Me first

Linode
DO

What yours?

Comments

• sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

We use Hetrix

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• @sweatbar said:
    We use Hetrix

Hetrix?

@sonic said:

@sweatbar said:
    We use Hetrix

Hetrix?

hetrixtools.com

• @sweatbar said:

@sonic said:

@sweatbar said:
    We use Hetrix

Hetrix?

hetrixtools.com

It's an uptime monitor. I'm looking for good uptime proviers.

• Hostolutions

Thanked by (2)sonic m4nu

It's an uptime monitor. I'm looking for good uptime providers.

Oh my bad misunderstood your post

Thanked by (1)sonic

• @vyas said:
    Hostolutions

kidding me?
    Hostolutions.ro? isn't is deadpool?

• @sonic said:

@vyas said:
    Hostolutions

kidding me?

You did not define parameters for uptime.

• Duration
    • Consistency or pattern of network traffic
    • Provider induced or self inflicted reboots
    • Network or routing quirks eg. vps accessible via v4 or v6 only

My criterion for best uptime is different, where host solutions triumphs.

Thanked by (1)sonic
  • @vyas said:

@sonic said:

@vyas said:
    Hostolutions

kidding me?

You did not define parameters for uptime.

• Duration
    • Consistency or pattern of network traffic
    • Provider induced or self inflicted reboots
    • Network or routing quirks eg. vps accessible via v4 or v6 only

My criterion for best uptime is different, where host solutions triumphs.

take it easy, just run uptime command is enough for me

• edited March 2022

$ uptime

@uptime

Thanked by (3)sonic TheDP vyas
  • @ehab said:
    $ uptime

@uptime

nice lol

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • m4num4nu Hosting Provider

AWS Lightsail has good uptime for me. Inception as well (they run the forum here, right?). Currently trying Netcup and it’s been good so far. Hetzner Cloud is also pretty good from what I saw. Linode seems good too. Managing a client’s server there and didn’t see an issue in 2 years.

Most providers that have been around for a while have good uptime, I’d say.

Thanked by (1)sonic

Simple and secure Borg Backup hosting from $2/month: BorgBase.com

• Bytemark (now owned by iomart) have been pretty reliable. Odd network blip, but...

$ uptime
     15:52:34 up 1592 days,  3:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

Thanked by (1)sonic
  • My experience, a lot of providers' performance varies by location. High uptime in no particular order, Inception Amsterdam, UltraVPS.eu Düsseldorf, Avoro Frankfurt, and (although they get bagged a lot) some VirMach locations are objectively very reliable.

Plus Azure & the like.

Thanked by (1)sonic
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited March 2022

So far, Darkstar has 100% uptime between reboots for kernel updates, of which there have been several in recent days. The most recent was:

Mon Mar 21 16:41:26 UTC 2022
    a/kernel-generic-5.17.0-x86_64-1.txz:  Upgraded.
    a/kernel-huge-5.17.0-x86_64-1.txz:  Upgraded.
    a/kernel-modules-5.17.0-x86_64-1.txz:  Upgraded.
    d/kernel-headers-5.17.0-x86-1.txz:  Upgraded.
    k/kernel-source-5.17.0-noarch-1.txz:  Upgraded.
    isolinux/initrd.img:  Rebuilt.
    kernels/*:  Upgraded.
    usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img:  Rebuilt.
    +--------------------------+

Right now:

root@darkstar:~# uname -r
    root@darkstar:~# uptime
     20:16:58 up 20:23,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    root@darkstar:~# 

¡Saludos! 🌎🌍

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Mr_Tom said:
    Bytemark (now owned by iomart) have been pretty reliable. Odd network blip, but...

$ uptime
     15:52:34 up 1592 days,  3:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

How do handle kernel and package upgrades that require reboots? do you keep your servers up to date? :D

Thanked by (1)sonic

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• My best two since implementing my current monitoring solution (Freshping) in October 2021 are Primcast and Oracle Cloud Free Tier. Both have either had outages lasting less than 5 minutes (too fast for my monitoring to catch) or have not had any outages at all.

