Grammarly Premium - a decent AI "editor"

2»

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@legendary said:
    Is it grammarly not doing "a favor of bear"? I mean you have to less think about grammar your-self and rely on a tool. This effectively reduce your own ability to learn language nuances. Dangerous tool + expensive.

Good point.
    I think it depends on how you use it.
    In addition/related to what @HalfEatenPie wrote:

I set it to be disabled until I manually "turn it on." And I did end up not always using it. Relatively often, but not always.

When I run it, it makes me re-think any stuff that I got wrong (according to Grammarly, it often gets it wrong, especially the comma use), while not being too dumbing-down.

Still not 100% sure if I'll renew the subscription (my aim is to get so proficient that I no longer really need it). Will it make me dumber instead? Not really sure. For example, most of my spelling mistakes nowadays are because I missed a key, or it got "printed" twice by mistake (yes, I will look for a new keyboard :) ).

It definitely helps when I wish to polish any old articles. Shows me what to re-check and edit if I conclude the suggestions are good (10 per cent of the time, but when it gets it right, it gets it right! :) ). Also, as a non-native speaker, it keeps me properly stuck to one "English version," either British, or the US - no mixing. I think that's good.

I have provided some feedback to the developers. The most annoying thing is, when I open a half-finished article, it does all the checks and re-marks all the "mistakes" which I had previously told it to disregard. An option to one-click delete all the current suggestions would be very helpful - so it could just check any newly-added stuff.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• This isn't a plugin but one free alternative to Grammarly for LE* forums is @AlwaysSkint.

There's no auto-correct feature but you will be corrected if and when @AlwaysSkint picks it up and decides to.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

@TheDP said:
    This isn't a plugin but one free alternative to Grammarly for LE* forums is @AlwaysSkint.

There's no auto-correct feature but you will be corrected if and when @AlwaysSkint picks it up and decides to.

There's no replacement for a good editor!
    :)

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint TheDP

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Anybody tried Language Tools - seems to be self-hostable equivalent (though presumably inferior)

• edited August 2022

Fame at last! =)
    AlwaysGrammarly

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Logano

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @legendary said:
    Is it grammarly not doing "a favor of bear"? I mean you have to less think about grammar your-self and rely on a tool. This effectively reduce your own ability to learn language nuances. Dangerous tool + expensive.

First of all, if you are going to say this, don't make so many mistakes in your own grammar.

Other than that, not everyone is educated to a high level, grammar is a difficult skill for a lot of people. Grammarly should not be seen as a tool you use to ignore your own grammar mistakes. It should be used to identify regular occurrences and fix future instances. 100 errors this month, 50 next month, 25 the month after and so on. If you get to the stage where Grammarly is not revealing any or many errors maybe you don't need it anymore.

Around $50 per year is not expensive if you write a lot and grammar is not your best skill.

Thanked by (2)jarland pikachu
  • jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

I use Grammarly every now and then. An email announcement is a good place for it. Any time you want to say something which might be easily misinterpreted, it helps to get a second opinion.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Lee

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• edited August 2022

@jarland said: Any time you want to say something which might be easily misinterpreted, it helps to get a second opinion.

What d'ya mean by that, eh? :p /jk

Thanked by (1)jarland

• @Lee said: ther than that, not everyone is educated to a high level, grammar is a difficult skill for a lot of people. Grammarly should not be seen as a tool you use to ignore your own grammar mistakes. It should be used to identify regular occurrences and fix future instances. 100 errors this month, 50 next month, 25 the month after and so on. If you get to the stage where Grammarly is not revealing any or many errors maybe you don't need it anymore.

My Engineering PhD says I can still be terrible at writing.

I just good do complx mat.

@Lee said:

@legendary said:

First of all, if you are going to say this, don't make so many mistakes in your own grammar.

Other than that, not everyone is educated to a high level, grammar is a difficult skill for a lot of people. Grammarly should not be seen as a tool you use to ignore your own grammar mistakes. It should be used to identify regular occurrences and fix future instances. 100 errors this month, 50 next month, 25 the month after and so on. If you get to the stage where Grammarly is not revealing any or many errors maybe you don't need it anymore.

Around $50 per year is not expensive if you write a lot and grammar is not your best skill.

Or you come from east Texas and all y'all just can't understand what I'm sayin. But at least I have Waterburger so I've still got it better than a lot of yous, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin flips

• @jarland said:

@Lee said:

@legendary said:

Or you come from east Texas and all y'all just can't understand what I'm sayin. But at least I have Waterburger so I've still got it better than a lot of yous, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

Thanked by (1)jarland

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jarland said:

@Lee said:

@legendary said:

By far the single most accurate description of where I live.

• @jarland said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jarland said:

@Lee said:

@legendary said:

Which state within texas are you in @jarland ?

Thanked by (1)jarland
    edited August 2022

@Ryujin said:

@jarland said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jarland said:

@Lee said:

@legendary said:

Which state within texas are you in @jarland ?

Actually just a 30-40 minute trip up 59 and over on 80 (or 20 if you’re feeling lucky) from where that was shot, Carthage sucks though so it's been a while since I did anything other than drove past it 😂

All about them pine trees boys.

Thanked by (1)Ryujin

• @jarland said:

Actually just a 30-40 minute trip up 59 and over on 80 (or 20 if you’re feeling lucky) from where that was shot, Carthage sucks though so it's been a while since I did anything other than drove past it 😂

All about them pine trees boys.

Oh how I love the People's Republic of Austin.

And also Dallas, Texas.

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • edited August 2022

@Lee said:

@legendary said:

Would you like experience freebsd style forum where you given warnings from mods when you make to much misstakes writing? :D

English language has an advantage: you can make misstakes, the others will still understand the concept of what you are saying.

Use of grammarly is not good for learning people. No discussions here. Read books in english, that's all you need. Free.

@legendary said:

@Lee said:

@legendary said:

Would you like experience freebsd style forum where you given warnings from mods when you make to much misstakes writing? :D

English language has an advantage: you can make misstakes, the others will still understand the concept of what you are saying.

Use of grammarly is not good for learning people. No discussions here. Read books in english, that's all you need. Free.

I studied English activelly, since 9 years old, for over a decade.
    Music, films, and a ton of books (and other texts) in English - always.

Still, my every written article has parts that need editing, and I often can't figure it out myself.
    And I find Grammarly's suggestions to be helpful at least with a few sentences per article (and I like to think those examples help me learn).

Of course, I may just be suprisingly stupid - one doesn't realize when they are, usually. :)

• @legendary said: Use of grammarly is not good for learning people. No discussions here. Read books in english, that's all you need. Free.

Reading a book shows you, it does not teach you why. But carry on.

@Lee said:

@legendary said: Use of grammarly is not good for learning people. No discussions here. Read books in english, that's all you need. Free.

I think it can be said that reading books can help a lot.
    Even with one's native language improvement.

Though active learning does help tremendously, no doubt about that.

• it surprised me that many native english speakers here still need this kind of tools to help them writing for letters or even just a forum post..

i thought you all get grammar lessons since kindergarten, mastering it when you grow up, then can easily become an english teacher such in asian/african/latino country :p

• edited August 2022

@ElonBezos said: .. still need this these kind of tools ..

Plus

@ElonBezos said: i thought [that] you all get grammar lessons since kindergarten, mastering it when you grow up, then can easily become an [E]nglish teacher such in [A]sian/[A]frican/[L]atino country countries.

TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) doesn't need a high education attainment level. ;) Few 'master' English (self included) and it's a continual learning process.

Thanked by (3)Lee bikegremlin ElonBezos

• LeeLee OG
    edited August 2022

Like most things, all languages are rules-based.

Why did I just hyphenate rules-based? Why am I capitalising the letter i? How do I choose from there, their, they're or they are?

If you don't know the rules, reading a book won't improve grammar, it will simply increase the incorrect application of the rules when you write. If you come across a word in a book that is unfamiliar there is no benefit in having read it in a book to not then take the time to understand what it means. This is why I prefer to read books on Kindle these days, it makes it easy to get a definition.

@legendary said: English language has an advantage: you can make misstakes, the others will still understand the concept of what you are saying.

Laziness the world over is the core issue. You are correct in that proper application of the rules does not mean you won't be understood, this thread certainly proves that and forum threads in general. That is fine, although it is not the point. If someone wants to improve their grammar there are tools to assist, so let them, you don't have to use them.

Again, nothing wrong with using Grammarly, it teaches and gives you guidance whilst you write and you continue learning, which is a lifelong process.

What surprises me (not really) is that the critics of this type of tool are often the ones that need it most instead of telling others why they shouldn't use it.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • edited August 2022

@Lee said: Laziness the World over is the core issue.

Never a truer phrase.
    World capitalised? (Usually gets me that one ;) )

Thanked by (1)Lee

• @bikegremlin said:

@Lee said:

@legendary said: Use of Grammarly is not good for learning people. No discussions here. Read books in English, that's all you need. Free.

My friend came over from Pakistan, for approx 3 years - he was one of the best English speakers in his school and didn't even scratch the surface of understanding the language, he said he learnt more in his first few weeks when I'd make him watch football and talk to girls than all his formal education.

We spoke about 2/3 weeks ago, he said he still has nightmares about the time he asked me how to greet multiple women at once, our mutual friend interjected with oh just ask "What's happening hoes" I still remember him walking off, then being stood there getting shouted at and looking bewildered 😄

Apparently, though he found watching a tv show twice - once in English and then in Urdu and English subtitles to get the bits he missed reinforced his English skills if that's any benefit to anyone here struggling with certain aspects of it

• @AlwaysSkint said: World capitalised? (Usually gets me that one )

Accepted :)

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

@chris said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Lee said:

@legendary said: Use of Grammarly is not good for learning people. No discussions here. Read books in English, that's all you need. Free.

We spoke about 2/3 weeks ago, he said he still has nightmares about the time he asked me how to greet multiple women at once, our mutual friend interjected with oh just ask "What's happening hoes"

Ahahahah :)

Where I live, there's a significant Hungarian minority.
    And I've always considered it a point of respect to learn the language.
    It's one of the most difficult languages to learn, and Hungarians seem to highly appreciate it if you speak it, even if it's very poorly.

Now, the words for "cheers," and "over your arse," sound very similarly.
    One of my favourite pranks, especially for any official happenings, is to mispronounce it. :)
    (I know, I'll never grow up)

• @bikegremlin said:

@chris said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Lee said:

We spoke about 2/3 weeks ago, he said he still has nightmares about the time he asked me how to greet multiple women at once, our mutual friend interjected with oh just ask "What's happening hoes"

Ahahahah :)

Where I live, there's a significant Hungarian minority.
    And I've always considered it a point of respect to learn the language.
    It's one of the most difficult languages to learn, and Hungarians seem to highly appreciate it if you speak it, even if it's very poorly.

Now, the words for "cheers," and "over your arse," sound very similarly.
    One of my favourite pranks, especially for any official happenings, is to mispronounce it. :)
    (I know, I'll never grow up)

Haha, Yes if I interact with someone regularly in person that isn't a native English speaker I try to at least know a greeting in their language! Same with travelling, I like to know I can at least hold a somewhat basic conversation with the people there!

• @chris said: I try to at least know a greeting in their language

Hi!
    :D