Free And Premium Bare Metal Servers, VPSes, and Containers From MetalVPS!

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Friendly greetings! 🌎🌍

Free VPSes!

Everyone's best friend and favorite Low End Provider, Crunchbits, granted MetalVPS Crunchy, a wonderful US 🇺🇸 dedicated server, free until November 8, 2024! Free Crunchy accounts are currently on pause, but might again become available. Please monitor and comment in the parallel LES Crunchy thread if you are interested in Crunchy.

Besides Crunchy, free VPSes also are available through FreeVPS.org. Please monitor and comment in the parallel LES FreeVPS thread if you are interested in FreeVPS.org.

Premium $7 Per Month VPSes And Containers!

Polonium is a MetalVPS bare metal dedicated server located in Germany. 🇩🇪 All Polonium resources are available for fair use in shell accounts, VPSes, and containers.

• CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2276G CPU @ 3.80GHz
  • iGPU VPS passthrough possible, but not yet implemented
  • Hardware Cores: 6
  • Hardware Threads: 12
  • RAM: 2 x 32 GB DDR4 ECC SAMSUNG M391A4G43AB1-CWE
  • SWAP: 8 GB ZRAM
  • Disks: 2x SSD U.2 NVMe 960 GB SAMSUNG MZQLW960HMJP
  • Altroot Partitions: Each disk has 1 x 100GB ext4 non-RAID partition for chroot with debootstrap (debootstrap is installed).
  • Root Partition: The two disks share 1 x 1.5TB software RAID 0 ext4 root partition.
  • IP Addresses: 1 x IPv4/32; 1 x IPv6/128; 1 x IPv6/64; and 1 x IPv6/48 (HE TunnelBroker.net)
  • Bandwidth: 1 Gbps shared, unlimited, fair use
  • Today's OS: Fedora 40 (Rawhide)
  • Monthly Rent Paid By MetalVPS To Polonium's Provider: €33.70
  • Current Month-to-Month Rental Term Expires: February 10, 2024
  • Yabs and Network-Speed will be posted in this thread.

@Not_Oles doesn't use Polonium very much. As of this writing, nobody else is using Polonium. Thus, considerable excess bare metal server capacity remains. It seems like a good idea to offer this excess bare metal capacity to our LES Community.

MetalVPS charges for Polonium accounts, because, unlike wonderful Crunchy, Polonium isn't free. Polonium herself costs @Not_Oles €33.70 per month. MetalVPS Polonium User Neighbor accounts are available for US$7.00 per month.

If you feel like joining @Not_Oles on Polonium, please take a careful look at the Warnings and at the Terms of Service shown below. How to Sign Up, Pricing, and Support also are covered below.

It would be great to have you on Polonium!

Best wishes! 🌎🌍

Tom

Managed Or Unmanaged Bare Metal Servers!

MetalVPS has additional bare metal servers. Please email @Not_Oles at the address on his LES profile if you want a managed or an unmanaged bare metal server.

Warnings!

• Clueless™ administrator @Not_Oles has no "technical background" and only "limited technical skills." 😀 @Not_Oles frequently messes up! 😱

• MetalVPS has no billing panel and no server control panel! There are no preinstalled VPSes or containers. It's traditional, bare metal, command line terminal via ssh until you install whatever GUI or Control Panel or VPS or container you want. 🆕

• Sometimes trusted MetalVPSians might or might not get sudo, KVM group membership, etc. 🙈🙉🙊

• MetalVPS has no onboarding and no knowledge base! ♒︎

• Basic set-ups that you quite reasonably might expect to find might not yet have been completed! 🙃

• Account delivery might take awhile! 😴

• Not for business or production use! Intended especially for computer learning and fun! 🤑

• Frequent maintenance reboots are guaranteed! 🌺

• Please make your own redundant, offsite backups! It's easy to download or sync or clone your backup to a safe place. Please also make sure that you actually can restore from your backups! 🤦‍♂️

• Please think of your MetalVPS account as ephemeral! Our server might blow up! 💥 Even if our server doesn't literally explode, it's RAID 0! 🤡 YOLO! 💀

• At any random second @Not_Oles or maybe you might reinstall the Node! 😸

• Other MetalVPSians might see your account name, the processes you are running, and much other information. So, please do not put confidential information on the server. 🤔

Terms Of Service

• Be awesome! Be kind, gentle, friendly, positive, and polite!
  • White Hat only!
  • Not for business use!
  • Not for production use!
  • Intended for education and fun!
  • Open source software only, both on MetalVPS and for connecting to MetalVPS!
  • No Service Level Agreement (SLA)!
  • Provider TOS also applies!