Some hosts I've had downtime with, from best to worst since implementing in October 2021 (provider names have been censored to not hurt anyone's feelings) are as follows:

W*** - Hillsboro, Oregon, USA location:
    1hr, 5m - Avg Uptime 99.97%

O*** - Amsterdam, Netherlands location:
    3hr, 36m - Avg Uptime 99.91%

G*** - Osaka, Japan location:
    8hr, 6m - Avg Uptime 99.80%

I*** - Phoenix, Arizona, USA location:
    12hr, 21m - Avg Uptime 99.72%

M*** - Vienna, Austria location:
    22hr, 23m - Avg Uptime 99.36%

Note that these don't specify reason; they could be due to a network, host issue, or admin error :)

My biggest surprise was the I*** VPS I have. I didn't expect it to have so much downtime, but I honestly can't complain as it was a Black Friday special, and I don't need it 100% of the time. To be fully honest, I have the same mentality with all my stuff. It's all so widely distributed across providers, datacenters, and geographical locations that a single outage doesn't affect me that much. In terms of feel I'd definitely say I've accomplished 99.95% uptime from my own perspective; everything has always been available when I wanted/needed it, so I'm pretty happy overall. Just surprised by some of the metrics!

Thanked by (1)sonic

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @CamoYoshi said:
    My biggest surprise was the I*** VPS I have. I didn't expect it to have so much downtime

I don't mind naming names. My Inception VPS in Phoenix is worse than their other locations (London, Amsterdam), which I suspect is because they use a different (non-Clouvider) provider in that location. Similarly, UltraVPS.eu in Los Angeles uses Psychz and this has not been as good (in my experience) as their Germany stuff.

The other thing is that when we talk about 99.9x% availability a single event can skew the statistics unless they cover several years. For example, your GreenCloud (I assume) was 99.8%. I've got 4 services with them and (without checking) 3 have had no downtime whereas the other had some hardware failure and is 99.8%. So averaged across all 4 the number is 99.95%, but if I only had one VPS my impression might be good or bad depending on which one it is. The higher the expected reliability, the longer we really need to measure to get meaningful numbers that average out random events.

So knowing who is reliable and sharing thoughts with each other is good, but also nice to consider the big picture - crazy stuff can happen to any provider, and the question is how do they deal with it. I've also said before that I'd rather a provider that has a solid 24 hours of downtime over one which has an unpredictable 24 x 1 hour, because I can mitigate that much more easily.

• @tetech said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    My biggest surprise was the I*** VPS I have. I didn't expect it to have so much downtime

I don't mind naming names.

Just didn't want to come across as overly critical but you are right, I think your mentality is a good one to have. Being honest is important. Just was concerned about the inferred reasoning of my post rather than just providing cold hard data. :) Great points!

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

VPSSLIM and LiteServer have been solid for me

• @CamoYoshi said:

@tetech said:

@CamoYoshi said:

I don't mind naming names.

Just didn't want to come across as overly critical but you are right, I think your mentality is a good one to have. Being honest is important. Just was concerned about the inferred reasoning of my post rather than just providing cold hard data. :) Great points!

Perfectly understandable! Raw data is always good.

Thanked by (1)CamoYoshi
  • Vultr and DO. I have some instances with them with 1500+ days uptime. I also have a good experience with Aruba at the past, with 1250+ days uptime.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

WordPress.com - hands down N01 in terms of uptime and stability.
    Not my choice for the lack of freedom and prices, but hard to beat in terms of uptime.

HostMantis comes second, of those I've used and tested.
    No idea whether their VPS hosting is any good though, only used shared and reseller.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @vitobotta said: How do handle kernel and package upgrades that require reboots? do you keep your servers up to date?

That one, obviously, isn't as up to date as it should be. But it also doesn't do anything production (although that's still no excuse). I've been toying with cancelling it for a while but part of me wanted to see how high it went lol.

• terrahost. Holy quaga molly do they are stable! My VPN pumping ISO's 24/7 and is under heavy usage for *tube browsing and still going strong.

• edited March 2022

Uptime as in 'uptime' command: AWS (>3y), Azure (~1y)
    Uptime as in external connectivity measured with Hetrix 1m ping intervals:

• shared hosting: MyW.pt DE 99.9855% (since Aug 2021)
    • VPS: Hosthatch STO (storage) 99.9652% (since Jan 2022) - this includes some self-incurred downtime due to reboots after kernel upgrades

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• With over a decade of use, Ramnode is the most stable provider we've ever seen. Second would probably be Tilaa.