YouTube Vanced bites the dust, but fear not, there are alternatives!

Comments

• I know I will be hated for this but I think it's a good thing. As a youtuber, I depend heavily on ads to fund my work. Because I am not super popular, every little counts. Even some of my lamest content has taken hours and hours to create (editing and rendering being the longest parts). If you like the content you are watching, 10 second ads shouldn't be such a PIA. Be greatful that someone made that stuff for you.

Thanked by (1)priyansh

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@risharde said:
    I know I will be hated for this but I think it's a good thing. As a youtuber, I depend heavily on ads to fund my work. Because I am not super popular, every little counts. Even some of my lamest content has taken hours and hours to create (editing and rendering being the longest parts). If you like the content you are watching, 10 second ads shouldn't be such a PIA. Be greatful that someone made that stuff for you.

im really fine with ads and ads are what drives revenue and pay for servers.

im just not fine with double ads to start, ads in intervals during playback, and very often the ads run longer than the countdown time if you scrutinize.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• iOS alternatives look good till now though. Even better than YT Paid.

Why?

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited March 2022

@cybertech said:

@risharde said:
    I know I will be hated for this but I think it's a good thing. As a youtuber, I depend heavily on ads to fund my work. Because I am not super popular, every little counts. Even some of my lamest content has taken hours and hours to create (editing and rendering being the longest parts). If you like the content you are watching, 10 second ads shouldn't be such a PIA. Be greatful that someone made that stuff for you.

im just not fine with double ads to start, ads in intervals during playback, and very often the ads run longer than the countdown time if you scrutinize.

Tbh, I don't mind ads in the beginning. It can be even two ads before the video starts, I don't mind. I really hate them in between and I I'm not a fan of having them at the end of the video either.

Thanked by (1)risharde
  • @risharde said:

The problem is not ads or price of premium rather YouTube making the mobile app worse with every update

Thanked by (1)risharde

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• Fair statements made since my comment, I suppose the ad system could be better preferenced. Google has been shockingly near my number #1 worst choice for consumer products (with the exception of search) in my honest opinion but at the end of the day, the worker should not be penalized unnecessarily for what isn't in their control - if only we lived in such a fair society for other things as well of course, everyone would kind of win at some point. I do watch other YouTubers and I do sometimes use the in between ads to replenish my food while watching a video - the creator still gets money and I don't always waste my time seeing a recycled ad.

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• @teamacc said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    One of the things I loved the most was the built in integration with things like Return Youtube Dislike & SponsorBlock. Wish that was in NewPipe...

https://github.com/polymorphicshade/NewPipe

In my defense I hadn't used it in about a year and a half :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@cybertech said:

@risharde said:

Tbh, I don't mind ads in the beginning. It can be even two ads before the video starts, I don't mind. I really hate them in between and I I'm not a fan of having them at the end of the video either.

I don't like ads bothering me at any time.

On my website(s), I place ads manually, in areas around the content (sideline, bottom, top - before the articles).
    And, since I often use those sites as a reference, I make a point of using them without an ad blocker. If an ad position bothers me, the ad has to go.
    In addition to that (or in spite of it), anyone can view the site(s) normally with an ad blocker.

On YouTube it's more complicated, less control. Regardless of whether I choose to monetize or not, Google will insert ads for their own profit. So it makes no sense to not monetize.

And it's less convenient to edit ad types and placement. They do offer some tools, but it's a time-pit for me. So the way I see it: you get some info, but you put up with the ads (or pay the YouTube subscription). Couldn't find any YouTube adblocker that is convenient to use for both desktop and mobile.

Digression:
    The percentage of people who use adblockers is still low enough for the ad income to cover any hosting, backup, domain registration etc. costs. But with all the privacy concerns and all, it might not remain so. Most other ways of monetizing require doing not-very-objective articles/reviews (paid & sponsored ones). Very few companies are happy to sponsor objective content, where you mention any downsides or problems with products and services. Hence, random Google ads seem like the fairest way to monetize websites if you aim to be "independent and objective."

For example, Google is happy to place ads on this article - I don't think many companies would do that for articles that criticize them (and I'm sure their bots are smart enough to place some red flags for those keywords). That's as good as it gets - because yes, Google is happy to demonetize a lot of stuff. I just couldn't find anything better.

