zoho Mail "Secure Mail" option

vyasvyas OG
edited June 2022 in Industry News

I noticed a new icon in the webmail interface for zoho mail**

they call it confidential email

https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/confidential-email.html

What's a SecurePass Email?

SecurePass Email can be used to send confidential information or data that is shared by email but shouldn't be forwarded, downloaded, or copied&pasted. A link protected by a SecurePass code will be forwarded to the recipients via email. The secure passcode will only be sent to the actual recipient's email address, and the recipient must enter the code to view the email's content, which cannot be forwarded, copied&pasted, printed, or downloaded. The SecurePass Email can be set to expire after a certain period of time, after which the recipient will no longer be able to access the link and thus the content in the email.

My (non-expert) feeling is that this is something similar to Tutanota/Protonmail - two "secure email" services that I have used.

Any thoughts? Experiences??

( we use the subscription service for our business, not sure if it is applicable for free tier.)

Comments

• Doesn’t sound like anything that or ProtonMail offer.

• So a pastebin

Thanked by (1)lapua
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

That sounds like a normal mail with a link to a password protected website in it to me

• Sounds a lot like standard email encryption technology like Microsoft has for outlook natively. ProtonMail can send password protected emails that the recipient needs to open via a url and enter the password to read. Tutanota is shit for free tier, needs to pay for even basic feature like searching through emails.

Why?

• edited June 2022

the email's content, which cannot be forwarded, copied&pasted, printed, or downloaded

Whether it can be screenshotted is notably left unmentioned

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • bulls***. confidential information or data is somewhere in the zoho-cloud. confidential information or data must be secured by pgp for example.

• @hinnz said: Whether it can be screenshotted is notably left unmentioned

They actually do address that on the website:

This, however, will not prevent the recipient or anyone else with access to the recipient's email from taking a screenshot or recording of the content or using malicious software to print/ download/ copy&paste the content.

So in the very next bullet point they (accurately) explain the uselessness of the service.

Thanked by (1)szymonp