3 VERY LIMITED "GET GOOD SLEEP" STORAGE PLANS FOR ALPHA TESTING

Comments

• 100GB for 4.5 is indeed expensive.

I mean, I pay 2 CAD for 100GB from google.

Thanked by (2)risharde Khalequzzaman

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• edited July 2022

@risharde said:
    I don't know how other providers could be charging so cheap without cutting corners or overselling (not that overselling is always bad).

Off the top of my head:

• Using DCs with cheap electricity
    • Owned (and not rented) hardware/IPs
    • Scale
    • Automation
    Thanked by (1)risharde

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• @chimichurri said:

@risharde said:
    I don't know how other providers could be charging so cheap without cutting corners or overselling (not that overselling is always bad).

Off the top of my head:

• Cheap electricity
    • Scale
    • Automation

Probably but I have a hard time believing cheap electricity drops it much further than OVH which is rather cheap already as is. Also what I think a lot of storage providers are doing (yes I'm guessing but hopefully intelligently) is adding HUGE amounts of disks to single servers - this allows a huge number of users but when things go wrong - they go wrong big - affecting a higher number of users when something goes wrong. It's the price one is willing to pay to have customers and how much one is willing to put their reputation on the line AND how much one is willing to handle the stress of users being angry (which they would rightfully be) when things go wrong.

I'm heading in the opposite direction IF I can avoid it. Worse case scenario is that its not a product people want (which would be saddening BUT understandable) but I'm hoping that's not the case and it's worth the sleep - it has been for me at least (and I have been price sensitive but again after some of the stuff I've experienced and read - the 4.50 is a hard sell but not when I compare it to my sleep and reduction in anxiety)

I agree with scale and automation for sure btw! Wasn't meant to be a refute to what you mentioned!

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• edited July 2022

@deank said:
    100GB for 4.5 is indeed expensive.

I mean, I pay 2 CAD for 100GB from google.

I'm aware - I can possibly drop that but I'd have to use the OS drives as well - not too comfortable with that option. Plus that would add another 15 users to the mix which I don't know I really want. Again, I really want to avoid people having issues and being mad with me - very few are going to say hey it's cheap and still not expect it to be up most of the time)

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• edited July 2022

I think OVH have checked all of these four boxes (in terms of electricity, esp. their cheapest offers i.e. Kimsufi are AFAIR located right next to the local power plant, hydro in Quebec and nuclear in France). And yes, I think a regular storage node has a lot of drives attached to it, example: https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=ot&search=1722930

I have to admit, I'm also skeptical overall. I don't really care about temperature data, and no offense, but just because you're using your real name and IRL picture doesn't mean I'd automatically trust you with my data any more than any of the established providers... whom BTW I don't trust 100% either - ideally, I try to go with the 3-2-1 rule of backup, or at the very least, to keep two redundant copies at separate locations/companies.

And with this being LES, price-wise, 4.50 a month is indeed a hard sell, lol, aside from some already sold out BF offers, other than the already mentioned Hetzner, here's another deal you'd be competing with: https://clients.servarica.com/store/black-friday-2021/polar-bear-storage-offer - 2TBs of RAIDed storage for 4 dollars a month (admittedly, paid yearly)

Sorry if I sound like a buzzkill, but given all what has been pointed out until now (mostly by others on p1), unless you find a unique selling point, I'd really think this through if I were you - I'm pretty sure that given your lack of reputation compared to the aforementioned likes of Hetzner, B2 and S3, as well as the hefty price tag, it won't turn out to be a product that people would want - ergo, I can't imagine you making any kind of decent money with this.. :'(

Thanked by (3)pikachu lentro jmaxwell

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• Well, it does not matter in the end

because the end is nigh anyway.

Thanked by (1)ralf

• @chimichurri said: I'm pretty sure that given your lack of reputation compared to the aforementioned likes of Hetzner, B2 and S3

Not to pile any further, but the angle OP has been pushing, namely that Google and Amazon are defrauding their customers by pulling off a cociu style basement host operation is honestly a bit much.

@risharde said: 4.50 is a hard sell

And not just for lowend folks. S3 and GCS has a lower price than your offering $0.023/GB, and I'm yet to hear about a single incident of objects being lost from these services.

@risharde said: Also what I think a lot of storage providers are doing (yes I'm guessing but hopefully intelligently) is adding HUGE amounts of disks to single servers

Object storage providers forego RAID as a concept entirely and directly implement Reed-Solomon on commodity hardware with all the distributed systems goodness (think Paxos, quorums etc.) to implement highly scalable storage systems.

• edited July 2022

I made pricing for my storage site with this setup.

1) RAID6
    2) Same data in 3 DC
    3) 2.5USD/100GB

With unlimited BW.

