Photo Backup/Server

Have been using PhotoPrism.

Working great so far but having a few nagging issues.. sharing is buggy, some issues with photo stackings.. Image123.heic is stacked up with image123.jpg even when all the stacking options are off.

Wondering what others are using for the photo backup? This space was very active when Google Photos became limited.

Let me hear your experience!

Comments

• Some storage VPS for me is enough. I have a partition mounted using SFTP. Also I backup that VPS to onedrive.

• edited March 2022

Using Google Photos for a handful of my most important pics, and storage VPS + Degoo.com as secondary / tertiary backup (the last two also include memes and other low priority stuff I'm unable to fit into GDrive).

I have to be honest, Degoo is nowhere close to GPhotos in terms of ease of use and functionality...
    For example, you can't download a lot of files at once, unless you opt for a paid account (which seem to be a superb deal at first glance - esp. 10 TB/10 USD/m.), but sadly, there are a lot of horror stories of people's paid accounts being deleted for supposed copyright abuse soon after making a payment. This is really interesting, considering the data is supposed to be 'zero knowledge encrypted', lol... B)
    Noenetheless, I think they still might be nice to have as secondary/tertiary backup, esp. if you want to have an online album without the hassle of having to set it up manually (compared to any self-hosted option) - I wouldn't trust them enough to be used as primary backup though! ><"

I also briefly considered using Shutterfly because of their advertised unlimited storage, and while I haven't ended up using them, I suspect that there might be some kind of catch to their offer as well (because no matter how you look at it, getting unlimited storage for free does sound too good to be true)

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• Local RAID-1 NAS for me.

Thanked by (1)root

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• People tend to forget about Amazon Photos. If you're a Prime member, I think it's unlimited. It's nice being able to use certain folders as screensavers on my firesticks.

• Storage VPS for backup plus
    pCloud for sharing. Or Koofr

@niknar1900 said:
    People tend to forget about Amazon Photos. If you're a Prime member, I think it's unlimited. It's nice being able to use certain folders as screensavers on my firesticks.

If in selected countries, and if a prime member

Too many iffs

Thanked by (1)casadebamburojo

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @niknar1900 said:
    People tend to forget about Amazon Photos. If you're a Prime member, I think it's unlimited. It's nice being able to use certain folders as screensavers on my firesticks.

Yeah. Though I pay 3 bucks for prime but do not have access this this.

• I use onedrive. It is pretty much like cold backups, retrieving is painfully slow (Microsoft's network is crap).

• rootroot OG
    edited March 2022

I use cold storage (external HDDs) in faraday cages, and also multiple cheap storage servers with encrypted partitions. I mount them using SFTP to upload data from time to time.

As a side note: I refuse to give my family photos to Amazon, Google, Microsoft, or other greedy corporation investing in AI. Money is irrelevant when it comes to my family.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

How are you... online?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@dosai said:
    I use onedrive. It is pretty much like cold backups, retrieving is painfully slow (Microsoft's network is crap).

I synced my Lightroom catalog with onedrive when I switched computers and it did it without any problems.

I have since ran out of space on my onedrive 🤷🏻So I’m not using it anymore.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @dosai said:
    I use onedrive. It is pretty much like cold backups, retrieving is painfully slow (Microsoft's network is crap).

Wait, what? I'm able to transfer from OneDrive at around 500Mbit in both directions. Wouldn't call that painfully slow 🤷

• @daffy said:

@dosai said:

Wait, what? I'm able to transfer from OneDrive at around 500Mbit in both directions. Wouldn't call that painfully slow 🤷

But it depends on the plan. The free version has a limit, the business version included in the highest office 365 for bussiness plan works very quickly and has an unlimited amount of space (if you know what to do).

Thanked by (1)daffy
  • @daffy said:

@dosai said:

I have a 100/100 line but I was never able reach more than 5MB/s while uploading. The main problem was when viewing the photos through explorer (sync with onedrive app) or via browser. It was very slow.

@Hertonis said:

@daffy said:

@dosai said:

But it depends on the plan. The free version has a limit, the business version included in the highest office 365 for bussiness plan works very quickly and has an unlimited amount of space (if you know what to do).

I have a paid family 365 plan though.

• Hope it's OK if I ask this here: can PhotoPrism be hooked to Nextcloud storage to retrieve the photos BUT without duplicating photos and without changing anything in the actual files in Nextcloud? Thanks

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• to be more on topic: I have all my photos in iCloud, and the library is synced to Nextcloud self hosted. My server is backed up to both Hetzner Storage Box and Backblaze B2.

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• @niknar1900 said:

Yep unlimited. Android app available. Lots of "On This Day" notifications. Shareable links