Relying on donations from visitors/users is not very effective in my experience. Also, I think it's better to have the corporations pay, and place ads where they aren't getting in the way (and allowing the use of adblockers on websites) than it is to have people spending their money. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• MannDudeMannDude Hosting Provider
    edited March 2022

I run https://incogtube.com , a private YouTube proxy. No javascript, you and Google never directly communicate, can use it on mobile with your screen turned off (perfect for podcasts, albums, etc), can play audio in the background of other apps on mobile, etc. Plus, Edward Snowden himself has/does/did use it, which is pretty neat.

Download videos direct from the browser, use 'audio only' to save BW when needed. Everything is proxied through our Netherlands location. It's also available on the I2P, Tor, and Yggdrasil alternative / privacy networks!

It's built ontop of Invidious. It's worth checking out, I think. :)

[ IncogNET LLC ] - Privacy By Design
    We believe that privacy and freedom of expression are two very important things, so we offer solutions to accessing and publishing content safely.
    [ USA: Liberty Lake, WA | Kansas City, MO | Allentown, PA ] [EU: Naaldwijk, NL ] [ CL Shared | KVM VPS | VPN | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names ]

• Pure Tuber - No ADs Tube and Free Advanced Premium is a third party tube API. The contents of the videos are from the API Services.

• @isunbejo said:
    Pure Tuber - No ADs Tube and Free Advanced Premium is a third party tube API. The contents of the videos are from the API Services.

Another shady YT vanced copycat with multiple detections on virustotal.

Why?

• @MannDude said: can use it on mobile with your screen turned off (perfect for podcasts, albums, etc), can play audio in the background of other apps on mobile

you sir are a legend. thanks a ton.

Thanked by (1)MannDude
  • Despite cancellation, vanced still works. And will be working unless youtube will break their own app by doing something with their api. Not gonna happen fast. Enjoy while you can.

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider
    edited March 2022

as of right now vanced tube is still the best. new pipe is great except I can't login to my account. meaning I can't create Playlist, subscribe or see my YouTube history. which is a deal breaker.

looks like my choice is only to use YouTube from Firefox.

• Can't say I am surprised, I expected this to happen way sooner. Too bad.

• It's not original newpipe, its a fork with sponsorblock baked in.

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• https://github.com/ReVancedTeam

New app in development.
    Plan is to create a patcher.

Thanked by (2)Mason lindy54
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

@Iroshan464 said:
    https://github.com/ReVancedTeam

New app in development.
    Plan is to create a patcher.

Thanks for linking! That caught my attention yesterday. Will be keeping a close eye on that.

Are any of the same people from Vanced involved, do you know?

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason
    Don't know. I went through their discord channel and could not find anything related.

• Since last week My Old Vanced is stop working (error 400).

But the new release with Vanced Manager, still working fine.

Well, if you need to background play music, I prefer YMusic Premium. One time.

• Very informative post, thank you for sharing.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Necro aside, FWIW I'm still using YouTube Vanced a year later now without any problems. And I haven't really looked to see if a good successor has surfaced yet, anyone know?

Thanked by (1)sportingdan

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• edited March 2023

i can only find this repo,,, not sure if its the correct one

https://github.com/revanced

can be very handy

@MannDude if you are self hosting, can you please share the repo you used?
    Thank you

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • I use newpipe.

Thanked by (2)Mason Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited March 2023

@Mason said:
    Necro aside, FWIW I'm still using YouTube Vanced a year later now without any problems. And I haven't really looked to see if a good successor has surfaced yet, anyone know?

I am using NewPipe and have been happy so far :)

• So far nothing can replace Vanced for me. :)

Thanked by (2)terrorgen sportingdan
  • @deank said:
    I just pay for Tube premium. Given how much I watch/listen it, I feel it's worth it.

Not paying for a cable service certainly frees up the budget a lot. I don't even watch TV. Haven't watched it for at least a decade.

Same here.. paying for premium is far better instead of compromise the Google account

• Still have Vanced installed on my phone, even changed phones since they discontinued it and was able to re-install just fine. It does at this point show some ads in the browsing sections/list of videos, which is a bit annoying, but not that big of a deal. But happily, it still completely blocks all ads in the actual video playback, which was my main concern tbh.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • I was, is a user of Vanced and really like it.

heard about revanced but the process looked complex to me so never tried it.

but recently come across this guide https://www.reddit.com/r/revancedapp/comments/xlcny9/revanced_manager_guide_for_dummies/ and then i am using Revanced on all my devices.

Vanced still works great and shows a text ad @ top which is super fine, but if you want more features...then you can jump to ReVanced.