LowEndSpirit Is Not a For-Profit Site and Will Never Be Pay-to-Play

Comments

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@emperor said:

@mikho said: It was/is for the first group of people who signed up.

Too bad i found my account not working which i had it from 2017 reg here :) Did account expire when not active for more then 6 months or year?

Accounts from the old forum was not moved over to vanilla.
    That might explain why it didn’t work.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Happy for this

Thanks @Mason & @mikho

I was gonna suggest to putting up a donation page - but that's already taken care of. Good job @Mason
    Maybe a link or some display sort of on the index page of the forum would help even more. I mean I find it kind of unfair that the money is going out of your pocket for the community (selfless work), wherein the community can manage to contribute to cover the costs (obviously not to make sizeable profits) so that you won't have to manage the burden of the costs.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Mason

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

@BlaZe said:
    Happy for this

Thanks @Mason & @mikho

I was gonna suggest to putting up a donation page - but that's already taken care of. Good job @Mason
    Maybe a link or some display sort of on the index page of the forum would help even more. I mean I find it kind of unfair that the money is going out of your pocket for the community (selfless work), wherein the community can manage to contribute to cover the costs (obviously not to make sizeable profits) so that you won't have to manage the burden of the costs.

There is a donor link in the sidebar. Perhaps we need a flashing GIF? ;)

Thanked by (2)nyamenk vyas

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

@mikho said:

There is a donor link in the sidebar. Perhaps we need a flashing GIF? ;)

Yikes! I did glance once before writing the above reply, did not notice it. Indeed make it flashy or at least bold or different colour :D

Think I'm getting old - observation power is getting weak :o

Thanked by (1)nyamenk

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• @mikho said: Perhaps we need a flashing GIF?

Scientifically proven to work!

• I think $3 is the lowest monthly amount that donor-box allows, if just 10 people would do that it would cover the monthly expenses.
    I just set up a monthly donation, and if you can afford to let a bunch of VPS's idle you can afford a monthly donation too!

Thanked by (2)Mason Ganonk
  • @Mason maybe you should look into updating the info at donor-box, I just got a thank you mail for my monthly donation to "Warband Collective"? :smile:

Thanked by (1)Mason

@rcy026 said:
    @Mason maybe you should look into updating the info at donor-box, I just got a thank you mail for my monthly donation to "Warband Collective"? :smile:

reported and @Mason is trying to solve it.

• @Aidan said:

@mikho said: Perhaps we need a flashing GIF?

Works better with hot chiq with big bobbies.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • @vyas said:

@Aidan said:

@mikho said: Perhaps we need a flashing GIF?

Works better with hot chiq with big bobbies.

big bobbies = TwonkRacks

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@rcy026 said:
    @Mason maybe you should look into updating the info at donor-box, I just got a thank you mail for my monthly donation to "Warband Collective"? :smile:

Finally found where that damn receipt setting was. "Warband Collective" was the name of my old gaming group I used donorbox for and for some reason some of the old settings carried over when I set up the LES campaign. Should be all fixed now... apologies to anyone that was confused after donating and a big thank you as always :)

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• The difference. :o

• @Ryujin said: The difference.

Unfair comparison, the LES servers are in your basement.

Thanked by (3)Mason Ryujin yoursunny
  • I'm glad LES> @Ryujin said:

The difference. :o

What website is this?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Just a suggestion- it would be nice if lowendspirit.com took us to this forum instead of talk.lowendspirit.com

Thanked by (2)Mason Ympker

Why?

• @dosai said:
    I'm glad LES> @Ryujin said:

The difference. :o

What website is this?

Its Bitdefender browser addon

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jmaxwell said:
    Just a suggestion- it would be nice if lowendspirit.com took us to this forum instead of talk.lowendspirit.com

That's actually in the works. One of the tasks on my plate is migrating the content from our WP blog into the forum and just merge the two, then have all traffic at lowendspirit.com (no subdomain). Hopefully will be complete in the next week or two

• A true breath of fresh air. Slowly, but for sure, this forum will overcome LET and WHT. 7 years I was with LET and they effectively pulled the plug with commercialization.

