LowEndSpirit Is Not a For-Profit Site and Will Never Be Pay-to-Play

14567810»

Comments

• @Amitz said:
    Ant. Waiting for commando.

Looks like a dangerous one. Is it dangerous like Siafu ant?

Thanked by (1)Amitz

How are you... online?

• @Amitz said:
    Ant. Waiting for commando.

But…
    Herr @Amitz the ant in the picture is already in “commando” mode. Don’t see any pants or underwear on it.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • @root said:

Yes. Thank you for the chance. I would not call it "second chance" though, since the Anthony is not leader and circumstances have changed (LES is not for future profits). I also made a small donation to LES yesterday, because I strongly believe what LET did is not the right path to success, while I wish to encourage LES towards staying free (as in freedom too).

I hope I am wrong about LET, but I have a very bad feeling regarding it's future.

Thanked by (2)root NobodyInteresting
  • edited March 2022

Great to see this thread! LET refugee here...nice to see some familiar names. :)

[EDIT] Oh yeah...donation will be coming too.

Thanked by (3)Mason uniquoo Aractus
  • @WSWD said:
    Great to see this thread! LET refugee here...nice to see some familiar names. :)

Welcome!

Thanked by (1)WSWD

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @Mason said:
    I have a feeling in like 5 years, LES accounts with an OG tag will be sold on the black hosting market for big bucks! Just you wait

Wait until the MJJs catch onto that idea.

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• edited April 2022

@WSWD said:

Same. Left LET after 11 years. Businessmodel my ass.

Thanked by (1)WSWD
  • @root said: I hope I am wrong about LET, but I have a very bad feeling regarding it's future.

Their Vanilla is buggy too. I would have thought they should either fix their software or migrate to better software before charging people to be there (comments I made in their thread).

@WSWD said: Great to see this thread! LET refugee here...nice to see some familiar names. :)

Hello. I recognise you with your old-school .net domain name! Believe in the end friend.

Thanked by (1)WSWD
  • did the font here just grow enormously, help

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited April 2022

@zed said:
    did the font here just grow enormously, help

Shouldn't have. Screenshots?

Did you have any site specific settings for lowendspirit.com? The domain was just changed to drop the talk subdomain last night.

Edit: hmm... I see the text does in fact look larger on chrome for some reason (I typically use firefox). And I don't know if it's always been like that or if it's something now

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason said:

@zed said:

Did you have any site specific settings for lowendspirit.com? The domain was just changed to drop the talk subdomain last night.

Can I donate via crypto? :-)

@Gerrard8 said:

@Mason said:

@zed said:

Can I donate via crypto? :-)

Not yet, but I may consider adding that soon! :)

• Very impressive. Especially you guys promise keeping it always ad-free. Loving it. :)

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • @curl said: ad-free.

Pfft, the "offers" topic is literally for advertising. You mean paid ads. ;)

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @Mason said:

@zed said:

Edit: hmm... I see the text does in fact look larger on chrome for some reason (I typically use firefox). And I don't know if it's always been like that or if it's something now

no site-specific settings, using firefox, just loaded the site and took me a bit to realize what had changed (the text had grown!) it's possible firefox had updated as well (running -dev) but don't recall. i can drop it to 90% and survive, don't sweat it sir.

Thanked by (1)Mason

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

• Some one recommended LES and here I am .
    Thanks for promise of keeping this place cool forever, but I think there is nothing bad in accepting paid ads if they are not hampering overall experience. However, you may disable ads or limit ads for logged in members.

Thanked by (2)lloyd Mason
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Definitely the cleanest principled route to take.

That said I'd not be opposed to some sort of ultra transparent ad setup. Like if some of the OG providers put some ads in the sidebar and there is a monthly post saying 50 bucks in minus 30 @Mason server cost rest goes to fund yabs experiments or whatever that would imo be fine.

Slippery slope tho

Just for the love of god can we please never have flashing animated ads again...static ads only

Thanked by (2)Mason BlaZe
    edited April 2022

In regards to ads --

We are starting a pilot soon(tm) that is kind of an ad, of sorts. How it will work is that a provider can sponsor upcoming LES Talk posts (they'll know in advance what the subject content is, excerpt, length, etc.) for a flat fee. A sponsoring host will have an ad at the top of the thread (static image, link to host's site, small write-up, etc.). These are the only form of sponsored ad placements that we currently plan to have on LES.

Benefits all around from this would be the sponsoring provider having their name on an announced thread (which remains even after the thread is sunk). The majority of the fee paid by the host goes to the content writer. A smaller portion goes to LES to cover transaction fees and any remainder will be used as a buffer to cover payments to content writers with articles that don't get sponsored.

We'll be feeling things out over the coming months and may make some tweaks along the way, but we feel this is a good method to keep good/engaging content coming in, get provider's some increased visibility, and give our content writers some kick backs. Hopefully this is perceived as minimally invasive (no in-your-face flashing gifs on every page), but we'll certainly welcome any feedback along the way.

• No megathreads here like OGF?

Why?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited April 2022

If it's of any help, this is my advertising and guest-posting policy:
    https://bike.bikegremlin.com/links-to-your-website-and-advertising/

It's allowed me to remain as independent and as objective as possible, without preventing me from accepting any help and support. Note that such a policy does get 99.9% of the offers out of the way. Quality over quantity if you like.

Also, this is my Google AdSense setup and experiment:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/11594/adsense-experiment/

That's allowed me to not worry about financing the infrastructure, without letting any ads get in the way of reading the articles (I often use my sites for my own reminder, and if I'm bothered by an ad placement, that ad placement is gone - as simple as that). I prefer having corporations cover the costs, to having people spend their money to support. :)

Thanked by (2)yoursunny zed

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @jmaxwell said:
    No megathreads here like OGF?

To be fair, @FAT32 did an awesome job this time in just letting it sit there... :lol:

So far nine pages of crying for moar and only three or four measily "offers". Not even @rajat could be bothered to copy some...

MEGA. Seems luckily not needed here ;-)

• @jmaxwell said:

I might be wrong but I think Mason said only 2 megathreads per year.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • BF/CM are the only mega threads needed. More than that and it’s diminishing returns.

Thanked by (2)Mason beagle
  • @Falzo said: Not even @rajat could be bothered to copy some...

ROFL

Thanked by (1)Falzo

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @Falzo said:
    So far nine pages of crying for moar and only three or four measily "offers". Not even @rajat could be bothered to copy some...

Impressive, rajat is famous here too.

For ads, I don't think there is any issue on providing some traditional ads, should work as motivation for forum owners or caretakers, they may use funds for some creatives things in future. It may also help advertiser to get some more business otherwise which would have been missed opportunity.

edited April 2022

@jmaxwell said:

We do them every now and then, but not as frequently as OGF. Most holidays I'm usually tied up with family, so I can't properly oversee the festivities.

@BarryHercules said:
    BF/CM are the only mega threads needed. More than that and it’s diminishing returns.

There definitely is a happy balance somewhere. But can easily get everyone burnt out if overdone -- providers and customers alike. Providers come up with no-margin/at-loss packages and customers come looking for the next unsustainable deal... gets into a vicious cycle if there's not enough buffer between big events where providers can sell a significant portion of their stock at normal pricing.

On a side note - I was actually impressed by the exclusives that were posted here organically. Looks like things are moving in a positive direction :)

Thanked by (1)mikho