Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
edited May 2023 in Free Offers and Stuff

Friendly greetings to all! 🌎🌍

What's New At MetalVPS?

• MetalVPS seems to have a new EX101 Node running on an Intel i9-13900 processor at Hetzner's Falkenstein Datacenter in Germany.

• You can create your own chroots, LXC containers, KVM VPSes, and much more from your traditional, command line shell account!

• All Node resources are available for fair use.

Node Specs

root@fsn ~ # date
Mon Apr 10 01:19:20 AM UTC 2023
root@fsn ~ # cat /etc/debian_version 
root@fsn ~ # lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  32
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-31
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  BIOS Vendor ID:        Intel(R) Corporation
  Model name:            13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900
[ . . . ]
root@fsn ~ # free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            62Gi       936Mi        61Gi       1.1Mi       545Mi        61Gi
Swap:           31Gi          0B        31Gi
root@fsn ~ # df -h . /altroot
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md4        3.4T  1.9G  3.2T   1% /
/dev/md3         98G   24K   93G   1% /altroot
root@fsn ~ # gcc --version
gcc (Debian 12.2.0-14) 12.2.0
Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

root@fsn ~ # 

Network Specs

• 1 Gbps unlimited, fair use

• 1 x IPv4

• 1 x IPv6/64

More About The Hardware

Who

• MetalVPS is a project of @Not_Oles a/k/a Tom Miller a/k/a the clueless™ guy.

Why

• Why not? It's fun to play with and learn about servers, operating systems, and the internet. :)

• @Not_Oles uses very little of his MetalVPS servers' capacity. It's better to offer the extra capacity to others than to waste it.

Open Source

• Thank you for using open source software <3 at MetalVPS!

Congrats!

These congrats are transferred from MetalVPS' wonderful, now-decommissioned Fremont Node. More congrats will be added as people begin to use the new Node.

Warnings!

• Clueless™ administrator! 😀 @Not_Oles frequently messes up! 😱

• @Not_Oles is especially clueless™ about Debian since he is a Debian noob. 🤗

• Hey! This Node runs Debian sid unstable! 🤩 And, it's RAID 0! 😭

• Sometimes trusted MetalVPSians might or might not get sudo. 🙈🙉🙊

• MetalVPS has no billing panel and no server control panel. It's all command line until you install the GUI that you want. 🆕

• MetalVPS has no onboarding and no knowledge base. ♒︎ If you want to make an LXC or KVM VPS, please be willing to research about how to do it on the command line.

• Account delivery might take awhile! 😴

• Accounts subject to cancellation at any time without advance notice! 💥

• No warranty, to the extent permitted by applicable law. No service level agreement. Not for business use. Intended especially for computer learning and fun! 🤑

• White Hat stuff only, please! No copyright violations, please. 👍

• @Not_Oles tries to keep the system updated. Frequent maintenance reboots are guaranteed! 🌺

• Please make your own redundant, offsite backups! It's easy to download or sync or clone your backup to a safe place. Please also make sure that you actually can restore from your backups! Please think of your MetalVPS account as ephemeral! It might blow up! We or you might reinstall the Node! 🤦‍♂️

• MetalVPS.com is not a project of lowendspirit.com, lowendtalk.com, hetzner.com, or freevps.org. 👨‍💻​

• Other MetalVPSians can see your account name, some of the processes you are running, and much other information. So, please do not put confidential information on the server. 🤔

Installed Stuff

• We're just beginning on this Node.

• So far, gcc, git, lxc, qemu-kvm, zsh, and more are installed. Additional configuration is required, but MetalVPSians should be able to compile, to create unprivileged LXC containers, and to create KVM virtual machines.

• Possibilities include installing Go, Plan9port, Docker and Nix. Plus code-server, oksh, Xv6, plan9port, LAMP stack. Plus more. If you want something, please let us know! :)

How To Sign Up

• Please post in this thread. Only if necessary, please PM @Not_Oles or use the email on @Not_Oles profile.

