Which free webpanel do you use?

2»

Comments

• @kaokao2222 said:
    @Falzo are you HestiaCP's forum moderator, right bro :3

yep, that'd be me ;-)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Amadex said: Free: Keyhelp

Could you explain why you're recommending Keyhelp please?

@cybertech said: lightweight, fast, responsive panel
    Support either Alma/Rocky 8 or Debian 11
    Nginx
    up to date Php 8.1 with Phpredis
    up to date Mariadb 10.7
    one-click migration (nice to have)

Just looking into the current state of Virtualmin compatibility for you - Alma/Rocky look like they're getting fully supported soon (you could use a free RHEL license though instead). Nginx yes. PHP 8.1 & Mariadb 10.7 - not provided by their repos, they both come from the OS's repo unless you add a third-party one or you build yourself (there's the third party repos available for PHP at least which I mentioned above).

One issue that you're going to have with the panels that have a really small userbase is they can become abandonware quickly. Think VestaCP and before that zPanel. They all look great at one point, before development takes a dive off a cliff.

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • @cybertech said:

@vikram said:
    @cybertech checkout cloudpanel v2

does it have php8.0-redis, opcache etc?

https://www.cloudpanel.io/docs/v1/guides/php/opcache-preload

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • edited June 2022

@kaokao2222 said: @Falzo are you HestiaCP's forum moderator, right bro :3

Yeah he is, and this post on their forum is interesting:

Please do not post “reviews” or “comparisons” of other control panels or underlying stacks.
    Also postings for whatever SEO reasons are not welcome.

We are not interested in being a competitor to anyone. :wink:
    If you like HestiaCP and what we do - awesome! Still no reason to smear or discredit other peoples work.

Hestia is a fork of Vesta Control Panel like myVesta, and from the demo anyway (and just a quick read of the forum) it's extremely basic and bare-bones. The interface doesn't even run from its own webserver, it runs PHP from an NGINX server. That choice alone puts VestaCP and its forks, aaPanel and the other low-use panels into a lower class compared to the big boy panels. Plus it seems like Hestia is more of a hobby project from some former VestaCP users who want to persist with using it for their servers so forked it and make it public for other former VestaCP users?

• edited June 2022

@Aractus said:

@kaokao2222 said: @Falzo are you HestiaCP's forum moderator, right bro :3

Yeah he is, and this post on their forum is interesting:

Please do not post “reviews” or “comparisons” of other control panels or underlying stacks.
    Also postings for whatever SEO reasons are not welcome.

We are not interested in being a competitor to anyone. :wink:
    If you like HestiaCP and what we do - awesome! Still no reason to smear or discredit other peoples work.

the post you are referring to is from the few forum rules we have. so, just to put it into the right context, it means we do not want fight over panels in our forum there.

obviously this came into place after there were quite some posts from litespeed shilling crew and similar. the board is very small and only intended to offer a place for some community support, nothing more, nothing less. therefore no drama, seo or advertisement needed.

Hestia is a fork of Vesta Control Panel like myVesta, and from the demo anyway (and just a quick read of the forum) it's extremely basic and bare-bones. The interface doesn't even run from its own webserver, it runs PHP from an NGINX server.

yes and no. it runs on it's very own instance of nginx with it's own instance of php. that way it's safely seperated from the user websites and the web GUI can even be shutdown when not in use. if that's considered extremely basic, so be it ;-)

That choice alone puts VestaCP and its forks, aaPanel and the other low-use panels into a lower class compared to the big boy panels.

if you think so, that's totally fine and probably right. Hestia does not aim to be a competitor for any other panel. Every user should pick what's needed by their use case and not what someone promises to be ;-)

Plus it seems like Hestia is more of a hobby project from some former VestaCP users who want to persist with using it for their servers so forked it and make it public for other former VestaCP users?

yeah, I think that sums it up. we are glad to have a very engaged main dev spending what seems to be his entire spare time on it to keep it very maintained and evolve from old Vesta inheritance to a better code base, but obviously it's a lot and more likely a lifetime thing.

Vesta has been open source, so there is no reason to keep a fork not the same. that this lead to former VestaCP users switching ot it, is pretty normal I guess... however, we do not actively aim to grow our user base or whatever. indeed the people involved with Hestia do this, because they use it themselves and want to continue to do so (for various reasons). this obviously also means, the direction of its development will be driven by their needs first and not what any other user may wish for.

it often seems people fail at understanding, that Hestia and its team is not a company racing for any trophy in number of users/customers or whatever. it is not a product. it is a tool, free to use if you like it or to simply ignore if considered not the right one...

sorry for the wall of text, just hope this sheds some more light on the initial quote from our forum rules, it otherwise felt a bit misunderstandable ;-)

• @Falzo said:

@kaokao2222 said:
    @Falzo are you HestiaCP's forum moderator, right bro :3

yep, that'd be me ;-)

Thank you for helping me on resolving many issues on there 😄

Appreciate your effort, bro. I hope you have a nice day 😍

Thanked by (3)Falzo iandk Ympker
  • I like aaPanel.
    https://www.aapanel.com/

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • free:aapanel

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • I'm sitting on the fence on whether to drop aapanel (over privacy concerns) in favor of either full manual config or something like hestiacp, but one thing that's really nice about aapanel is its easy interface to add/remove components on-the-fly. HestiaCP can be customized after installation but requires figuring out which packages to install via command line.

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited June 2022

@fan said:
    I'm sitting on the fence on whether to drop aapanel (over privacy concerns) in favor of either full manual config or something like hestiacp, but one thing that's really nice about aapanel is its easy interface to add/remove components on-the-fly. HestiaCP can be customized after installation but requires figuring out which packages to install via command line.

me too. especially when aapanel is adding paid apps ad inside the panel, and their on-the-fly functions dont work as well as before. might as well learn the proper way to do it via hestiacp.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited June 2022

Good beginner level tutorial on Vestacp, Hestiacp should not be too different.

Edit: Start of video has some false starts. I believe this was one of the creator's (Tony Teaches Teach) earliest videos.

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • Nobody using Keyhelp anymore? I remember a while ago at otf this was one of the most recent named ones. Also Froxlor is a great option.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@webcraft said:
    Nobody using Keyhelp anymore? I remember a while ago at otf this was one of the most recent named ones. Also Froxlor is a great option.

Keyhelp is great. It's just shared hosting has become so cheap that you can easily get DA/cPanel/Plesk, which is usually preferred.

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • @Ympker said:
    Keyhelp is great. It's just shared hosting has become so cheap that you can easily get DA/cPanel/Plesk, which is usually preferred.

Ohh well, just read again the title and it says web panel and not webhosting panel. For webhosting I'd go with cPanel or DA (with Pro Pack only), too.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited June 2022

@webcraft said:
    Nobody using Keyhelp anymore? I remember a while ago at otf this was one of the most recent named ones. Also Froxlor is a great option.

Keyhelp is a great option if you want more advanced settings in the panel itself. it does not come with some reverse proxy mechanism but allows a really good handling of lots of users and their individual permissions. unless you're part of the anti apache blabla club, keyhelp is a really good choice.

PS: I think it wasn't mentioned here, because OP put nginx as a requirement, so there's that ;-)

Thanked by (3)Ympker cybertech webcraft