What are you self hosting?

The more I do the more I like it :D It's almost addicting. I do it for control, privacy but mostly for fun :D

Below is what I have so far. What about you? Would be nice to learn about new interesting apps I could add to my list :)

Applications:

• Nextcloud
  • Mailcow (email, calendar, contacts)
  • My blogging platform DynaBlogger
  • Minio (assets for my blog)
  • Vaultwarden (password manager)
  • Plausible Analytics
  • Planka (Kanban project management)
  • Commento (for my blog's comments until I finish the same feature in DynaBlogger)
  • Reactive Resume (to easily manage and share my CV/resume)
  • Firefly (personal finance)
  • Wallabag (save articles for reading later)
  • dPaste (pastebin)
  • Crowdsec (intrusion prevention)
  • Bookstack (Wiki)
  • Vikunja (task management)
  • Metabase (a business intelligence solution similar to Google Data Studio)
  • Transmission (to download stuff)
  • Jackett (to manage Torrent indexers)
  • Radarr (to search for movies)
  • Sonarr (to search for tv shows)
  • Plex (media management)
  • Whoogle (private frontend for Google)
  • Gitea (code hosting)
  • NetData (system monitoring)

Supporting services that are required by the above apps:

• MariaDB (dbs for varioys apps)
  • Postgres (dbs for various apps)
  • Clickhouse (data store for Plausible Analytics)
  • Memcached (for caching with various apps)
  • Redis (Caching or other use with several apps)
  • Maxmind (for geolocation with Plausible Analytics)
  • Nginx Proxy Manager (proxy to manage access to apps)

404 Error: Signature Not Found

Thanked by (2)_MS_ ehab

Comments

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited March 2022

That's quite a list already

@vitobotta said: apps I could add to my list

That looks like it may be a docker stack so would probably have expected something like portainer?

Don't see a pihole/adguard. Kuma is also quite popular these days. Same for home assistant. And a lot of people are running dashboards like heimdall. If its a VM based stack then TrueNAS is neat too since it has built in Minio. I also quite like a logging stack - say promtail+loki+grafana

You could also look at adding CI/CD e.g. add on to gitea (say drone). Or gitlab since that has a built in registry which is great if you want to build your own images

I also run a local apt cache that caches a good 80% of my apt requests - mostly from nightly rebuilds of LXC images

Things I've tried but meh - nodered, rancher, appwrite, openfaas, ELK stack, guacamole, huginn

• @havoc said:
    That's quite a list already

@vitobotta said: apps I could add to my list

That looks like it may be a docker stack so would probably have expected something like portainer?

Don't see a pihole/adguard. Kuma is also quite popular these days. Same for home assistant. And a lot of people are running dashboards like heimdall. If its a VM based stack then TrueNAS is neat too since it has built in Minio. I also quite like a logging stack - say promtail+loki+grafana

You could also look at adding CI/CD e.g. add on to gitea (say drone). Or gitlab since that has a built in registry which is great if you want to build your own images

I also run a local apt cache that caches a good 80% of my apt requests - mostly from nightly rebuilds of LXC images

Things I've tried but meh - nodered, rancher, appwrite, openfaas, ELK stack, guacamole, huginn

I forgot to mention that I have in the queue for installation:

• Floccus (cross browser bookmarks syncing)
    • Uptime Kuma
    • Portainer

I don't think PiHole or AdGuard would bring much benefit if I use uBlock Origin, which can also block YouTube ads while the former two can't. What is required to use a home assistant?

Will look into Drone, I could use it for my blogging app.

Since you tried Guacamole, how is it? Have you tried MeshCentral too?

@vitobotta said:

I don't think PiHole or AdGuard would bring much benefit if I use uBlock Origin,

You should. I've got uBlock too...still catches an absolute truckload of BS after. Close to 50% in my case...mostly of that from hardware devices trying to call home (xiaomi, android, even nvidia drivers). Windows telemetry, firefox telemetry etc. You can also set it up to do DNS-over-https though that is a little fiddly.

Also means you can catch in app adds on phone without rooting.

@vitobotta said: Will look into Drone, I could use it for my blogging app.

I personally would jump straight to gitlab since the integration is fab...though it is kinda heavy (4gb+) so I can see why some prefer gitea

Guacamole

Seemed reasonably well polished (apache backed I think). But didn't really have a use case since all my stuff is cli anyway

May need to have another go at this one though

What is required to use a home assistant?

There is a docker version, but only the VM version supports add-ons I think. You need IoT to control else its a little pointless. The whole ESPHome eco system is pretty great if soldering stuff is your thing too

Floccus

Call never heard of that one. That plus nextcloud is def something I need to check out

• @havoc said:

@vitobotta said:

I don't think PiHole or AdGuard would bring much benefit if I use uBlock Origin,

You should. I've got uBlock too...still catches an absolute truckload of BS after. Close to 50% in my case...mostly of that from hardware devices trying to call home (xiaomi, android, even nvidia drivers). Windows telemetry, firefox telemetry etc. You can also set it up to do DNS-over-https though that is a little fiddly.

