Internxt 1TB lifetime deal - €75 (€25 off) for next 24 hours

Comments

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited April 2022

@vyas said:
    @Mason said

but I don't think I'd ever have more than 1 or 2TB of data that I'd need hot backups for.

Be prepared to deny making that statement once you reach a certain age. Like this guy

Hahah well... I certainly have room to expand on my home NAS should I need to:

(repurposed Plex server since I store all of that media in the cloud now)

edit: shit.... I think I just outed myself as a spinning rust idler. carry on.

Thanked by (1)Wonder_Woman

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @BarryHercules said:

@angstrom said:

@BarryHercules said:

@angstrom said:

@BarryHercules said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:
    It's 69€ now. @Nekki did it. Or was it @FAT32 . Was quite surprised that the CEO jumped on my thread over there tbh. I just realized they have been a member of LE community since 2016.

Just as a heads up, see my post in that thread on OGF

I don't think that I'll fall go for it, but to each their own

I thought I recognised the name from somewhere.

In all fairness, if you read the complaints in those threads, he must have dealt with those to some degree to get Telefonica to give him €4m.

What is striking to me is simply the contrast: people (including you) were rightly skeptical earlier, and now everyone seems to be more than willing to throw their money at him/them.

I’ve not given them a penny.

I would say that this guy fvsegarra is a (very) smooth operator -- this was my impression earlier as well -- and critical elements of the package are hype and hyperbole.

Would you not say that folks like Telefonica are able to spot bullshit better than the LET horde?

Yes, they (Telefonica) probably are. (But let's not ignore the "Spanish Google Drive" factor.)

That said, I'm obviously not in a position to evaluate Internxt. I just wanted to point out that we had seen this guy before and that (therefore) one should remain prudent about all of this.

One should always be prudent when spending money on something you don’t really need.

If you look at the thread, you can definitely argue that in order to get to the point he’s at today, either the guy has dealt with a lot of the issues raised in the threads or he is a legendary bullshitter on par with Elizabeth Holmes. Either way, I’m along for the ride.

The analogy with E. Holmes is pretty apt (even if fvsegarra is a less dramatic example than she is). I'll grant that such people are brilliant in their ability to convince others of a "revolutionary" vision based on a certain idea.

But back to fvsegarra and Internxt*: I'll stick to my view that hype and hyperbole are crucial elements of the package (not to mention a dose of Spanish pride), but I wouldn't say that they're intentionally scamming people.

*By the way, I don't find the unpronounceable name "Internxt" brilliant at all, but this may just be me

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @TheDP said:

@angstrom said:

@BarryHercules said:

@angstrom said:

@BarryHercules said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:
    It's 69€ now. @Nekki did it. Or was it @FAT32 . Was quite surprised that the CEO jumped on my thread over there tbh. I just realized they have been a member of LE community since 2016.

I thought I recognised the name from somewhere.

In all fairness, if you read the complaints in those threads, he must have dealt with those to some degree to get Telefonica to give him €4m.

What is striking to me is simply the contrast: people (including you) were rightly skeptical earlier, and now everyone seems to be more than willing to throw their money at him/them.

I’ve not given them a penny.

I would say that this guy fvsegarra is a (very) smooth operator -- this was my impression earlier as well -- and critical elements of the package are hype and hyperbole.

Would you not say that folks like Telefonica are able to spot bullshit better than the LET horde?

Yes, they (Telefonica) probably are. (But let's not ignore the "Spanish Google Drive" factor.)

That said, I'm obviously not in a position to evaluate Internxt. I just wanted to point out that we had seen this guy before and that (therefore) one should remain prudent about all of this.

To be honest, for me it was more of a FOMO.

I appreciate your honesty. :) We're all victims of FOMO at times. :)

Plus whatever online "media" coverage they've had, pushed me even more :|

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the "media" coverage seems to come from Spain, or is there a convincing piece somewhere that doesn't come from Spain?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @root said:
    I am struggling to avoid that offer. It's just one of those tempting extremely cheap offers, too good to be true.

Yes, indeed, too good to be true.

• @dosai said:
    Looks like many bought, hope they don't deadpool.

For the time being, they're still riding on venture capital and on money from lifetime subscriptions, but it's hard to say how long this will last

Thanked by (1)dosai

• @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

Were you referring to their past history? Oh, well.. thanks for the headsup, but I bit the bullet two weeks ago anyway, let's see how it plays out. So far the article on Techcrunch and Venturebeat give me hopes for a better future. I'd assume the CEO has also learnt his lessons/stuff along the way and the continued participation in the thread and quick replies leave a positive first impression :)

I already knew about the bad reviews on Reddit/Trustpilot when I checked them out about a year ago, so I'm really gambling on the future here. Since I've also got Koofr, pCloud, GDrive, I'm not really dependent on this deal to work out, but LTD addiction kicks in, so here we are. Maybe also because I love Valencia :D

Hey, love of Valencia and LTD addition would definitely make this offer irresistible -- I understand. :)

I appreciate your honesty. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Mason said:
    I'm curious since it seems like a lot of people always jump on storage offers when they're this cheap. And its often the same people every time from what I can tell.