• I tell ya one thing.

The only storage I trust is my own that sits in my basement in a form of 1U in a rack which no longer has spindle drives anymore but two 2TB NvMe drives.

My 100GB google drive is a family drive they share stuff online.

• @stevewatson301 said: Not to pile any further, but the angle OP has been pushing, namely that Google and Amazon are defrauding their customers by pulling off a cociu style basement host operation is honestly a bit much.

That's not what I said and why are you continuously speaking about object storage? My intended service isn't to provide object storage nor be the next Google or Amazon - they work on massively different principles conceptually and even financially.

@image_host said:
    I made pricing for my storage site with this setup.

1) RAID6
    2) Same data in 3 DC
    3) 2.5USD/100GB

With unlimited BW.

Congrats to you, I wish you all the best!

[@chimichurri said] Sorry if I sound like a buzzkill

No worries, if it's not for you, it's not for you. If it's not for many, then it's not for many. If it's not for any, then it's not for any.
    Worst case scenario is I use it for myself. Would be nice if people saw an appreciation for such a service but if not, that's fine.

@deank said:
    I tell ya one thing.

The only storage I trust is my own that sits in my basement in a form of 1U in a rack which no longer has spindle drives anymore but two 2TB NvMe drives.

My 100GB google drive is a family drive they share stuff online.

I use Google Drive for critical data but I make backups but mounting Google Drive doesn't seem like a thing for me to do with my current applications which is another reason I began developing this plus I wanted to be in control of what was under the hood code wise.

Anyways, if I were to guess based on the comments - it's an awful idea for you guys so I'm gearing up to not have many customers but we'll see how it goes. I'm super happy that people were willing to test it out and give me feedback and also this has motivated me to work on all the rest of goodies.

• You can certainly do super premium storage. There is clearly a market segment there.
    But we are obviously the wrong crowd to talk about.

And, unlike super-duper cheap storage, you can't go on creating premium service and expect people to embrace you. You need a backing, a known entity, to vouch for you (translation: bribe).

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@stevewatson301 said: Object storage providers forego RAID as a concept entirely and directly implement Reed-Solomon on commodity hardware with all the distributed systems goodness (think Paxos, quorums etc.) to implement highly scalable storage systems.

Backblaze publishes how reliable they are very clearly, and it's probably more reliable than 2 machines: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/cloud-storage-durability/

They have 12 nines of durability and only claim 11 nines lmao

Not sure why ppl wouldn't just upload their archival storage to like 2 cloud services for like $10/TB/month in storage (e.g. Backblaze B2 + Storj) and call it a day.

• While I like your idea of coming up with unique features I'm not sure it will justify the cost to the customer at the end of the day. Only way I could think of making yourself stand out would be something like shared unmetered 10Gbps and storage fast enough to handle ingress/egress at those speeds. Unfortunately in the realm of cloud storage it's a constant race to the bottom, so starting the ball rolling will be really hard. I do wish you the best of luck, genuinely, and hope you find the customer base to make this a real thing as I love the idea of being transparent with regards to systems statistics. :)

Thanked by (1)risharde

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@risharde said: My intended service isn't to provide object storage

Can you elaborate a bit? If this is for long-term archival storage, don't the two kinda serve the same purpose?

@risharde said: it's an awful idea for you guys so I'm gearing up to not have many customers but we'll see how it goes

Don't listen to the haters! if the product is good, if you have a gut feeling that many people will use it, go for it. But I will share that when we launched TensorDock on LET/LES, we issued around $2.5k in credits, from the students to the startups. We got around $5 in real revenue I would guess. But it was the LET users who then told their friends, who then put it in Discord servers, that helped us grow in the long term. We also have our own sales that focuses on larger deals, so I'm not sure how much revenue is attributable to LET/LES, but I'd guess it's probably worth more than a few thousand dollars. Just have to not piss off too many people on this forum :)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin risharde
  • @lentro said:

@stevewatson301 said: Object storage providers forego RAID as a concept entirely and directly implement Reed-Solomon on commodity hardware with all the distributed systems goodness (think Paxos, quorums etc.) to implement highly scalable storage systems.

Backblaze publishes how reliable they are very clearly, and it's probably more reliable than 2 machines: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/cloud-storage-durability/

They have 12 nines of durability and only claim 11 nines lmao

Not sure why ppl wouldn't just upload their archival storage to like 2 cloud services for like $10/TB/month in storage (e.g. Backblaze B2 + Storj) and call it a day.

I use backblaze but not the block storage for backups - that leaves a lot to be desired BUT it's "unlimited" - mostly for some personal data that is also backed up to hard drives.