• If you have a new LES account, please introduce yourself in your post. Please tell us what you plan to do with your MetalVPS account. Please include your ed25519 ssh public key.

Support

• Please post in this thread. Only if necessary, PM or use the email on @Not_Oles profile.

• Additional communication channels might be available via Signal App, Discord, Jitsi, etc.

What People Are Saying

• About MetalVPS

". . . [V]ery cool that MetalVPS is still a thing :) Thanks for providing this to the community, tinkering with servers is fun and a learning experience!"

"The permanent free shell account of MetalVPS is very fun!" ("MetalVPS的永久免费shell账号挺好玩的")

"This is really really cool."

"I enjoyed the section of the OP dedicated to complementary comments, including helpful links so they can be verified."

"MetalVPS used to be a high end provider, but it's becoming a sorority now."

"fun stuff indeed, appreciating the comfortable computing experience!"

"Liking my darkstar"

"Nice trial and results! Very interesting :)"

Metalvps recommended on OGF 🙈

"It just crossed my mind that I've been using your server for over half a year! It's been an amazing experience! . . . Your services deserve much more attention. <3"

"Wow pretty nice ! Congrats excellent options thanks for being a part of the community"

"the terms seemed exceptionally fair"

"Kernel Linux 5.11 is now in much better shape for AMD <3"

"Yes, please. I’ll take that."

"it's really quite dedicated. not all dedicated are the same."

"MetalVPS-AX101 has a reasonable price"

"really need a testing ground badly now especially with dedicated core"

"the fastest VPS I ever used"

"I've been using this one from him. Highly recommend! His support is really amazing!"

"10/10 metalvps recommended"

"very powerful"

"premium stuff"

"Grab it while the hotel still has vacant rooms."

". . . very passionate and enthusiastic about everything. Not all businesses are made this way and it's very easy to see when you interact with them. You are giving the right impression with this industry and it's wonderful to see."

"I think MetalVPS is designed in between a dedicated and a regular VPS. Some use case cannot fill the capacity of a dedicated but need more CPU than a regular VPS, and it makes sense to use MetalVPS in such situation."

• About Not_Oles

"@Not_Oles is really a funfull and helpful grandpa!!"

"especially thanks @Not_Oles , He pointed out my problems and told me the correct way to share. He is a good guy."

"I'm not in need for any free vps at the moment, but thanks for what you're doing. If I had this chance few years ago, I think my life would be different."

"I did want to thank @Not_Oles for always being so friendly. Makes me smile seeing how nice you are to everyone here."

"You are a great person."

"Possibly the most polite and enthusiastic personality in the entire LE* world with a genuine interest that runs so deep he even set up a business exclusively catering for LES. as a regular content writer for LES his articles frequently top the charts in terms of most viewed (according to google)"

"Really, you're the best person I've known on the internet."

"we've found that good, in-depth technical articles tend to drive user interaction and new sign-ups on the forum. @Not_Oles's Proxmox articles are evidence of this."

"It was a pleasure for me to collaborate with Tom, he really knows what he's doing :)"

"Thanks again to @Not_Oles for valiant testing."

"you've brought a smile on my face countless times "

"Good luck with your new project! :D Happy to have you around here!"

"I always love how you come up with new ideas :D Good luck, mate!

"May you continue to learn and inspire others."

"he is a great guy!"

"he is the sweetest guy in LES .."

"Everybody loves @Not_Oles! <3"

"resplendent as the Sonoran Sun"

"god bless not_oles ^^"

"every time I visit les and see that profile picture, it brightens up my day."

"As for the new administrator, I nominate @Not_Oles."

"I would love to see @Not_Oles as a moderator or a bigger role."

"I would also support @Not_Oles as admin :)"

"He has limited technical skills, so that he's resorting to drama summaries[.]"

