Feedback about this "Rise in Electrical Costs iHostART.Com Datacenter"

CalinCalin Hosting Provider
edited August 2022 in General

As you are aware with the spike in global/international rate of electricity which is affecting every business. The rate for electricity is fluctuating and rising by the day - 8 months ago we were roughly paying €0.14 cents per KWh, and now we are paying as high as €0.62 cents per KWh (continuing to increase).

In order to maintain our cheap packages and pricing, we are planning a node upgrade which will only affect storage related nodes for now. In the upcoming days you will receive an email with more details regarding this update and critical information regarding downtime so you can plan ahead.

We plan to apply for some ECO Projects as well as plan to replace our current supplier with an ECO friendly supplier. This should have gone into affect by the end of this month, however the bureaucracy has put a hold onto our project therefore adding a further delay of 3-4 months (or more).

Some of our ideas to reduce overall power consumption at our datacenter for not to increase the price:

• We plan to implement a few larger nodes for storage. At the moment we only have 48 TB per node but we will be upgrading our storage to 96 TB per node - therefore a decrease in the total amount of available nodes.

• We plan to cut down on CPUs by removing at least 1 CPU from 70% of our available nodes

• We plan to set all servers from Maximum Power Usage to save on power

We are quite upset and we can understand your concerns. This is not something that we want to do however to ensure that we can maintain our pricing and service quality, it is a step that we must take.

If you have any further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected] or discord Stapinu#0670

Kind regards,

Calin
iHostArt.com

I am waiting for your opinion on this idea, however we do not want to increase the pricesbut at the same time keep the same quality and the same price

Comments

• Cooling is the main waste of energy in hosting. Make it cool without electricity and you are "green" enough.

Thanked by (2)Calin Talistech
  • edited August 2022

@Calin said: We plan to set all servers from Maximum Power Usage to save on power.

I like this idea: switch to power saving mode though it should still ramp up performance, on demand.
    If folks would move away from expecting the latest/greatest/fastest, when likely barely used, then it would help overall, IMO. I'm still grieving the demise of my Unrealservers' exceptionally cheap Dual Xeon but its TDP is likely horrendous compared to today's processors (haven't checked).
    At least SSD & NVMe are power frugal, compared to spinning rust, though I wish $/GB would drop. ;)

Thanked by (1)Calin

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited August 2022

upgrade to ryzen

set up shop in finland

Thanked by (1)Calin

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Sign of things to come for more and more providers.
    I am
    Not a customer of your services @Calin but your plan of action makes sense.

Click for some silly unsolicited suggestions
    May I also suggest service credits to customers who “go slow” on the cpu hammering/ usage?

Say if median iops/cpu usage does not exceed “x” percentage, they get an extra month of credit etc. Not sure how that will work in hosting, but have worked with clubs, etc. that rely on subscription

This is indeed a great opportunity to get creative.

Best wishes

Thanked by (1)Calin

Squats are the new Push-ups

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider
    edited August 2022

Hello @legendary , water/liquid cooling it s very expensive for servers

@cybertech For now that's all we can do

@vyas For now, we only have this upgrade for the storage nodes, so it's not about performance

@AlwaysSkint yes ssd it s good choice but very expensive , about TDP my i m usage lot of E5-2450l

Thanks for all!

• It seems OP doing some "optimization" work by moving hardware and destroying customer data:

• CalinCalin Hosting Provider

Hello @legendary , our plan is certainly NOT to destroy the customer's data, if a customer has not had time to make a backup yet, they can notify us and we will wait until the backup is complete

Regards,
    Calin