@CamoYoshi said:
    While I like your idea of coming up with unique features I'm not sure it will justify the cost to the customer at the end of the day. Only way I could think of making yourself stand out would be something like shared unmetered 10Gbps and storage fast enough to handle ingress/egress at those speeds. Unfortunately in the realm of cloud storage it's a constant race to the bottom, so starting the ball rolling will be really hard. I do wish you the best of luck, genuinely, and hope you find the customer base to make this a real thing as I love the idea of being transparent with regards to systems statistics. :)

Thanks, totally wish I could get 10G links, that would indeed hopefully make the intended deal more tempting! As for stats - there's much more important stats in the panel that I have not made public and indeed I think you grasped why I built it from a user perspective. I really hope I can get things to a release state just even to share it without having be secretive about the details - that's my next motivational factor!

• edited July 2022

@lentro said:

@risharde said: My intended service isn't to provide object storage

Can you elaborate a bit? If this is for long-term archival storage, don't the two kinda serve the same purpose?

@risharde said: it's an awful idea for you guys so I'm gearing up to not have many customers but we'll see how it goes

Don't listen to the haters! if the product is good, if you have a gut feeling that many people will use it, go for it. But I will share that when we launched TensorDock on LET/LES, we issued around $2.5k in credits, from the students to the startups. We got around $5 in real revenue I would guess. But it was the LET users who then told their friends, who then put it in Discord servers, that helped us grow in the long term. We also have our own sales that focuses on larger deals, so I'm not sure how much revenue is attributable to LET/LES, but I'd guess it's probably worth more than a few thousand dollars. Just have to not piss off too many people on this forum :)

Wow that's a great experience and super insightful! Super happy it worked out for you considering the investment you had to put out in those credits as well! Storage is definitely a saturated type of market AND also because storage can mean so many things. To answer your specific question - it's SFTP and yes I suppose it could act like object storage especially if you just consider object storage to be an extra layer of how the underlying storage is managed but I meant it wasn't intended for just backups. I'm assuming there's going to be a few folks who will mount it as a drive to extend their current servers and might want to use it a little more frequently for things other than backups.

The value added part of it would also mean the "public" section would be available to whomever the owner wants to share their data with. I plan to make it hopefully easy to get data in. Data being very loosely termed here.

• If people ask you to elaborate, it's doomed to fail.

That's my take on it.

• edited July 2022

It seems like there are several people in the thread who are determined to poke holes in your plan. You have been courteous and professional in your replies, which speaks well to your business comportment. You have stated that there will be value-added services and/or premiums, and that is fine -it seems to have frustrated the trolls to not have something further to assault. You do not have to divulge those details at this point (while you are starting with phase one). Good on you. Keep up the good work & the good attitude!

Thanked by (2)corbpie risharde
  • @hornet said:
    It seems like there are several people in the thread who are determined to poke holes in your plan. You have been courteous and professional in your replies, which speaks well to your business comportment. You have stated that there will be value-added services and/or premiums, and that is fine -it seems to have frustrated the trolls to not have something further to assault. You do not have to divulge those details at this point (while you are starting with phase one). Good on you. Keep up the good work & the good attitude!

Thank you for your response and for being positive and encouraging, I really do appreciate it! I'm no guru at life but I've had some experience with having to please individuals as I'm sure most everyone has and it can be good sometimes difficult other times - there's just so far one can go and I think life in general requires us to take an initial chance on someone whether it's just making friends or making business partners. I am not a businessman, a sales man etc, just a programmer who loves to build things I think might br useful and as clichéd as it sounds, the greatest happiness is when I can create something others can enjoy using and of course having done that for a while, I keep the expectations low so any, and I mean any positive feedback goes a very long way. With that being said, I know how I would like to be treated by a provider and that's what I will try to do as well for anyone who will use the service if it becomes a reality (unless there is abuse involved). I'm not passionately motivated by profits, I really want to solve a problem I had and maybe I will solve this problem for others AND try my best to keep my name in good standing. Let's hope I can patch any reason holes pointed out by all those who shared their views.

P.S I don't know if some of the posters were trolling me but I didn't feel like they were not to refute your insight regarding what was said. My affinity is to allow everyone (mentally speaking) the opportunity to share their views once it doesn't get personally disrespectful (without reason).

I look forward hopefully to share some of the new features in the near future - that will hint of a launch IF I and the current testers are good with it!

Thanks to everyone who shares their insight, they will continue to be deeply weighed as I make those next steps!

Thanked by (3)lentro pikachu chimichurri

• Don't trust me. You will thank naysayers later.

Thanked by (2)ralf pikachu

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited July 2022

Here's my 2 cents. I do believe that there is a (small) market for it, but as you said, it is indeed quite expensive for bulk storage since it's $45/TB.

Most other cloud storage providers provide far more redundancy, better connectivity, and are far more trustworthy for cheaper. I do get that transparency is your primary goal, but it's almost 5x more than the competition.

Also, 250 Mbps sounds a little low. If someone is trying to move large amounts of data, 250 Mbps can easily be saturated by any sort of VPS. Even 1 Gbps on the host nodes with a 250 Mbps cap per user would've probably be better.

You should probably be using a different provider for your backup server just in case OVH has a massive outage (it's happened before iirc) or OVH decides that you should no longer be a customer.

I do also have a couple of questions:
    1. Is this SSD storage or HDD?
    2. Is the failover to another server automatic?

No offense, these are just my thoughts 🙂 Sorry if some of these questions/concerns have appeared before, I briefly skimmed through your replies.

Thanked by (2)pikachu chimichurri

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• @hornet said:
    It seems like there are several people in the thread who are determined to poke holes in your plan.

Actually, as one of the "negative people" making comments, I actually think you would be better placed to listen to the negative opinions. When starting any endeavour, it's very easy for find people who will say it's great and much harder to find people to find the flaws in your thinking. If you have good responses to all the flaws people find, you probably have a good business proposition. If you don't, you'll probably find that none of the people who told you your plan was great will actually step forward and give you money when it actually comes down to it.

It'd be easy to see @deank's reply about naysayers as another trolling comment. But actually, this is probably the best advice you can get in business.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited July 2022

if OP can resolve most of constructive negative feedback then thats probably half the battle won.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @hornet said:
    It seems like there are several people in the thread who are determined to poke holes in your plan.

I definitely don't feel like I was negative in my response I posted - Just more concerned - I wouldn't want OP to launch something, not have it at least break even long term and lose money. I really do wish the best and wanted to at least make sure that he was aware of my own concerns about starting such a service.

Thanked by (2)lentro iandk

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• Negativity is what brings humanity forward, so I will keep being negative.

• @risharde said:
    being a customer of the storage plan would also add higher thresholds for the ONDDNS service. I also have a grid page project which is in alpha which I plan to bundle in as well. So you'd pay for storage but get access to 2 additional services (or maybe more if time allows it).

You definitely need to find more selling points because with $4.50/m for just 100GB you’re missing couple of zeros for the storage size or a few decimal points off with the price.

Why?

• For some odd reasons, your post and your signature are the perfect match for the post.

Thanked by (1)pikachu

• @chimichurri said:

@risharde said:

Off the top of my head:

• Using DCs with cheap electricity
    • Scale
    • Automation

plus they have 100 engineer's who makes ten times higher math, don't take it personal, but there is no way you can build an alternative to some hyper redundant already working products.

• Hello @risharde !

I hope you are doing well. I have read all of the answers, positive and negative, and I think I can add some thought, hopefully constructive.

First of all, I trust you more than all of the summerhosts ever lived combined. You were a part of the OGF since forever, and I can see you are being totally sincere. I'm assuming this project is aimed towards people with server admin skills, as the average [insert gender neutral name here] won't understand what IOWAIT is and why they should care.

The problem I'm seeing here is your perspective. The project sounds really cool, with the redundancy (albeit not perfect, being all OVH, but could be fixed in the future so it's OK) I'm sure it will make you sleep better, and I can see you (also me!) nerding over all the stats and node info. Thing is, it won't be the same for you and the end user, as for the end user, you will be just one provider. They won't have the same control you have, so I doubt they'll perceive the safety you're trying to achieve same as you. They think of you as just another provider, redundancy or not.

I'd like to talk about use cases, as to see where people will place your products in their minds. Some thought it as a backup solution but many people stated the obvious, you can't beat Amazon et al. on price or reliability. I think this is not a backup service. This is meant to be an online drive to mount and work on your stuff, both on your desktop and your Chromebook or something. That is my POV anyway. In this use case, spinning rust piped over 250Mbps shared is going to be rough, to say the least, which means you won't be able to beat Google's 100GB hot storage offer on price or speed. And the worst part, on redundancy. Yes, Google replicates your data, however specifics are not disclosed without an enterprise contract so we don't know how.

Storage hosting space, heck even hosting space, is extremely cutthroat, with thin margins. If you want the project to use yourself, share it with people to maybe subsidize some of the cost, and have fun while doing it, I say go for it. God knows I have spent days in front of a terminal just for fun. If you expect to be paid for your time spent, however, I'd suggest that time could be spent more productively.

I hope I don't come across as a hater too. I wish best of luck to you!

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin risharde
  • I sometimes have issues sleeping, how will this help?

Thanked by (2)bugrakoc flips