Thanks

Tom gets a lot of help from the friendly MetalVPSians and from many other friends.

Thanks again and best wishes! 🇺🇸🗽🇲🇽🇫🇮🇩🇪🏜️

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Thanked by (2)Ganonk Ympker
Tagged:

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    root@fsn ~ # curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2023-03-24                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Mon Apr 10 05:05:10 AM UTC 2023

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 1 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes
    Processor  : 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900
    CPU cores  : 32 @ 2000.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 62.6 GiB
    Swap       : 32.0 GiB
    Disk       : 3.4 TiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
    Kernel     : 6.1.0-7-amd64
    VM Type    : NONE
    Net Online : IPv4 & IPv6

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : Hetzner Online GmbH
    ASN        : AS24940 Hetzner Online GmbH
    Location   : Falkenstein, Saxony (SN)
    Country    : Germany

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 1.57 GB/s   (394.5k) | 2.37 GB/s    (37.1k)
    Write      | 1.58 GB/s   (395.6k) | 2.39 GB/s    (37.3k)
    Total      | 3.16 GB/s   (790.1k) | 4.77 GB/s    (74.5k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 2.85 GB/s     (5.5k) | 3.21 GB/s     (3.1k)
    Write      | 3.00 GB/s     (5.8k) | 3.42 GB/s     (3.3k)
    Total      | 5.86 GB/s    (11.4k) | 6.63 GB/s     (6.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 931 Mbits/sec   | 930 Mbits/sec   | 19.8 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 932 Mbits/sec   | 926 Mbits/sec   | 21.3 ms        
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 938 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec   | 12.0 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 886 Mbits/sec   | 553 Mbits/sec   | 95.7 ms        
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 807 Mbits/sec   | 256 Mbits/sec   | 85.1 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 860 Mbits/sec   | 364 Mbits/sec   | 123 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 823 Mbits/sec   | 219 Mbits/sec   | 145 ms         

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 921 Mbits/sec   | 922 Mbits/sec   | 19.9 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 920 Mbits/sec   | 908 Mbits/sec   | 21.7 ms        
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 925 Mbits/sec   | 924 Mbits/sec   | 12.1 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 874 Mbits/sec   | 586 Mbits/sec   | 96.0 ms        
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 866 Mbits/sec   | 388 Mbits/sec   | 84.9 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 848 Mbits/sec   | 328 Mbits/sec   | 123 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 830 Mbits/sec   | 352 Mbits/sec   | 145 ms         

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 3049                          
    Multi Core      | 17551                         
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/862441

YABS completed in 8 min 55 sec
    root@fsn ~ # 

Thanked by (1)lapua

• edited April 2023

Hi. I have no experience creating neither unprivileged lxc containers nor unprivileged kvm vps. But it will be fun if I can try :)

Thanks for everything.

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIOQ6a1fln9KCXRXdEJ7O6AUWm4f+wTF1mySLJLjsqFlk eddsa-key-20210809

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited April 2023

Hi @Not_Oles would love to try this monster if allowed.

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIFzy9s592T8u+ErFKUO6VXYxfmSwJ28v3tnDnOXyT1uB

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • I would love to learn about LXC containers and such. Can I hop on?
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAILIPoyMH/NzIxi28yaqrLBB9VpkhLtL3bVYXycaL1NhW

• @shallow said:
    I would love to learn about LXC containers and such. Can I hop on?
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAILIPoyMH/NzIxi28yaqrLBB9VpkhLtL3bVYXycaL1NhW

• @shallow said: I would love to learn about VPS and such. Can I hop on?

• @shallow said:

@shallow said: I would love to learn about VPS and such. Can I hop on?

i can teach you other useful things.

edited April 2023

@cpsd said:
    Hi. I have no experience creating neither unprivileged lxc containers nor unprivileged kvm vps. But it will be fun if I can try :)

Thanks for everything.