Also means you can catch in app adds on phone without rooting.

Do yo run PiHole/AdGuard on a server? If yes I guess you restrict access to port 53 by IP right? Otherwise your server could be used in amplification attacks.

@vitobotta said: Will look into Drone, I could use it for my blogging app.

I personally would jump straight to gitlab since the integration is fab...though it is kinda heavy (4gb+) so I can see why some prefer gitea

I have Gitea already. I have used Gitlab before and it's too much going on in comparison.

Guacamole

Seemed reasonably well polished (apache backed I think). But didn't really have a use case since all my stuff is cli anyway

I have read about it but I am confused. Do you need to install a client on the computers?

May need to have another go at this one though

What is required to use a home assistant?

There is a docker version, but only the VM version supports add-ons I think. You need IoT to control else its a little pointless. The whole ESPHome eco system is pretty great if soldering stuff is your thing too

I meant what kind of appliances etc would I need? I don't have any smart ones lol

Floccus

Call never heard of that one. That plus nextcloud is def something I need to check out

Nextcloud is awesome in terms of features. I just with it was as fast as Resilio at syncing. The difference is massive.

edited March 2022

@vitobotta said: Do yo run PiHole/AdGuard on a server?

On local proxmox server. Two actually...one on main server, one on a raspberry for failover. Don't really like having anything open internet side except from wireguard.

@vitobotta said: I meant what kind of appliances etc would I need? I don't have any smart ones lol

I mostly control lights with it, but it is a bit of a rabbit hole of what can be done...anything you've got ideas & money for basically

@vitobotta said: I have read about it but I am confused. Do you need to install a client on the computers?

You'd need to enable VNC or RDP on them for GUI yes

...actually...just had another look at guac and might actually be good. Supports file upload which is neat, screen scaling work well for terminals. Hating the lack of direct paste though

• @havoc said:

@vitobotta said: Do yo run PiHole/AdGuard on a server?

You'd need to enable VNC or RDP on them for GUI yes

...actually...just had another look at guac and might actually be good. Supports file upload which is neat, screen scaling work well for terminals. Hating the lack of direct paste though

Ah.... I thought it had its own client with secure connection.

@vitobotta said:

Ah.... I thought it had its own client with secure connection.

Not the encryption part is pihole to upstream. 1.1.1.1 or whatever

• i self host adguard home dns server and an openvpn server at different hosts. plan to add more apps later when space and time is available.

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • ivanhivanh OG
    edited March 2022

Confused me a bit not seeing my post, then realised its a cross post.
    Anyhow, here's my current stack spread over a few dedicated and home servers running proxmox.

authelia
    ovpn
    librenms
    hestiacp
    tacticalrmm
    bitwarden
    mailcow
    pritunl
    3cx
    pihole
    wazuh
    jellyfin
    plex
    tautulli
    npm
    go access (npm web stats, https://github.com/xavier-hernandez/goaccess-for-nginxproxymanager)
    uptime-kuma
    prowlarr
    heimdall
    librespeed
    overseerr
    synclounge
    radarr
    sonarr
    gotify
    requestrr
    portainer
    bookstack
    wallabag
    invoiceninja

• My stuff:
    Flame
    Plex
    Medusa
    Wirehole
    BitWarden
    Ubooquity
    Invidious
    Change Detection
    Dpaste
    Uptime-Kuma
    Watchtower
    Whoogle
    Gonic
    mkdocs
    Hugo

Thanked by (2)ehab skorous
  • edited March 2022

Copying my response from OGF, although my stack changed a bit:

1. A Hosthatch VPS used as a development environment, which I connect to using vscode. I mostly use it as a x86 development environment for various apps that I write.
    2. A GreenCloud promo box running a custom web app in production, that serves a semi-popular website.
    3. A x86 Oracle free tier instance running a test copy of the same web app, for integration tests.
    4. Promo boxes from WebHorizon, GreenCloud and Virmach running Gitlab CI workers, to build and test various personal projects that I write, including the aforementioned web app.
    5. A minio instance running on an InceptionHosting storage promo box, to store backups of my VPSes and release artifacts that come from CI stages of my projects.
    6. A monitoring node running on a ARM Oracle free tier instance, that runs a Grafana/Loki/Prometheus stack for collecting metrics and logs for the production instance in (2).
    7. An instance of code-server running on a Webhorizon promo box; idling at the moment.
  • edited March 2022

mediawiki
    imap+postfix+my control panel without a name
    personal website/app? idk what it is
    rabbitmq
    gitea

@stevewatson301 said: A minio instance running on an InceptionHosting storage promo box, to store backups of my VPSes and release artifacts that come from CI stages of my projects.

what is your ram usage and disk usage on minio so far?

