[KTS24.com] Free storage VPS Test terminated prematurely?

edited March 2022 in General

https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/3945/kts24-com-free-storage-vps-for-at-least-3-month

Already got the server two days ago, but received an email about two hours ago, what does this mean? don't know if affect the exist service, seems the service still active.

english:

Dear Beta Testers,

thank you for the numerous interest. Unfortunately, we had to discontinue the beta for the time being. Further changes are necessary. As soon as the beta can be continued. We will inform you separately.

deutsch:

Sehr geehrte Beta-Tester,

wir bedanken uns für das zahlreiche Interesse. Leider mussten wir die Beta vorerst einstellen. Es sind weitere Änderungen notwendig. Sobald die Beta fortgesetzt werden kann. Werden wir Sie separat informieren.

Your
Haendler.IT Team

Comments

• As stated in the letter, the test ended prematurely.

• edited March 2022

@spiritlhl said:
    As stated in the letter, the test ended prematurely.

The current vps which still active will be closed immediately? just tested only two days :#

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

lol

Thanked by (1)bdl

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2022

A case of Premature Evacuation

Thanked by (1)pikachu

Squats are the new Push-ups

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

May have been too much abuse

Thanked by (1)cmeerw
  • Providing for free may become malicious use by lawbreakers, switching to discount offer may reduce the abuse case.

Thanked by (1)cmeerw
  • Didn’t receive any emails but my VM is dead. Now it makes sense. After all it was a beta test so who cares.

Why?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Either people abused the free offer or they found out after 1-2 days that the infrastructure wasn’t as good as they hoped for.

Either way, they will come back with better performance next time :)

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• RapToNRapToN Hosting ProviderOG

That has nothing to do with abuse. Can't say more at the moment, but I think my Team will post more Information as fast as possible.

But please keep in mind that this was a test to find such problems before the storage goes productiv.

• I virtualized at least 10 ubuntu20-sshd (docker) on it, and I have no problem using it for the time being.

• edited March 2022

Dear Beta Testers,

as we already informed you by mail, we had to end the beta prematurely.
    This shutdown was necessary due to hardware problems that were not foreseeable before.
    We thank you for your willingness and ask for your understanding that we were forced to stop the tests.

All services that were created for the BETA test are blocked from now on.

Best regards,

David Werkmeister
    Controlling / Management

• Call me a troll, but I don't believe what he says. It's abuse.

Free VPS simply does not work in 2022.

Thanked by (3)jason5545 cmeerw webcraft

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @deank said:
    Call me a troll, but I don't believe what he says. It's abuse.

Maybe I am the only one to install NextCloud and run YABS once only. Nothing heavy or fancy. Maybe I am too innocent. 🤣🤣

• Glad I once tested my idea on it (virtual multiple dockers capable of connecting with ssh).

• @deank said:
    Call me a troll, but I don't believe what he says. It's abuse.

I can assure you, our involuntary test termination is not an abuse.

• Hardware abused by problems.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny hotsnow

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Hardware DPed.

Thanked by (2)TheDP bdl

After we could finally restore the availability of all data yesterday and talk about the future of Ceph in our company, it is time to inform you why the test lasted so short and had to be stopped so suddenly.
    A test with the new Ceph offerings will follow shortly. Everyone who has already received a test system will be contacted by us.

But now to what has taken every minute of my time since Saturday.

While working on one of the storage systems a failure of a HDD in one of the other nodes occurred. Since we only use two replicas, some data was no longer accessible until the system was restarted.
    At first glance, everything looked fine again. Ceph ran with good performance and restored the replication of the lost data.
    A few hours later, however, the monitoring started to report more and more errors of the Ceph cluster, because another hard disk had failed. From this point on, the data on the Ceph was no longer fully available. Here is a screenshot of the Ceph bandwidth, wich dropped before we decided to stop all Storage VPS:

Fortunately, we were able to recover ALL data and did not suffer any data loss. However, I consider that a stroke of luck. My engineering team and I decided that 2/1 Ceph Storages cannot go into production.

Unfortunately, this increases the costs so much that we would no longer be competitive in storage and will therefore discontinue the Storage VPS 2022 project.
    As we have only equipped two of the storage systems with really large storage capacities due to the 2/1 setup, it is now necessary to expand the third system, which may take a few weeks as parts first have to be procured. As soon as the expansion is completed we will contact all beta testers again and offer a new test.
    Currently I assume that we have to revise the offers fundamentally and will therefore rather offer servers with 2 vCores, 4 GB Ram and 100 GB HDD for testing.

Please excuse that the test had to be canceled at such short notice. I also did not expect to produce the first data loss within a few days. However, the good thing about this is that I was able to gain some new experience with Ceph before the whole thing went into productive operation.

• @RapToN said:

like you said this is a test.
    and beta so no worries.
    there will be something else in next round but hopefully does not ruins the weekend.

if @yoursunny is taking part in the test then don't , he is a boner killer.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @RapToN said:
    Unfortunately, this increases the costs so much that we would no longer be competitive in storage and will therefore discontinue the Storage VPS 2022 project.
    As we have only equipped two of the storage systems with really large storage capacities due to the 2/1 setup, it is now necessary to expand the third system, which may take a few weeks as parts first have to be procured. As soon as the expansion is completed we will contact all beta testers again and offer a new test.

So the project is dead but you still expand it?

Thanked by (2)yoursunny dosai
  • @RapToN Will the party restart?

• @ehab said:
    @yoursunny is a boner killer.

Yes, I'm suffering from tinea cruris and cannot have a boner at the moment.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Nah, it was due to abuse. They ain't gonna go through that again.

• @RapToN said:
    Please excuse that the test had to be canceled at such short notice. I also did not expect to produce the first data loss within a few days. However, the good thing about this is that I was able to gain some new experience with Ceph before the whole thing went into productive operation.

Can I just day thank you for the honest and transparent information? I love that it was a test, and the test helped you make some informed decisions. You did this to look out for future clients - and your honesty is commendable.

Thank you.

Thanked by (1)mikho

@webcraft said:

@RapToN said:

The "Storage" VPS Series wich was planned on our ceph storage is dead, but that dosn't mean there is no use for ceph as storage solution. Without being able to promise anything now, it is possible that we will offer high memory services with HDD storage on the ceph storage in the future.

@deank said:
    Nah, it was due to abuse. They ain't gonna go through that again.

I assume that next time we will formulate the conditions a little differently to allow the active users of LES to test the system, but since I have publicly offered a 3-month free trial we will go through with it, even if the first attempt went considerably worse than expected.

• KermEdKermEd OG
    edited March 2022

@webcraft said:

@RapToN said:

I'd assume English is not their first language or they used the wrong terminology. My advice is to be more empathetic and understanding - it's clear they are trying to come up with a long term solution for users and reconsidering how the offering would work.

• @yoursunny said:

get well soon.

• @RapToN IIRC, that was similar to what happened to ZXPlay (used to advertise on OGF) a few years ago that caused them to deadpool after previously being around for several years. They used Ceph for storage and it died, screwing a lot of customers who had prepaid multiple years for large storage plans.

Thanked by (2)dosai dfroe