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIOQ6a1fln9KCXRXdEJ7O6AUWm4f+wTF1mySLJLjsqFlk eddsa-key-20210809

HI @cpsd!

I provisioned your account! Welcome to MetalVPS!

Please try ssh [email protected] -p 42365 with your ssh key.

Your password is in a file in your home directory. The file is mode 600, which means that no other users can see the contents. Password login has been disabled on the Node, but you might need the password later. Please feel free to change your password.

Maybe you might want to start by adapting the easiest of the non-KVM and then the KVM Slirp recipes from this tutorial?. Please don't forget to check the additional references at the end of the tutorial.

On the server's Debian apt default qemu install I see

root@fsn ~ # which kvm
    /usr/bin/kvm
    root@fsn ~ # ls -l $(which kvm)
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Mar  5 17:09 /usr/bin/kvm -> qemu-system-x86_64
    root@fsn ~ # ls -l /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18421696 Mar  5 17:09 /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64
    root@fsn ~ # 

From the above permissions, I am guessing that unprivileged users can use KVM. But I haven't tried it yet.

There may be a few configuration items still needed for LXC to work and for giving KVM and LXC instances their own IPv6 addresses and forwarded IPv4 ports. I believe Slirp should work as things are right now.

Please feel free to post any questions that you have. Please also post exciting news and frequent updates about what you are doing on the server. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks and best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by (1)cpsd

edited April 2023

@Fritz said:

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIFzy9s592T8u+ErFKUO6VXYxfmSwJ28v3tnDnOXyT1uB

HI @Fritz!

Please try ssh [email protected]. Note that Debian doesn't seem to like capital letters in usernames, so I changed F to f.

Other stuff . . . approximately the same as I said to @cpsd above. :)

I hope you have fun on the server! Please post any questions and also exciting news and frequent updates about what you are doing on the server! Best wishes!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    From the above permissions, I am guessing that unprivileged users can use KVM. But I haven't tried it yet.

I think you're supposed to just add users you want to be able to use it into the group kvm (in /etc/group).

@ralf said:

@Not_Oles said:

I think you're supposed to just add users you want to be able to use it into the group kvm (in /etc/group).

Yes, I've seen that before too, thanks! I'm unsure why, though, when neighbors without root or kvm group membership seem, from the permissions, to be able to execute the needed commands.

Of course, we will add the kvm group if it turns out to be needed.

Thanks for your help @ralf! Much appreciated.

@Not_Oles said:

@ralf said:

@Not_Oles said:

Yes, I've seen that before too, thanks! I'm unsure why, though, when neighbors without root or kvm group membership seem, from the permissions, to be able to execute the needed commands.

Of course, we will add the kvm group if it turns out to be needed.

Thanks for your help @ralf! Much appreciated.

Interestingly, there already is a kvm group.

root@fsn ~ # grep kvm /etc/group
    kvm:x:105:
    root@fsn ~ # 

But, why is the kvm group needed if non-root neighbors have executable permissions on /usr/bin/kvm and /usr.bin/qemu-system-x86_64?

root@fsn ~ # ls -l /usr/bin/kvm /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       18 Mar  5 17:09 /usr/bin/kvm -> qemu-system-x86_64
    root@fsn ~ # 

Thanks! :)

• @Not_Oles said:

@Fritz said:

HI @Fritz!

Please try ssh [email protected]. Note that Debian doesn't seem to like capital letters in usernames, so I changed F to f.

Other stuff . . . approximately the same as I said to @cpsd above. :)

I hope you have fun on the server! Please post any questions and also exciting news and frequent updates about what you are doing on the server! Best wishes!

Tom

Hi,
    Will start to play with it. Thanks @Not_Oles !

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:
    But, why is the kvm group needed if non-root neighbors have executable permissions on /usr/bin/kvm and /usr.bin/qemu-system-x86_64?

