

i used to use kiwi but abandon it when its not actively updated long time ago. the developer look like active again tho.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Firefox, because it can play youtube.

Thanked by (2)AaronSS kkrajk

@budi1413 said:
    vivaldi. i like it because:

1st, because its chromium based. fast and light.

2nd, because the built in adblocking is the bestest in blocking all ads. most mobile adblock browser i tried cannot block google search and youtube ads. its annoying.

the downside is cannot disable amp.

i used to use kiwi but abandon it when its not actively updated long time ago. the developer look like active again tho.

I also used Vivaldi a while ago. Great browser, indeed!

• Firefox. I pull stuff up from my computer on my phone, and vise versa all the time. It’s really nice to have a uniform experience across devices and operating systems.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited December 2021

I block all ads, trackers, etc at the DNS level. Is there any reason to use an extension as well?

Thanked by (2)Ympker chocolateshirt

@AaronSS said:
    I block all ads, trackers, etc at the DNS level. Is there any reason to use an extension as well?

For Ads&Trackers probably not. Does the DNS solution also block Cookie Pop-ups? Afaik regular Adblockers won't block these, but they are often the first thing you see when browsing a website on mobile and it usually covers the whole screen. For that I am happy to be able to install the extension.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • Thanks @Ympker

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Firefox Focus

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • @saibal said:
    Firefox Focus

I’ve never seen the point over just using Private Tab when needed.

• Vivaldi.

It is not perfect, some updates have been buggy and some have added useless/annoying features, but has good ad blocking engine, decent performance and a customizable start page.

@Ympker said: Is there anything where you would say uBlock Origin had a significant advantage over others e.g. Adblock/Adblock Plus?

AdBlock Plus is owned by shady ad company and big advertisers pay them to unblock "good ads" by default.

uBlock Origin has a bit better performance and none of the ownership/ethical problems of AdBlock Plus.

@AaronSS said: I block all ads, trackers, etc at the DNS level. Is there any reason to use an extension as well?

Page structure looks better/cleaner if you use an adblocker with filters instead of blocking at the DNS level. Also, some ads like Google Search ads can't be blocked via DNS as they are integrated in the google.com query.

Thanked by (3)Not_Oles Ympker vimalware
  • RadiRadi Hosting ProviderOG

I use Chrome on Android because I have enabled bookmark syncing with my computer(every other sync is disabled). I don't usually install any extensions, as I don't need anything.
    On my iPhone, I just use Safari - no sync with anything, just default browser.

I have found myself pretty much using just whatever the phone comes with - I tend not to install browsers on my mobiles with the exception being only when I am testing some website issue, which is reported to be happening with specific browser - after the test is done, I just remove the extra browser app. :smile:

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Get some hosting at https://drserver.net .

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2021

Links on termux ??

j/k

Firefox is my go to.

Or ecosia. Better Privacy features something something, you can help plant trees. And oh yeah, from your homeland @Ympker

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • I'm using Microsoft Edge, it's fast and can sync with all of my devices ♥

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • Samsung internet browser. Surprisingly good with enough privacy

• Chrome for primary browser, Firefox secondary and Opera use for VPN only

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited December 2021

Use bromite, modified chrome with built-in add blocking and open-source

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• @AaronSS said: I’ve never seen the point over just using Private Tab when needed.

Somehow on my ancient Android, Focus is always snappier than vanilla FF.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Safari, as simple as default browser.

@Nyr Thanks for clarifying! Didn't know that :) Maybe I'll give uBlock a shot.

@vyas I have heard about this one before, but somehow skipped it.

@bikegremlin Pure gold :D

Are those of you that use Chrome, or another default browser without extensions support , not annoyed by those Cookie Notions? Blocking Ads is one thing, but those cookie banners have really been getting annoying as they are the first thing you see on nearly any page..and they usually cover the whole screen. This made me switch to Kiwi (as I wanted a Chrome/-ium based solution). Firefox also has extensions support, but those of you who use Chrome @Radi Vivaldi ( @Nyr ), Edge @giang or other browsers: How do you deal with Cookies, or do you not really care about these pop-ups?

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @Ympker said:
    How do you deal with Cookies, or do you not really care about these pop-ups?

Vivaldi is compatible with standard filter lists. I have two lists for blocking cookie dialogs enabled.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited December 2021

@Nyr said:

@Ympker said:

Vivaldi is compatible with standard filter lists. I have two lists for blocking cookie dialogs enabled.

Mind sharing the lists you are using? :)
    I really liked Vivaldi the last time I used it, so might give it another shot.

• @Ympker said:

@Nyr said:

@Ympker said:

Their are included (but not enabled) by default. You just go into the settings and enable them.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Ympker said:
    @giang or other browsers: How do you deal with Cookies, or do you not really care about these pop-ups?

Edge got a built-in adblock so I don’t see much ads or popups 🍸

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

+1 for Safari. Before I moved to iOS it was Firefox for many years and I always disabled Chrome.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited December 2021

Ice raven/ fork of firefox android, but with a lot of extensions

https://github.com/fork-maintainers/iceraven-browser

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Nyr said:

@Ympker said:

@Nyr said:

@Ympker said:

Their are included (but not enabled) by default. You just go into the settings and enable them.

Thanks! :)