MetalVPS Fedora Rawhide Shell Accounts, VPSes, Containers, And Chroots!

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Friendly greetings! 🌎🌍

MetalVPS Fedora Rawhide Shell Accounts, VPSes, Containers, And Chroots!

MetalVPS gives you a traditional shell account on Radium, our new Fedora Rawhide server at Hetzner FSN1 in Germany. You can use Radium in any awesome way you want. You can work directly in your shell, and you can install your own NAT IPv4 and IPv6 VPSes, containers, or chroots. KVM access and sudo are available.

With a traditional shell account you can see how many neighbors are using the server, some of what they are doing, how hard the server is working, and exactly what software is installed. No worries about overselling! No worries about VPS hypervisor overhead! No worries about old hypervisor versions and old operating system versions!

Rawhide is especially nice for educational, non-production use. Rawhide compiles and distributes kernels right out of Linus Torvalds' Git sources. Most other software in Rawhide's packaging system also tends to be newer, sometimes much newer, than what is packaged in the downstream releases.

Here, from the command line, you can see some of Radium's specifications.

[not_oles@radium ~]$ date -u
Thu Sep 28 06:16:30 PM UTC 2023
[not_oles@radium ~]$ uname -r # Running recent Linux kernel from Git!
6.6.0-0.rc3.20230927git0e945134b680.28.fc40.x86_64
[not_oles@radium ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release 
Fedora release 40 (Rawhide)
[not_oles@radium ~]$ lscpu | grep "Model name" 
Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v5 @ 3.60GHz # Geekbench 6 Single Core Score 1419!
[not_oles@radium ~]$ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            62Gi       871Mi        61Gi       864Ki       316Mi        61Gi # Radium has 64 GB RAM!
Swap:          8.0Gi          0B       8.0Gi
[not_oles@radium ~]$ sudo dmidecode | grep DDR
        Type: DDR4
        Type: DDR4 # All four RAM memory modules are DDR4!
[not_oles@radium ~]$ sudo dmidecode | grep Width | grep -v Partition
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Total Width: 72 bits # All four RAM memory modules are ECC!
[not_oles@radium ~]$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md127      741G   21G  683G   3% / # RAID 0 for faster NVMe performance!
  [ . . . ]
/dev/nvme1n1p2   98G   24K   93G   1% /altroot0 # Empty partition ready for chroot fun! 
  [ . . . ]
/dev/nvme0n1p2   98G   24K   93G   1% /altroot1 # Another empty partition ready for chroot fun!
  [ . . . ]
[not_oles@radium ~]$

What's New On Radium?

• Newly installed dnf package groups "C Development Tools and Libraries", "Development Tools", and "Development Libraries"!

• Locally compiled Python from Github!

[not_oles@radium ~]$ which python # Locally compiled is the default.
/usr/local/bin/python
[not_oles@radium ~]$ python -V # Locally compiled python is version 3.13.0a0.
Python 3.13.0a0
[not_oles@radium ~]$ /usr/bin/python -V # Version 3.12.0rc3 was installed by Rawhide's package manager.
Python 3.12.0rc3
[not_oles@radium ~]$ 

Warnings!

• Clueless™ administrator with no technical background and with "limited technical skills. . . ." 😀 @Not_Oles frequently messes up! 😱

• @Not_Oles is especially clueless™ about Debian, Fedora, and all other OSes. 🤗

• Sometimes trusted MetalVPSians might or might not get sudo. 🙈🙉🙊

• MetalVPS has no billing panel and no server control panel. It's all command line via ssh until you install the GUI that you want. 🆕

• MetalVPS has no onboarding and no knowledge base. ♒︎

• Account delivery might take awhile! 😴

• Intended especially for computer learning and fun! 🤑

• Daily or sometimes even more frequent maintenance reboots are guaranteed! 🌺

• Please make your own redundant, offsite backups! It's easy to download or sync or clone your backup to a safe place. Please also make sure that you actually can restore from your backups! Please think of your MetalVPS account as ephemeral! Your server might blow up! 💥 At any random second @Not_Oles or maybe you might reinstall the Node! 🤦‍♂️

• Other MetalVPSians can see your account name, some of the processes you are running, and much other information. So, please do not put confidential information on the server. 🤔

• MetalVPS Neighbors are expected both to monitor and to contribute to this thread. 🍔

Terms Of Service

• Be awesome!
  • White Hat only!
  • Radium is not for business use!
  • Radium is intended for education and fun!
  • 100% open source software only!
  • Hetzner TOS also applies!

Equipment Cost And Ownership

• Rent paid to Hetzner for Radium is €26.70 per month (VAT inapplicable outside of the EU). That's approximately US$28.34 per month.

Pricing

• Radium shell account + VPS: US$7.00 per month, recurring if continued, but no commitment to continue.

• Dedicated, bare metal servers: Custom per server pricing. Can be fully managed, unmanaged, or anything in between.

• MetalVPS might give free accounts to those in need. So, please don't hesitate to ask.

Payment

• Payment methods are available in US dollars via Zelle or via Paypal (and maybe also via Stripe). Maybe we could figure out an additional payment method if there is some other way you want to pay.

• No payment is due until your shell account is set up and you are 100% satisfied.

How To Sign Up

• Please post here in this thread. Please include your ed25519 ssh public key.

More About MetalVPS!

What People Are Saying

• About MetalVPS

"MetalVPS . . . seems to have endless servers."

@crunchbits: MetalVPS "is literally the best deal in town."

"@Not_Oles . . . thank you for providing machine for me to help me finish all the tests."

"I really enjoyed MetalVPS . . . I hope more people can learn together using MetalVPS."

"非常感谢Not_Oles分享免费的MetalVPS为大家使用!" "Big thanks to Not_Oles for sharing his MetalVPS for people to use!"

". . . [V]ery cool that MetalVPS is still a thing :) Thanks for providing this to the community, tinkering with servers is fun and a learning experience!"

"The permanent free shell account of MetalVPS is very fun!" ("MetalVPS的永久免费shell账号挺好玩的")

"This is really really cool."

"I enjoyed the section of the OP dedicated to complementary comments, including helpful links so they can be verified."

"MetalVPS used to be a high end provider, but it's becoming a sorority now."

"fun stuff indeed, appreciating the comfortable computing experience!"

"Liking my darkstar"

"Nice trial and results! Very interesting :)"

Metalvps recommended on OGF 🙈

"It just crossed my mind that I've been using your server for over half a year! It's been an amazing experience! . . . Your services deserve much more attention. <3"

"Wow pretty nice ! Congrats excellent options thanks for being a part of the community"

"the terms seemed exceptionally fair"

"Kernel Linux 5.11 is now in much better shape for AMD <3"

"Yes, please. I’ll take that."

"it's really quite dedicated. not all dedicated are the same."

"MetalVPS-AX101 has a reasonable price"

"really need a testing ground badly now especially with dedicated core"

"the fastest VPS I ever used"

"I've been using this one from him. Highly recommend! His support is really amazing!"

"10/10 metalvps recommended"

"very powerful"

"premium stuff"

"Grab it while the hotel still has vacant rooms."

". . . very passionate and enthusiastic about everything. Not all businesses are made this way and it's very easy to see when you interact with them. You are giving the right impression with this industry and it's wonderful to see."

"I think MetalVPS is designed in between a dedicated and a regular VPS. Some use case cannot fill the capacity of a dedicated but need more CPU than a regular VPS, and it makes sense to use MetalVPS in such situation."

• About Not_Oles

"@Not_Oles . . . is doing all kinds of interesting work and sharing it with others"

"Hi Tom <3"

"Tom, you're the best :)"

"I found it interesting that Tom still treats his free vps members like humans (it's really admirable). . . ."

"@Not_Oles is really a funfull and helpful grandpa!!"

"especially thanks @Not_Oles , He pointed out my problems and told me the correct way to share. He is a good guy."

"I'm not in need for any free vps at the moment, but thanks for what you're doing. If I had this chance few years ago, I think my life would be different."

"I did want to thank @Not_Oles for always being so friendly. Makes me smile seeing how nice you are to everyone here."

"You are a great person."

"Possibly the most polite and enthusiastic personality in the entire LE* world with a genuine interest that runs so deep he even set up a business exclusively catering for LES. as a regular content writer for LES his articles frequently top the charts in terms of most viewed (according to google)"

"Really, you're the best person I've known on the internet."

"we've found that good, in-depth technical articles tend to drive user interaction and new sign-ups on the forum. @Not_Oles's Proxmox articles are evidence of this."

"It was a pleasure for me to collaborate with Tom, he really knows what he's doing :)"

"Thanks again to @Not_Oles for valiant testing."

"you've brought a smile on my face countless times "

"Good luck with your new project! :D Happy to have you around here!"

"I always love how you come up with new ideas :D Good luck, mate!

"May you continue to learn and inspire others."

"he is a great guy!"

"he is the sweetest guy in LES .."

"Everybody loves @Not_Oles! <3"

"resplendent as the Sonoran Sun"

"god bless not_oles ^^"

"every time I visit les and see that profile picture, it brightens up my day."

Thanks!

Tom gets a lot of help from the friendly MetalVPSians and from many other friends. <3

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Tagged:

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Yabs from August 30, 2023.

[not_oles@rawhide ~]$ curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2023-04-23                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed Aug 30 02:12:22 AM UTC 2023

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 6 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v5 @ 3.60GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 3600.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 62.6 GiB
    Swap       : 8.0 GiB
    Disk       : 936.5 GiB
    Distro     : Fedora Linux 40 (Rawhide Prerelease)
    Kernel     : 6.5.0-57.fc40.x86_64
    VM Type    : NONE
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : Hetzner Online GmbH
    ASN        : AS24940 Hetzner Online GmbH
    Location   : Falkenstein, Saxony (SN)
    Country    : Germany

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 463.66 MB/s (115.9k) | 1.18 GB/s    (18.4k)
    Write      | 464.89 MB/s (116.2k) | 1.18 GB/s    (18.5k)
    Total      | 928.55 MB/s (232.1k) | 2.36 GB/s    (36.9k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 1.28 GB/s     (2.5k) | 1.13 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Write      | 1.35 GB/s     (2.6k) | 1.20 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Total      | 2.63 GB/s     (5.1k) | 2.34 GB/s     (2.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 182 Mbits/sec   | 495 Mbits/sec   | 19.9 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 925 Mbits/sec   | 920 Mbits/sec   | 21.3 ms        
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 931 Mbits/sec   | 936 Mbits/sec   | 12.1 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 882 Mbits/sec   | 644 Mbits/sec   | 93.5 ms        
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 46.7 Mbits/sec  | 92.8 Mbits/sec  | 85.4 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 30.6 Mbits/sec  | busy            | 129 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 25.9 Mbits/sec  | 39.5 Mbits/sec  | 154 ms        

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 168 Mbits/sec   | 309 Mbits/sec   | 19.9 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 913 Mbits/sec   | 921 Mbits/sec   | 21.7 ms        
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | busy            | 12.1 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 655 Mbits/sec   | 93.6 ms        
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 46.0 Mbits/sec  | 74.1 Mbits/sec  | 85.3 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 31.1 Mbits/sec  | 42.5 Mbits/sec  | 124 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 25.9 Mbits/sec  | 34.6 Mbits/sec  | 154 ms     

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1419                          
    Multi Core      | 4692                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/2434899

YABS completed in 13 min 13 sec
    [not_oles@rawhide ~]$ 

edited September 2023

network-speed.xyz from August 29, 2023

---------------------------- network-speed.xyz ----------------------------
          A simple script to test network performance using speedtest-cli      
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Version            : v2023.08.28
     Global Speedtest   : wget -qO- network-speed.xyz | bash
     Region Speedtest   : wget -qO- network-speed.xyz | bash -s -- -r <region>
     Basic System Info
     CPU Model          : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v5 @ 3.60GHz
     CPU Cores          : 8 @ 2099.999 MHz
     CPU Cache          : 8192 KB
     AES-NI             : ✔ Enabled
     VM-x/AMD-V         : ✔ Enabled
     Total Disk         : 936.5 GB (2.9 GB Used)
     Total RAM          : 62.6 GB (876.3 MB Used)
     Total Swap         : 8.0 GB (0 Used)
     System uptime      : 0 days, 10 hour 13 min
     Load average       : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
     OS                 : Fedora release 40 (Rawhide)
     Arch               : x86_64 (64 Bit)
     Kernel             : 6.5.0-57.fc40.x86_64
     Virtualization     : NONE
     Basic Network Info
     Primary Network    : IPv4
     ISP                : Hetzner Online GmbH
     ASN                : AS24940 Hetzner Online GmbH
     Host               : Hetzner
     Location           : Falkenstein, Saxony-SN, Germany
     Speedtest.net (Region: GLOBAL)
     Location         Latency     Loss    DL Speed       UP Speed       Server     

ISP: Hetzner Online 

Nearest          8.19 ms     0.0%    941.19 Mbps    933.53 Mbps    Netcom Kassel Gesellschaft für Telekommunikation mbH - Kassel 

Kochi, IN        159.73 ms   0.0%    721.27 Mbps    554.10 Mbps    Asianet Broadband - Cochin 
     Bangalore, IN    132.91 ms   0.0%    911.80 Mbps    504.34 Mbps    Bharti Airtel Ltd - Bangalore 
     Chennai, IN      149.52 ms   N/A     702.13 Mbps    580.14 Mbps    Jio - Chennai 
     Mumbai, IN       129.51 ms   0.0%    848.48 Mbps    659.42 Mbps    i3D.net - Mumbai 
     Delhi, IN        148.31 ms   0.0%    610.54 Mbps    599.35 Mbps    Tata Teleservices Ltd - New Delhi 

Seattle, US      177.80 ms   0.0%    840.28 Mbps    509.46 Mbps    DediPath - Seattle, WA 
     Los Angeles, US  152.30 ms   0.0%    700.96 Mbps    426.14 Mbps    ReliableSite Hosting - Los Angeles, CA 
     Dallas, US       119.13 ms   0.0%    766.23 Mbps    705.90 Mbps    Hivelocity - Dallas, TX 
     Miami, US        130.34 ms   0.0%    898.79 Mbps    660.82 Mbps    AT&T - Miami, FL 
     New York, US     85.19 ms    0.0%    963.95 Mbps    904.54 Mbps    GSL Networks - New York, NY 
     Toronto, CA      106.87 ms   0.0%    876.33 Mbps    783.18 Mbps    Rogers - Toronto, ON 

London, UK       23.91 ms    0.0%    948.88 Mbps    933.27 Mbps    VeloxServ Communications - London 
     Amsterdam, NL    11.63 ms    0.0%    942.32 Mbps    934.38 Mbps    Clouvider Ltd - Amsterdam 
     Paris, FR        24.31 ms    N/A     950.76 Mbps    934.40 Mbps    Axione - Paris 
     Frankfurt, DE    5.64 ms     0.0%    941.57 Mbps    933.25 Mbps    23M GmbH - Frankfurt am Main 
     Warsaw, PL       43.74 ms    0.0%    943.09 Mbps    914.66 Mbps    UPC Polska - Warszawa 
     Bucharest, RO    32.23 ms    0.0%    942.85 Mbps    921.50 Mbps    Vodafone Romania Fixed – Bucharest - Bucharest 

Jeddah, KSA      66.45 ms    0.0%    941.61 Mbps    926.40 Mbps    Saudi Telecom Company 
     Dubai, AE        129.46 ms   0.0%    893.28 Mbps    670.48 Mbps    du - Dubai  
     Fujairah, AE     113.83 ms   0.0%    960.00 Mbps    735.78 Mbps    ETISALAT-UAE - Fujairah 

Tokyo, JP        247.20 ms   N/A     649.30 Mbps    283.63 Mbps    fdcservers.net - Tokyo 
     Shenyang, CU-CN  367.36 ms   22.3%   65.95 Mbps     0.34 Mbps      Unicom - Shenyang 
     Nanjing, CT-CN   235.37 ms   10.1%   474.83 Mbps    1.00 Mbps      China Telecom JiangSu 5G - Nanjing 
     Hong Kong, HKG   157.00 ms   N/A     879.75 Mbps    564.06 Mbps    STC - Hong Kong 
     Singapore, SG    164.67 ms   0.0%    532.97 Mbps    554.58 Mbps    i3D.net - Singapore 
     Jakarta, ID      177.79 ms   0.0%    634.67 Mbps    321.24 Mbps    PT. Telekomunikasi Indonesia - Jakarta 
     Avg DL Speed       : 795.70 Mbps
     Avg UL Speed       : 646.29 Mbps

Total DL Data      : 29.74 GB
     Total UL Data      : 23.58 GB
     Total Data         : 53.33 GB
     Duration           : 13 min 8 sec
     System Time        : 29/08/2023 - 04:44:39 UTC
     Unable to share result online - There is some issue with the online uploader.
     Result stored locally in /home/not_oles/network-speed.txt
    [not_oles@e3 ~]$ 

• omg, Fedora.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• omg, DNF Didn't Find it

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

@jab, @yoursunny

For me, it's fun to try viewing the world from different perspectives from time to time. :)

Thanked by (1)FrankZ