Question for LET mods

SystemSystem Administrator
This discussion was created from comments split from: LowEndSpirit Is Not a For-Profit Site and Will Never Be Pay-to-Play.

Comments

• Quick question for the LET mods: what's your motivation to continue after this incident?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@stevewatson301 said:
    Quick question for the LET mods: what's your motivation to continue after this incident?

I think you are either on the wrong forum, or in the wrong thread ;)

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:

@stevewatson301 said:
    Quick question for the LET mods: what's your motivation to continue after this incident?

I am on the right forum, since there's a bit of censhorship going on there and I don't feel comfortable taking up this topic there. I was just curious about the LET moderators who have a presence on this forum, about what their motivations were given what happened.

Maybe split the thread if you feel this should be discussed on a separate one?

@stevewatson301 said:

@mikho said:

@stevewatson301 said:

I am on the right forum, since there's a bit of censhorship going on there and I don't feel comfortable taking up this topic there. I was just curious about the LET moderators who have a presence on this forum, about what their motivations were given what happened.

Maybe split the thread if you feel this should be discussed on a separate one?

Fair point on the forum part.
    Splitting might be the best option, your question might otherwise get lost among the other posts in here.
    Mind if I do?

• @stevewatson301 said:

I think it’s pretty much the top two are doing most of it now, mods ban and then it just gets undone by the owner so what’s the point?

BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

• @Jord said:

@stevewatson301 said:

I think it’s pretty much the top two are doing most of it now, mods ban and then it just gets undone by the owner so what’s the point?

Exactly my point, so why not just step down? Biloh’s overriding of moderator decisions is pretty disrespectful and if I were a mod there I know I’d have.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited March 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

@Jord said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Exactly my point, so why not just step down? Biloh’s overriding of moderator decisions is pretty disrespectful and if I were a mod there I know I’d have.

and what, let Anthony take over? lol wouldn't that be fun

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@Jord said:

@stevewatson301 said:

and what, let Anthony take over? lol

I’m talking about jord/fat32 stepping down from LET moderation. Anthony Smith isn’t a mod there.

• I’ve tired 😂 I can’t remove it myself.

BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.

@Jord said:
    I’ve tired 😂 I can’t remove it myself.

If nothing changed from when I was a mod, you can always upgrade yourself to Admin. 🤷🏻

• @mikho said:

@Jord said:

If nothing changed from when I was a mod, you can always upgrade yourself to Admin. 🤷🏻

That was fixed, option isn’t even there anymore.

Thanked by (1)mikho

• @stevewatson301 said:

@Jord said:

@stevewatson301 said:

There may be other factors at play. (I'm speaking in general, not of @Jord in particular.)

One factor may simply be a kind of inertia: one you become a moderator, you stay a moderator, unless you have a strong reason for resigning.

What counts as a strong reason for resigning will vary from person to person, but there also seems to be a general acceptance of how the admins at LET -- jbiloh, in particular -- routinely overrule the moderators' decisions. In other words, this seems to be a socially accepted/acceptable behavior at LET, and as a result, it doesn't constitute a strong reason for resigning.

Another factor may be the feeling that despite the disadvantages, a moderator is contributing to a common good -- to a community -- and that it's this common good that makes their efforts worthwhile. In fact, this feeling could count as a strong reason for not resigning (despite the disadvantages).

Thanked by (3)Erisa FAT32 lentro

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @Jord said:

Well you could always talk to Biloh about stepping down, which is obvious.

Since I see that hasn’t happened despite LET going to shit, my question was if you saw some redeeming qualities in LET’s community that made you keep the moderator title.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@Jord said:

Well you could always talk to Biloh about stepping down, which is obvious.

Since I see that hasn’t happened despite LET going to shit, my question was if you saw some redeeming qualities in LET’s community that made you keep the moderator title.

Like I said. I’ve tried.

I see no redeeming qualities. But what else can one do

• Most mods have already left.
    There are three left as far as I can see, who are Pie, Rain, and the guy above.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @deank said:
    Most mods have already left.
    There are three left as far as I can see, who are Pie, Rain, and the guy above.

Rain is now an admin

There are six mods, but Pie seems to be the most active/visible

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• mod decisions being overridden is right in line with some of the other behavior (changing thread titles to nonsense, editing posts without comment, hiding review threads etc).. is biloh the only one doing that stuff? i have no way of knowing, but it's all part of a long-running pattern that tells me what to expect in general.

where i once browsed the site's offers looking for good deals and discovering potentially worthy new providers, it's only real value to me these days is the occasional dramatics giving my eyes a bit of exercise with vigorous eyerolls.

the back and forth about the purple poster and now that seedbox provider also put me in mind of many of the shenanigans we saw play out since cc scooped it up way back when. coincidence? haha

opinions, etc.

Thanked by (1)lentro

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.