Anyone can execute the commands, permission is gated on being able to access /dev/kvm:

# ls -l /dev/kvm
    crw-rw---- 1 root kvm 10, 232 Feb  3 15:36 /dev/kvm

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Interestingly, there already is a kvm group.

Yeah, you should just add the list of comma separated user names to that after the last colon.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@ralf said:

@Not_Oles said:

Anyone can execute the commands, permission is gated on being able to access /dev/kvm:

# ls -l /dev/kvm
    crw-rw---- 1 root kvm 10, 232 Feb  3 15:36 /dev/kvm

"Anyone can execute the commands, permission is gated on being able to access /dev/kvm"

Yeah! Now I get it! Thanks! <3

root@fsn ~ # ls -l /usr/bin/kvm
    root@fsn ~ # ls -l /dev/kvm
    crw-rw---- 1 root kvm 10, 232 Apr  9 00:57 /dev/kvm
    root@fsn ~ # 

Neighbors now added to kvm group!

root@fsn ~ # usermod -aG kvm cpsd
    root@fsn ~ # usermod -aG kvm fritz
    root@fsn ~ # usermod -aG kvm notoles
    root@fsn ~ # grep kvm /etc/group
    kvm:x:105:cpsd,fritz,notoles
    root@fsn ~ # 

• @Not_Oles said:

BTW, if you use ls -lL /usr/bin/kvm it'll follow links and show you the data about the actual file.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • I was away from this forum for a while, but very cool that MetalVPS is still a thing :) Thanks for providing this to the community, tinkering with servers is fun and a learning experience!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited April 2023

@Not_Oles said:
    I provisioned your account! Welcome to MetalVPS!

Thanks!

Maybe you might want to start by adapting the easiest of the non-KVM and then the KVM Slirp recipes from this tutorial?. Please don't forget to check the additional references at the end of the tutorial.

I was trying your instructions, Thanks. I coudn't find the the file start-qemu-kvm-slirp.sh so I wasn't able to follow that trick.
    Moreover, I found that qcow2 file gets full when you update & try to install tmux / qemu. So I managed to increase the qcow2 file and move /usr & /var to two new partitions.

Finally I bypassed the guest's networking problem connecting through my VPN.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited April 2023

@Not_Oles no dice for shallow?

• edited April 2023

@shallow said:

off course NOt , for you , more like

Thanked by (1)shallow
  • @ehab said:

@shallow said:

off course NOt , for you , more like

Oooh snap

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @Not_Oles can you please provide account for Shallow, his key is above.
    Thanks a lot.

Hi @cpsd!

Thanks for your report! Looks like you did well for what was, as you said, your first time! Congrats! 🍾

@cpsd said: I was trying your instructions, Thanks. I coudn't find the the file start-qemu-kvm-slirp.sh so I wasn't able to follow that trick.

The entire start-qemu-kvm-slirp.sh file is in the linked article:

root@debian:~# cat start-qemu-kvm-slirp.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    # Start qemu with user mode "slirp" networking.
    # Please see http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking
    # Default login "root". No password needed.

qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -nographic \
    -cpu host -enable-kvm \
    -m 1G \
    -hda /root/debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2
    root@debian:~#

Moreover, I found that qcow2 file gets full when you update & try to install tmux / qemu. So I managed to increase the qcow2 file and move /usr & /var to two new partitions.

May I please ask, how did you increase the size of the qcow2 file?

May I please ask how you did this?

Good luck with continuing adventures!

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by (1)cpsd

edited April 2023

@Freek said: [V]ery cool that MetalVPS is still a thing Thanks for providing this to the community, tinkering with servers is fun and a learning experience!

Thanks for your kind words! Your comment made my day, so I added it to the OP. Best wishes!