• KermEdKermEd OG
    edited March 2022

This is hard for me to breakdown …

• Lots of Proxmox
    • Gitlab (I have over 450 repositories on it, some 15gb+, I write a lot of code)
    • TeamCity (builds our apps, games and VR stuff automatically)
    • Leantime (custom modified, it’s a lighter Jira alternative, but free, and not so cumbersome to work with)
    • 20+ Wordpress instances, 3 Mediawiki
    • Reports (custom mean stack app for analytics for my apps/games/vr, also let’s me remote kill bad builds)
    • Platform (custom mean stack app for managing devices, installations of games and apps on them, score tracking for users)
    • PenPot (Adobe XD alternative)
    • Nakuma (BaaS for mobile apps, games and VR experiences)
    • PrivateBin (ad free pastebin)
    • Forge Networking, Atavision & Photon servers, many (custom multiplayer servers for our apps and games and VR stuff)
    • Minecraft (modded JavaScript version with best VR support cuz the team needs gaming time together)
    • ~8 odd machine learning things (mostly image, 3D and rigging systems)
    • Custom octree system (lets me break 10b+ point clouds into sizeable chunks for low end devices automagically)
    • Custom decimation system (also lets me break up 100m+ tri CAD into custom load systems for low end devices)
    • oTranslate (online translation system)
    • Bitwarden (although not really needed as I have a technique for making and remembering unique passwords)
    • Sandcat (it’s like a sub installer for lots of open source thingies, handy, installed a dozen of its thingies)
    • Many more odd little things like a free Trello alternative, mail systems, etc. can’t remember them all…
    Thanked by (1)kerm1
  • @KermEd said: This is hard for me to breakdown …

Is all of this for a company that you run or is this just for yourself?

@KermEd said: Gitlab (I have over 450 repositories on it, some 15gb+, I write a lot of code)

Any reason Gitlab's SaaS offering or alternatives like Gitea don't work for you? I've been looking to migrate from Gitlab SaaS to Gitea and wanted an opinion.

Thanked by (1)jmaxwell
  • edited March 2022

@GirlButGuyIRL said: what is your ram usage and disk usage on minio so far?

If it's an option look into disabling multipart uploads on the client side (mc mv --disable-multipart or simple PutObject as opposed to CreateMultipartUpload), use that.

Minio's single filesystem mode implements multipart uploads in the worst possible way, by putting back the individually uploaded parts into a single file, instead of writing a bit of metadata while maintaining the individually uploaded parts. This unsurprisingly causes high disk usage but Minio has been too "enterprise"-focused to implement such features in their single filesystem mode.

Edit: I realized I didn't address the question about resource usage so I'll get an iotop when making a large number of requests.

• Nice lists! Thanks for sharing, I have learned about a few tools I didn't know about :)

• At home I have the following for my local network:

Proxmox install, currently with 1 VM that runs PiHole for local DNS.

I also have a small dedi running Swizzin (https://swizzin.ltd). It runs as a private VPN endpoint, "media acquisition box" and runs a Syncthing daemon as well.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Currently 1 Virtualbox VM running ZorinOS at home for dev stuff :)

• @stevewatson301 said:

@KermEd said: This is hard for me to breakdown …

Is all of this for a company that you run or is this just for yourself?

Mostly for myself but starting to get folx at the company using them :). My life and company kind of boils together into a gelatinous goo...

@KermEd said: Gitlab (I have over 450 repositories on it, some 15gb+, I write a lot of code)

Any reason Gitlab's SaaS offering or alternatives like Gitea don't work for you? I've been looking to migrate from Gitlab SaaS to Gitea and wanted an opinion.

Size! Gitlab is rolling out a 5GB limit per namespace - my repositories are about 120GB combined. So it was either pay them 700/year or self host. That said I have a few at the 15GB size that just can't be uploaded to gitlab.

My main concern with Gitea is if it can handle the amount of data I have. I was using gitlab SaaS for about 9 years before outgrowing it.

Gitlabs extremely stable and well supported. I like it a lot :)

• Many interesting apps here. Going to try one by one in my spare time.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @stevewatson301 said: Minio's single filesystem mode implements multipart uploads in the worst possible way, by putting back the individually uploaded parts into a single file, instead of writing a bit of metadata while maintaining the individually uploaded parts. This unsurprisingly causes high disk usage but Minio has been too "enterprise"-focused to implement such features in their single filesystem mode.

Thank you for letting me know, "hack" json storage with nginx/webdav and since most 100% of all items so far are < 10mb and the usage is really low, I thought minio would be nice because of the s3 libraries available/support but wanted to keep this on a 512mb ram < vps

• @GirlButGuyIRL said: Thank you for letting me know, "hack" json storage with nginx/webdav and since most 100% of all items so far are < 10mb and the usage is really low, I thought minio would be nice because of the s3 libraries available/support but wanted to keep this on a 512mb ram < vps

RAM wise it's not a problem, I've run Minio on 512MB RAM VPSes. The only problem with Minio has been its implementation of multipart uploads and if you can avoid that or only upload small files (~ 8 MB), you'll be fine.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Fritz said:
    Many interesting apps here. Going to try one by one in my spare time.

I agree. I love inspiration like this. Ml-workspace setup is what I'll probably give a try soon :)