MaxKVM "Migration"

edited May 2022 in Industry News

Email received on 9:05 AM UTC+7

To Whom It May Concern:

A global hardware and network upgrade for the MaxKVM Cloud has been arranged, and new virtual machine host servers with PCIe4 NVMe SSDs and dual 40GE network cards are scheduled to deploy very soon to improve I/O performance and network connectivity in all locations.

Existing services will begin migration to the new hardware on or before this Saturday, 5/21/22, and the move will be completed by the end of the month. Pricing will not change for any existing services, and a notice with the time and date of the scheduled maintenance for each location will be emailed as soon as possible.

Any downtime for this upgrade can be avoided with a support ticket request for virtual machine migration to another location or system reprovisioning without data transfer. Maintenance should be expected to last between 2 and 24 hours for each location depending on data transfer speed and network arrangements.

The S/PKVM line has been set out of stock and will be retired, but a new line of virtual machines has been created with similar pricing and specifications to launch on or before 6/1/22: 

https://manage.maxkvm.com/store/maxkvm-global-cloud

To possibly make up for any inconvenience caused by recent outages or migrations, all active users will be issued account credit equal to 50% of one month of service for use on renewal or new purchases.

In addition, the code UPGRADE50 has been temporarily activated for a 50% recurring discount off any new service and will be kept available as long as possible.

Please feel welcome to contact anytime with any questions.

Thank you,

MaxKVM Support

TL;DR (probably)
We are moving to a new host on or before 21 May 2022 until end of month. Same price as before. Active customer gets 50% of one month service (?) account credit. Here's 50% discount.

MaxKVM New Service
  1. Would you still use MaxKVM service considering their recent drama?42 votes
    1. Yes
      16.67%
    2. No
      52.38%
    3. $7
      30.95%
Thanked by (1)FrankZ
Tagged:

Comments

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

and higher prices. seems they got fucked by Hivelocity or they fucked themselves

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    and higher prices. seems they got fucked by Hivelocity or they fucked themselves

ignoring the reputation they have now...
    The only price that's higher than previous plan is the AX-4 (2C/4G) albeit with more disk (+5GB) and more bandwidth (+2TB). My order still pending though since they said it'll be available on 1 June so no YABS.

AX-4
    2x vCPU (EPYC 7702p)
    4GB RAM (ECC DDR4)
    80GB SSD (NVMe SSD RAID10)
    5TB Traffic (Inbound + Outbound, monthly)
    10Gbps+ Port Speed (Dual 40G uplink)
    $12.99/mo

vs

SKVM-4G
    2x CPU (EPYC)
    4GB ECC
    75GB NVMe
    3TB @ 1Gbps
    $12.00/mo

• hm, did he square his issues with hivelocity? and did he even address them? that whole "everybody harass hivelocity" thing made me leery of dealing with him.

I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.

• @zed said:
    hm, did he square his issues with hivelocity?

Probably forced to migrate with 1 month grace period. only a speculation, don't quote me

and did he even address them? that whole "everybody harass hivelocity" thing made me leery of dealing with him.

MaxKVM sent no other email other than the "Annnouncement" to send Hivelocity support some lovely mail.

• Wondering if they're staying at HVC or will be moving out 🤔

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@TheDP said: Wondering if they're staying at HVC or will be moving out 🤔

There is no reason to wonder about this given the situation.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @TheDP said:
    Wondering if they're staying at HVC or will be moving out 🤔

AFAIK, HVC doesn't have Epyc 7702P which MaxKVM offers on the new lineup.

Thanked by (2)TheDP Konstantin
  • @FrankZ said:

Oh the reason is simply because there hasn't been any further communications regarding the recent incident :smiley:

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• After 2 hours of deep research clicking page 2 on google, datapacket.com is the only provider that match MaxKVM plans. They have 7702P, 5 MaxKVM location, and the 40G uplink.

Thanked by (3)zed Falzo AlwaysSkint
  • How would you guys rate maxkvm? I have seen it on lowendtalk and am thinking of trying it out

• @tme said:
    How would you guys rate maxkvm? I have seen it on lowendtalk and am thinking of trying it out

10/10, before the drama of course. Now I still waiting for them deploy my new server, should be on 1 June or sooner.

Thanked by (1)sanvit
  • FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@TheDP said:

@FrankZ said:

Oh the reason is simply because there hasn't been any further communications regarding the recent incident :smiley:

I meant to convey that there was no way that HVC and MaxKVM were going to patch up their relationship after the incident you are referring to.

Thanked by (1)zed

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @tme said: How would you guys rate maxkvm?

Based on my personal experience, I was happy with the performance and stability of my services.

With regards to support, didn't need much of it and no issues as far as I can recall.

• @FrankZ said:

@TheDP said:

@FrankZ said:

I meant to convey that there was no way that HVC and MaxKVM were going to patch up their relationship after the incident you are referring to.

Oh yeah definitely.

• Cancelling mine. Too risky.

• I jumped ship long before the drama, never looked back and I'm glad.

• edited May 2022

@kuroneko23 said:
    After 2 hours of deep research clicking page 2 on google, datapacket.com is the only provider that match MaxKVM plans. They have 7702P, 5 MaxKVM location, and the 40G uplink.

Looks to be correct based on a NYC test-ip I was given to test routing changes (plus a couple other data center companies). I'd trust them on what they're doing here. The plan looks solid but I'd be prepared for migration hiccups and have external backups/DR already activated in case anything goes wrong in the process.

Thanked by (1)kuroneko23
  • My "professional" expectation is that they're being shown the door and this "upgrade" is a cover for them to move to a new datacenter.

For all current and future MaxKVM customers, expect a different network blend and level of datacenter support.

• New servers to fill? Moar promos!

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• If I were a client, I would still stay. I see him fighting to get things back to normal.

• @Amadex said:
    If I were a client, I would still stay. I see him fighting to get things back to normal.

What I see is they're calling people dumb, low IQ, provoking other. No explanation and apologize.

Thanked by (2)zenkul yoursunny

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• Such "provider" is in par with legendary hostsolutions. Incompetence at unimaginable levels, vainglory and disrespect to customer. Anyone taking this "discount" is well deserved this "provider".

• @Dazzle said: What I see is they're calling people dumb, low IQ, provoking other. No explanation and apologize.

I leave them because of this problem and they didn't even care to reply to anyone anymore, just clicking the like button like a boss

• Jab said:
    New servers to fill? Moar promos!

They need those money since datapacket servers are expensive (about 2.9k push-up per month per server)

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

I'd probably get a plan with them if they wise up and offer 75% discount. 50%, not lowend enough

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    I'd probably get a plan with them if they wise up and offer 75% discount. 50%, not lowend enough

Use coupon code #stupid

Thanked by (1)cybertech