Thanked by (1)Freek

@ralf said:

@Not_Oles said:

BTW, if you use ls -lL /usr/bin/kvm it'll follow links and show you the data about the actual file.

root@fsn ~ # ls -lL /usr/bin/kvm
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18421696 Mar  5 17:09 /usr/bin/kvm
    root@fsn ~ # 

from man ls

-L, --dereference
          when  showing  file  information for a symbolic link, show information 
          for the file the link references rather than for the link itself

• @ehab said:
    @Not_Oles can you please provide account for Shallow, his key is above.
    Thanks a lot.

No dice.

• Trying to follow the tutorial here.
    Need to squeeze my brain.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles

I'd like an account; I'm interested in learning about creating kvm VPSes.

Let me know what I need to do, thanks

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAILUt0NSJah9AEOnk27sVO0pbfvrREdNqtIOCCU1xiNl/ JuiceSSH

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited April 2023

@Not_Oles said:

root@debian:~# cat start-qemu-kvm-slirp.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    # Start qemu with user mode "slirp" networking.
    # Please see http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking
    # Default login "root". No password needed.

qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -nographic \
    -cpu host -enable-kvm \
    -m 1G \
    -hda /root/debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2
    root@debian:~#

Oh! I was looking for a script inside the guest machine after installing the package. So i just tried to run tmux from host and launching the guest machine. But no luck when I ping any IPv4/domain. 100% packet loss.

May I please ask, how did you increase the size of the qcow2 file?

From host machine:
    qemu-img resize debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2 +10G

qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -nographic \
    -cpu host -enable-kvm \
    -m 1G \
    -hda /home/cpsd/debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

From guest machine:
    root@localhost:~# fdisk /dev/sda

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.38.1).
    Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
    Be careful before using the write command.

GPT PMBR size mismatch (4194303 != 25165823) will be corrected by write.
    The backup GPT table is not on the end of the device. This problem will be corrected by write.
    This disk is currently in use - repartitioning is probably a bad idea.
    It's recommended to umount all file systems, and swapoff all swap
    partitions on this disk.

Command (m for help): n
    Partition number (2-13,16-128, default 2): 2
    First sector (4194271-25165790, default 4194304): 4194304
    Last sector, +/-sectors or +/-size{K,M,G,T,P} (4194304-25165790, default 25163775): 25163775

Created a new partition 2 of type 'Linux filesystem' and of size 10 GiB.

Command (m for help): w
    The partition table has been altered.
    Syncing disks.

root@localhost:~#

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
    mkdir /mnt/usr   
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usr
    init 1
    cd /usr
    cp -axr . /mnt/usr
    echo "/dev/sda2       /usr     ext4    defaults    0 0" >> /etc/fstab
    cd /usr
    root@localhost:/usr# rm -rf *

From host machine:

cpsd@fsn:~$ ps -a
            PID TTY          TIME CMD
          10321 pts/0    00:00:32 qemu-system-x86
          10376 pts/1    00:00:00 ps
        cpsd@fsn:~$ kill -9 10321

Now you can repeat those steps for /var partition if you are interested in.

May I please ask how you did this?

First, you need to fix the ssh daemon:

apt reinstall openssh-server

service ssh start

Second, I had an important missing package (dhclient): apt install isc-dhcp-client

Third, you need a script at the boot process to connect to your vpn. I used one current file as template:

cp /etc/init.d/sudo /etc/init.d/conectaVPN
        #! /bin/sh
        ### BEGIN INIT INFO
        # Provides:          conectaVPN

start)
        echo "Starting script"
    /bin/bash /root/iniciaServicio.sh
        ;;
      stop)

update-rc.d conectaVPN defaults
    root@servidor5:~# vi iniciaServicio.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    sleep 60

/root/comandosConexionVPN.sh
    --
    chmod +x iniciaServicio.sh

Ready :).

Last step:
    as I wanted to try a desktop, I installed the x2go daemon and set a required hostname for the guest machine:

hostnamectl set-hostname cpsdmetalvps
        apt-get install xfce4 x2goserver x2goserver-xsession

And I allowed PasswordAuthentication (in /etc/ssh/sshd_config)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles