YouTube Vanced bites the dust, but fear not, there are alternatives!

MasonMason AdministratorOG

YouTube Vanced will no longer see any future updates or releases. If you don't know what Vanced is, it's basically a clone of the YouTube Android app that includes features such as, no ads and background playback (w/ screen off). I've been using it exclusively for YT content for years now, so it's sad to see it go. It's speculated that Google has DCMA'd YT Vanced (or some other legal action) causing the project to come to a halt.

Article about it here: https://www.androidauthority.com/youtube-vanced-discontinued-3132147/

There are alternatives as I've recently discovered, with NewPipe seeming to be the best replacement. Similar concept as Vanced, but slightly different looks and functionality. Still ad-free, background playback, even has a pretty nice and configurable built-in video downloader. One major feature missing that I've discovered is the lack of casting ability, which doesn't seem like it'll be implemented (although there are some workarounds).

Just sharing the news as I believe it was someone here that initially turned my attention onto Vanced years ago.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

Comments

• That's sad. I just updated the root version to the latest. The best YouTube app. Never heard of newpipe.

• Honestly I'd prefer open source software over a closed source one that interacts with your Google account.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@stevewatson301 said:
    Honestly I'd prefer open source software over a closed source one that interacts with your Google account.

Agreed. While the Vanced app code wasn't open-source, the library Vanced used to interact with your Google account (microG) is in fact open source. And NewPipe is open-source as well :)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Newpipe looks good, feels better than my limited interaction w vanced

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• deankdeank OG
    edited March 2022

I just pay for Tube premium. Given how much I watch/listen it, I feel it's worth it.

Not paying for a cable service certainly frees up the budget a lot. I don't even watch TV. Haven't watched it for at least a decade.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Newpipe is nothing like vanced both are just different , I guess I will just pay google for premium subscription now, but still I will miss sponsor block

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• One of the reason I stay on Android tbh

Action and Reaction in history

• edited March 2022

To be clear I have nothing against newpipe, infact I used newpipe before YouTube vanced was a thing

But , I don't feel like we should be comparing the two , new pipe is a youtube-dl based solution ,
    While vanced was just some byte hacks in existing YouTube app with things like sponsor block and premium features enabled (except download)

Maybe I should actually use newpipe before commenting afterall it has been 3 years

Thanked by (1)Mason

@codelock said:
    But , I don't feel like we should be comparing the two , new pipe is a youtube-dl based solution

While I agree that they are very different in terms of interface and functionality, I feel they have enough overlapping features -- at least the main features that I could care about (could be debated) inc. no ads and background playback. But point taken, that NewPipe addresses a different need and doesn't really enable everything that Vanced did (i.e. be able to log in with your Google account and such).

• Yep. I just installed newpipe and the Inability to login my account is the problem with newpipe. I usually save many videos to watch later list and then listen to them on my phone
    I think I will have to get premium once vanced stopped working.

Thanked by (2)Mason jmaxwell
  • edited March 2022

@Mason said:

@codelock said:
    But , I don't feel like we should be comparing the two , new pipe is a youtube-dl based solution

While I agree that they are very different in terms of interface and functionality, I feel they have enough overlapping features -- at least the main features that I could care about (could be debated) inc. no ads and background playback. But point taken, that NewPipe addresses a different need and doesn't really enable everything that Vanced did (i.e. be able to log in with your Google account and such).

After trying newpipe for 10 minutes lot has change / improved maybe till my YouTube vanced app stops working in a year or two things will be a bit more polished

Also NFTs wondered what role this played

• I wish youtube premium allowed me to skip sponsored segments D:

• One just has to wonder amount of people I talked to today about this , all just said one thing ,
    "Guess I will just buy premium then"

Maybe YouTube vanced actually helped YouTube market their premium

Thanked by (1)Mason

• Why not? Tube P is 14 CAD per month for me.
    And my whole family can share that one account.

Cable service in 2022 costs 100 CAD per month. That's a middle of road tier. You want better channels, it's 130.

No brainer for me. You like something, you support it by paying.

Thanked by (3)lentro bikegremlin Logano

@codelock said: Also NFTs wondered what role this played

As soon as they started to try and monetize it, Google dropped a bomb. Or at least that's what it seems. Fucking NFTs...

Thanked by (2)jmaxwell sportingdan

• I just hope that one of the person involved would have balls to leak the source code so open-source communities can continue their work,
    I have no problem in paying YouTube but , youtube app still sucks and vanced gave me an option to remove every annoying thing including that stupid create button in center of footer

• edited March 2022

I hate to see them go but I've switched to Newpipe yesterday and I love how I can import my subscriptions, which is all I really wanted. I never wanted to login, I just wanted to watch my subscription list ad free and Newpipe does that well, so I'm happy, plus the option for a dark theme like on Vanced.