On this forum, I would like to see more exposed and visible donations link. Just in case...

Thanked by (3)Mason FrankZ ialexpw

@legendary said: On this forum, I would like to see more exposed and visible donations link. Just in case...

Pleasure to have you here and agreed 100%. Transparency is king.

The current donation setup was thrown together hastily, so once I have more time to iron it out some more, I will. Initial ideas is to have a donation page that shows currently monthly goal and total donations received. Would also like to "open the books" and show where the expenses are going, how much is left in the pot, etc. If donorbox doesn't fulfill everything on my checklist, I'll look into alternative donation platforms as well (including @Ympker's Open Collective suggestion). More details will be released when ready :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker Ganonk

@legendary said: On this forum, I would like to see more exposed and visible donations link. Just in case...

@BlaZe said: Maybe a link or some display sort of on the index page of the forum would help even more.

@Mason

I've added an image with a link to the donorbox.
    Larger than the surrounding text, but still not intrusive.

Hope you like it?

edited March 2022

@mikho said:

@BlaZe said: Maybe a link or some display sort of on the index page of the forum would help even more.

@Mason

Hope you like it?

Complaints:

1. It's not flashing.
    2. It doesn't make me close a pop-up (or a very large and vibrant banner at the top) begging for donations every time I visit the home page.
    3. Default donation isn't $100 every 6 months.
    4. No crypto options.

Back to the drawing board!

@Mason said:

@mikho said:

@Mason

Hope you like it?

Complaints:

1. It's not flashing.
    2. It doesn't make me close a pop-up (or a very large and vibrant banner at the top) begging for donations every time I visit the home page.
    3. Default donation isn't $100 every 6 months.
    4. No crypto options.

Back to the drawing board!

Thanked by (3)AlwaysSkint Ganonk FrankZ

Added a donation total tracker and monthly goal (set to $35 to cover monthly operating costs -- anything extra gets thrown into a "site improvements/development budget & future operating expenses" bucket) to the donation page.

• edited March 2022

@Mason said:
    1. It's not flashing.

This is the limit of my ability to "fix" it and it's still not all that annoying, the base image is clearly too unobtrusive.

setInterval( function(){ $('aside.Panel-main center img').attr('style', 'filter: hue-rotate('+(new Date().getMilliseconds())%360+'deg)'); }, 50 );

E: And I can't even see the image on mobile, even after enabling Desktop Site mode. Seriously too unobtrusive.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

The depression I can imagine once you spend $100 and receive two $3.14 orders:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3392620/#Comment_3392620

Thanked by (1)Aidan
  • Hmm so complete side question. Donations help. What else can we do to help?

• @KermEd said:
    Hmm so complete side question. Donations help. What else can we do to help?

Uhm.. stop visiting LET? Just saying.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• @KermEd said:
    Hmm so complete side question. Donations help. What else can we do to help?

Start interesting threads over here. If a provider posts an offer elsewhere, email/DM them and say they should create an account and post it here.

🦍🍌

• @Mason @mikho Suggestion - maybe you guys can temporarily suspend these limits to get provider tags for hosts that are verified at OGF?

minimum of 5 posts and 7 days old account

"strike while the iron's hot" and just auto approve people without the post limit + wait time. Maybe just until the end of the month?

🦍🍌

@Harambe said:
    @Mason @mikho Suggestion - maybe you guys can temporarily suspend these limits to get provider tags for hosts that are verified at OGF?

minimum of 5 posts and 7 days old account

"strike while the iron's hot" and just auto approve people without the post limit + wait time. Maybe just until the end of the month?

Way ahead of you, there is an announcement to PM me with the info needed and a Provider tag is given (@Virmach as an example).

I realised that I don’t mention its free to post offers (within the offer limits), but thats what the tag give you, the ability to post.

Thanked by (2)Harambe FrankZ