So I wonder which one of these is true:
    1. You guys just like cheap shit and idle storage space like you idle cheap ass BF servers.
    2. You guys like cheap storage because you actually have a ton of data that needs backed up regularly.
    3. You have to keep finding a new storage provider because the cheap ones keep deadpooling. (Really hope this one isn't the case, but if it is then it may be time to reevaluate future purchases)

Perhaps I'm just not a power user like you guys, but I don't think I'd ever have more than 1 or 2TB of data that I'd need hot backups for. And I just have my backups in a local NAS in my house and a duplicate copy stored in the cloud (GDrive).

Probably 1) and LTD fan (also for VPNs as you may know :P ). Regarding 2): nope mostly just idling (I make lifetime deals sustainable for providers by letting them idle so others can benefit lol *jk

3) None of the Lifetime deals I ever bought deadpooled iirc. Neither VPN nor storage.

Thanked by (1)Mason
    edited April 2022

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

Were you referring to their past history? Oh, well.. thanks for the headsup, but I bit the bullet two weeks ago anyway, let's see how it plays out. So far the article on Techcrunch and Venturebeat give me hopes for a better future. I'd assume the CEO has also learnt his lessons/stuff along the way and the continued participation in the thread and quick replies leave a positive first impression :)

I already knew about the bad reviews on Reddit/Trustpilot when I checked them out about a year ago, so I'm really gambling on the future here. Since I've also got Koofr, pCloud, GDrive, I'm not really dependent on this deal to work out, but LTD addiction kicks in, so here we are. Maybe also because I love Valencia :D

Hey, love of Valencia and LTD addition would definitely make this offer irresistible -- I understand. :)

It didn't help that I bought this deal...in Valencia :) ...explaining my purchase to the gf by "it's a company from Valencia...and storage...and we love Valencia."

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG

@Ympker said:

@Mason said:
    I'm curious since it seems like a lot of people always jump on storage offers when they're this cheap. And its often the same people every time from what I can tell.

1. You guys just like cheap shit and idle storage space like you idle cheap ass BF servers.
    2. You guys like cheap storage because you actually have a ton of data that needs backed up regularly.
    3. You have to keep finding a new storage provider because the cheap ones keep deadpooling. (Really hope this one isn't the case, but if it is then it may be time to reevaluate future purchases)

Perhaps I'm just not a power user like you guys, but I don't think I'd ever have more than 1 or 2TB of data that I'd need hot backups for. And I just have my backups in a local NAS in my house and a duplicate copy stored in the cloud (GDrive).

Probably 1) and LTD fan (also for VPNs as you may know :P ). Regarding 2): nope mostly just idling (I make lifetime deals sustainable for providers by letting them idle so others can benefit lol *jk

3) None of the Lifetime deals I ever bought deadpooled iirc. Neither VPN nor storage.

You are every provider's ideal low end customer :P

Thanked by (2)angstrom Ympker

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• vyasvyas OG
    edited April 2022

@Mason said:

@Ympker said:

@Mason said:

You are every provider's ideal low end customer :P

No Shit!
    So far... he doesn't PMS, seem to violate TOS, doesn't create 100 tickets, hope he atleast does a chargeback.
    Otherwise if I were a provider, I would refund the money to @ympker and terminate his service. #boringcustomer

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

It didn't help that I bought this deal...in Valencia :) ...explaining my purchase to the gf by "it's a company from Valencia...and storage...and we love Valencia."

I see. :)

Let me revise slightly what I said: Love of Valencia and being In Valencia and LTD addiction would definitely make this offer super irresistible. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited April 2022

To be fair, while pulling the trigger was kinda caused by FOMO (I was under the impression the lifetime deal had been discontinued months ago and when I was in Valencia I read some techblog that stated Internxt re-activated the LTD for a short time just for them), I actually did check out Internxt already about a year ago when I was also checking out pCloud and decided to skip both for the time being but kept them in mind. Then later bought pCloud as my GDrive account was reaching capacity limits and now Internxt :P Soooo, yeah. While the purchase was kinda a quick impulse buy, I had already done my research on Internxt multiple times in the past :D
    Valencian weather, holiday mood (in holidays it's ok to spend money) and the Telefonica investor backing along with FOMO may have triggered my purchase.

Thanked by (1)angstrom
    edited April 2022

By the way I love the comments from you guys <3 Offer me a LTD for coffee that's the next one I'll bite :)

If anyone asks why these lifetime deals can be sustainable:

Koofr: 600GB/1TB (backup of GOG Install files, hello The Witcher 3 and other mostly encrypted backups)

pCloud: 34GB/500GB (replaced my GDrive with Uni stuff and lots of hot storage)

Internxt: 1GB/2TB (to be continued)

Degoo: 3GB photos / 100GB ( their photo optimization decreases file size but there's lots of photos on there already)

Lifetime VPNs:

Keepsolid, Windscribe, FastestVPN, Ivacy, R4WR.

Total traffic among all VPNs per month: roughly 30GB

Thanked by (3)intermall angstrom Rengar
  • @Ympker said:
    To be fair, while pulling the trigger was kinda caused by FOMO (I was under the impression the lifetime deal had been discontinued months ago and when I was in Valencia I read some techblog that stated Internxt re-activated the LTD for a short time just for them), I actually did check out Internxt already about a year ago when I was also checking out pCloud and decided to skip both for the time being but kept them in mind. Then later bought pCloud as my GDrive account was reaching capacity limits and now Internxt :P Soooo, yeah. While the purchase was kinda a quick impulse buy, I had already done my research on Internxt multiple times in the past :D
    Valencian weather, holiday mood (in holidays it's ok to spend money) and the Telefonica investor backing along with FOMO may have triggered my purchase.

My final revision: Love of Valencia and being In Valencia and LTD addiction and FOMO would definitely make this offer super incredibly irresistible. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

My final revision: Love of Valencia and being In Valencia and LTD addiction and FOMO would definitely make this offer super incredibly irresistible. :)

Sounds like you've done your due research. That would be very much on point, I guess (for better or worse) :D

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker - diese gut?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited April 2022

@Falzo said:
    @Ympker - diese gut?

You might be asking the wrong person :D I'm already all-in. Feature wise it's still in baby steps, but the sun shines 320 days a year in Valencia and they have secured 40 million USD investor backing (among others Telefonica O2), so I'd assume the future leads somewhere. Whether the lifetime deal then will still be around is another question hence why I bought it now. Once there is an API, I might attempt coding a wp backup plugin for it to allow e2e encrypted cloud backups. No idea if it'll work out though :P

It's like "Döner ohne Zwiebel und Tomate bitte". You never know if you'll actually get what you paid for or Döner mit allem ;)

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker said: and they have secured 40 million USD investor backing (among others Telefonica O2),

Just curious: where did you see this amount (40 million USD)?

edited April 2022

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said: and they have secured 40 million USD investor backing (among others Telefonica O2),

Ah, I might have misphrased this. Valued at 40 million: https://venturebeat.com/2022/04/25/web3-startup-internxt-valued-at-40m-aims-to-compete-with-google-drive/

Funding is 4m $ apparently.

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said: and they have secured 40 million USD investor backing (among others Telefonica O2),

Ah, I might have misphrased this. Valued at 40 million: https://venturebeat.com/2022/04/25/web3-startup-internxt-valued-at-40m-aims-to-compete-with-google-drive/

Funding is 4m $ apparently.

Alles klar :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• Just curious: if one signs up, do they give a download link to the desktop client? I don't see a page about this on their site.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@angstrom said:
    Just curious: if one signs up, do they give a download link to the desktop client? I don't see a page about this on their site.

Is not available here? https://internxt.com/drive

If not, once you login to view your files on web there is a "Desktop App" button on the left hand side (downloads .deb file for me).

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:
    Just curious: if one signs up, do they give a download link to the desktop client? I don't see a page about this on their site.

Oh, of course: I scrolled down that page too quickly! =)

If not, once you login to view your files on web there is a "Desktop App" button on the left hand side (downloads .deb file for me).

Okay. :)

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

You can create a free acc with 2GB space to give it a try :)

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

Only 2GB and not 10GB? I thought that it was "Enjoy up to 10GB forever" :)

edited April 2022

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

Yeah. 10GB if you invite x people ;) Marketing Gimmick. That's why it says "up to" :P

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker said: 3) None of the Lifetime deals I ever bought deadpooled iirc. Neither VPN nor storage.

You have been lucky. I've had two of my VPN providers die - liquidvpn and proxy.sh - and one of my smartdns providers.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

Yeah. 10GB if you invite x people ;) Marketing Gimmick. That's why it says "up to" :P

Oh, I see, clever: they would have fooled me!

I think that I can resist this one :)

Is the whole thing (clients and server) really open source? (They seem to say that it is.)

If so, then couldn't one in principle self-host an Internxt server?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited April 2022

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

Oh, I see, clever: they would have fooled me!

I think that I can resist this one :)

Is the whole thing (clients and server) really open source? (They seem to say that it is.)

If so, then couldn't one in principle self-host an Internxt server?

Yeah, that's why I warned you :D

It seems like it is (for the most part?!): https://github.com/internxt

The idea once was that everyone can host an Internxt server. That idea, however, got abolished 1-2 years ago iirc, because private contributors were just not reliable enough. Now, it's businesses/DCs only.

Thanked by (1)angstrom
  • @Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

True

Thanked by (2)Ympker angstrom