Owners of servers in Russia, what's next?

MasonMason AdministratorOG

Just curious who here is renting a VPS or dedicated in Russia and what the current situation is.

If the news is to believed, then it's getting increasingly difficult to pay invoices without crypto. What are your experiences?

Also curious if there's been any major connectivity or latency changes recently.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

Thanked by (1)jureve

Comments

• I am/was a customer of some Russian ISPs. Still have account credits for months, but after those run out I will probably do business elsewhere, as the infrastructure being inside the country is not an absolute requirement for my project.

I expect the connectivity impact to be minimal in the short term, and am pretty sure that not many Tier 1 and big transit providers will not follow suit after Cogent and Lumen, but we will see. For now everything is almost normal in that regard, other than the government ramping up censorship. Not all business networks in Russia are censored anyway.

Regarding crypto payments, WebMoney has supported crypto for years, so that is a viable payment method right now.

Many Russian providers will just neglect western customers, as they do not constitute a significant part of their customer base. Others will probably open accounts/companies in other countries if they value their international customers, and some already have them.

Thanked by (3)Mason ehab jureve
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited March 2022

Well, I could pay fine with yoomoney.ru, however Revolut is/was not that happy and started reminding me, that Tomorrow, Visa is dropping RUB payments.

So far, https://www.robovps.biz/ deadpooled, in Frankfurt Leaseweb, but all Russian servers continue to work fine, at least from Gcorelabs.
    Most of the stuff is renewed for a few months, should be enough I hope so.

If not, I know people I just ask for RUB and give them USD or EUR, in exchange.
    Despite that Cogent and Lumen is moving out of Russia, overall connectivity looks fine, most of it is Telia or Retn, Rostelecom or Transtelecom anyways.

Thanked by (2)Mason jureve
  • edited March 2022

Guys, take a look at this... Russia is in war with The West, which means, Russia is the only free land where i can host my stuff. I am considering on buying a Russian domain as well and moving operations there, fully. I just don't trust mine or any other pro-western government. If i was able to, i'd even go to North Korea. I know how to be loyal to people who give me a chance.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @Janevski said: Russia is the only free land where i can host my stuff

Hahah

Thanked by (2)Mason webcraft
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

@Janevski said:
    Guys, take a look at this... Russia is in war with The West, which means, Russia is the only free land where i can host my stuff. I am considering on buying a Russian domain as well and moving operations there, fully. I just don't trust mine or any other pro-western government. If i was able to, i'd even go to North Korea. I know how to be loyal to people who give me a chance.

I missed the "/s", but I really hope it was implied lol

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Janevski said:
    Guys, take a look at this... Russia is in war with The West, which means, Russia is the only free land where i can host my stuff.

Have you considered hosting in Antarctica?
    It's the free land at The South (literally) that belongs to neither party at war.
    See our feel good customer service story.

Thanked by (1)CamoYoshi

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Well, Paying now with Credit Card in Russia is next level.
    Despite the Credit Card is issued in Russia, which would Technical still make it work.

I needed to use a Russian VPN, the Payment gateway was not reachable from outside of Russia.
    Now the Payment is stuck, to be continued.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Janevski said:

:)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Honestly speaking it really does feel like a good time to invest in Russian hosting. Don't personally buy into the sanctions for punishing buisness when the majority had little to no say in the matter.

Recommended hosts:
    Letbox, Data ideas, Hetzner

• let me try to present what I know about the methods and effects of sanctions, but don't take it too seriously, many things are already forgot.

1. Trade Sanctions
      It is the lowest level of sanction, this is more often just a warning because there are too many way to bypass it. The biggest impact is that it will increase your costs and some product is banned. It might be harmful, but not deadly. However, I suspect that there may be cpu, router ban in the future

2. Investment Sanctions
      Prohibit U.S. funds from investing in related companies/countries and from banning related companies for investment in the United States. This is probably one of the reason why many companies are exiting Russia. Wall Streent's cash pool is huge and listing there can get way more funds than other location. However, you can still hold shares and use the service through an intermediary. Just more costly.

3. Relations Sanctions
      This is usually for companies and individuals. At this stage, the sanction become more serious. Trading and providing service that related to US is banned. Even if a third party is used to hold the funds, there is a risk of freezing if the funds are discovered. Providing services is also illegal. At this stage, the general "third party" is not enough, you need some professional help; Luckly, there are too many people making money with their life.

4. Financial Systems and Capital Sanctions
      Prohibit the use of USD/swift, etc. The most terrible situation is that it is difficult to trade internationally, only bartering. Moreover, with a dollar in your pocket, doing a $100 business is the modern way to do business. With $100 do $100 business is difficult to growth nowaday.

Many of the effects of sanctions have not surfaced yet. there are also some more advanced sanction have not been used (for example, not all SWIFT is banned), leaving room for negotiation.

Action and Reaction in history