• @Mason said:

@codelock said: Also NFTs wondered what role this played

As soon as they started to try and monetize it, Google dropped a bomb. Or at least that's what it seems. Fucking NFTs...

They tried to frickin monetize it? LMFAO so that's what triggered it. Makes sense now.

@codelock said:
    I just hope that one of the person involved would have balls to leak the source code so open-source communities can continue their work,

Probably not. Official update from vanced devs

Vanced and Vanced Music are not open source nor will they be in the future. Please do not ask us to reveal the source code as it could create much more complex situations for us in the future.

However, Vanced manager and Vanced microG are Open source and the code can be found in our GitHub repository.

If you want re-work an app like vanced, make your mod. Although, the vanced app itself will keep working until google deprecates those versions. You are not losing anything but future updates.

Why?

• edited March 2022

@caracal said: I wish youtube premium allowed me to skip sponsored segments

Have a look at https://sponsor.ajay.app

Works pretty well with most channels.

• @Iroshan464 said:
    Yep. I just installed newpipe and the Inability to login my account is the problem with newpipe. I usually save many videos to watch later list and then listen to them on my phone
    I think I will have to get premium once vanced stopped working.

You can still kinda do that. NewPipe has options to subscribe, create playlists etc without the need of logging in. These lists and preferences can be also exported and can be used to sync across different devices.

Thanked by (1)Iroshan464

Why?

• @codelock said:
    One just has to wonder amount of people I talked to today about this , all just said one thing ,
    "Guess I will just buy premium then"

Maybe YouTube vanced actually helped YouTube market their premium

Honestly, yeah, that makes complete sense. I see why Google wouldn't immediately take it down (Assuming they were aware) because the more users it has at the time of shutdown the more users would buy premium afterwards.

Vanced gave people a taste of premium. Now those people have lost that, and going back to ad ridden hell after experiencing bliss is very hard, so they're likely to either settle for newpipe or subscribe to premium.

• Unfortunate this happens. I recently switched to YouTube Premium but you can get this for less than $2 USD/mo for your entire family.

1. Have a credit card that allows foreign transactions where the address does not 100% match.
    2. Create a new Google account or using your existing account
    3. Create a Google family and invite all the people you wish to gift YouTube Premium (usually people who live in the same vicinity as you). This is an important step, and you must have everyone accept your invitation as they cannot do so after you sign up for YouTube Premium.
    4. VPN into Argentina and sign up for YTP. Cost is 179 ARS/mo iirc.
    5. Enter your CC details and hope the transaction goes through.
    6. ???
    7. Profit

This has been working for some time if you search for "youtube premium argentina". This is beneficial if you cast to TV or have iOS as well.

Thanked by (1)someTom
  • The really sad thing about cable/fiber TV is that, no matter how much you pay, you still can't watch the Spiffing Brit.

• @deank said:
    Why not? Tube P is 14 CAD per month for me.
    And my whole family can share that one account.

Cable service in 2022 costs 100 CAD per month. That's a middle of road tier. You want better channels, it's 130.

I always thought 15 EUR a month for YouTube Premium was a bit over it. But seeing that tv is apparently fricking expensive in other countries, I get the price point a bit better.

Cable in the Netherlands costs me 10 EUR a month for a normal, medium, package and about 17 EUR for the full package. I think if you choose all premium movie, series and sports channels it’s going to be ~70 EUR.

• The absolute minimum is 69 (lol) CAD for basic, aye, BASIC, cable.

95 for 2nd tier. 130 for the best.

UK's "TV license" is retarded also.

• @deank said:

I consider the money well spent as it keeps the dregs of society glued to the sofa watching soaps each evening, meaning I can get up to all sorts of japes and tomfoolery.

• @deank said:
    The absolute minimum is 69 (lol) CAD for basic, aye, BASIC, cable.

95 for 2nd tier. 130 for the best.

And it’s the same crap everywhere. I actually only watch Dutch and Flemish channels for some series and documentaries, BBC sometimes. Alright, to be honest: also football and cooking channels. All the rest is just crap. I’d rather have some OTT service, but that means missing the Beeb and ESPN.

• One of the things I loved the most was the built in integration with things like Return Youtube Dislike & SponsorBlock. Wish that was in NewPipe...

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

As a creator of (highly questionable quality) YouTube content, I prefer getting some income from the ads or premium accounts.

As a viewer, I prefer watching for free without any ads.

Contradictions. :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker mikho

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @CamoYoshi said:
    One of the things I loved the most was the built in integration with things like Return Youtube Dislike & SponsorBlock. Wish that was in NewPipe...

https://github.com/polymorphicshade/NewPipe

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.