Pricing

• Polonium Neighbor Shell Account: US$7.00/month

• Payment gateways available via Zelle, Paypal, and maybe Stripe.

• No payment is due until your Sign Up is accepted, your account is provisioned, and you say that you are 100% satisfied!

How To Sign Up

• Please post here in this thread.

• Please include

• your ed25519 ssh public key;

• links to your website, Github or other repo, other online profiles, etc.; and

• your use case for Polonium.

• Please feel free to include additional items in support of your sign up request.

Support

• Please post all new MetalVPS Polonium account requests and all Polonium support requests, comments, and feedback here in this thread. Please also post tutorials explaining your MetalVPS Polonium accomplishments here in this thread or on their own, new LES threads.

• LES PMs (personal messages) and emails can be sent to @Not_Oles about items which need privacy. For email, please use the address on @Not_Oles' profile.

More About MetalVPS!

Thanks!

Tom gets a lot of help from the friendly MetalVPSians and from many other friends. Thanks to each and every one! <3

What People Are Saying

• About MetalVPS

"MetalVPS . . . seems to have endless servers."

"@Not_Oles . . . thank you for providing machine for me to help me finish all the tests."

"I really enjoyed MetalVPS . . . I hope more people can learn together using MetalVPS."

"非常感谢Not_Oles分享免费的MetalVPS为大家使用!" "Big thanks to Not_Oles for sharing his MetalVPS for people to use!"

". . . [V]ery cool that MetalVPS is still a thing :) Thanks for providing this to the community, tinkering with servers is fun and a learning experience!"

"The permanent free shell account of MetalVPS is very fun!" ("MetalVPS的永久免费shell账号挺好玩的")

"This is really really cool."

"I enjoyed the section of the OP dedicated to complementary comments, including helpful links so they can be verified."

"MetalVPS used to be a high end provider, but it's becoming a sorority now."

"fun stuff indeed, appreciating the comfortable computing experience!"

"Liking my darkstar"

"Nice trial and results! Very interesting :)"

Metalvps recommended on OGF 🙈

"It just crossed my mind that I've been using your server for over half a year! It's been an amazing experience! . . . Your services deserve much more attention. <3"

"Wow pretty nice ! Congrats excellent options thanks for being a part of the community"

"the terms seemed exceptionally fair"

"Kernel Linux 5.11 is now in much better shape for AMD <3"

"Yes, please. I’ll take that."

"it's really quite dedicated. not all dedicated are the same."

"MetalVPS-AX101 has a reasonable price"

"really need a testing ground badly now especially with dedicated core"

"the fastest VPS I ever used"

"I've been using this one from him. Highly recommend! His support is really amazing!"

"10/10 metalvps recommended"

"very powerful"

"premium stuff"

"Grab it while the hotel still has vacant rooms."

". . . very passionate and enthusiastic about everything. Not all businesses are made this way and it's very easy to see when you interact with them. You are giving the right impression with this industry and it's wonderful to see."

"I think MetalVPS is designed in between a dedicated and a regular VPS. Some use case cannot fill the capacity of a dedicated but need more CPU than a regular VPS, and it makes sense to use MetalVPS in such situation."

• About Not_Oles

"Happy Birthday Tom !!"

". . . a certain... finesse."

"@Not_Oles . . . is doing all kinds of interesting work and sharing it with others"

"Hi Tom <3"

"Tom, you're the best :)"

"I found it interesting that Tom still treats his free vps members like humans (it's really admirable). . . ."

"@Not_Oles is really a funfull and helpful grandpa!!"

"especially thanks @Not_Oles , He pointed out my problems and told me the correct way to share. He is a good guy."

"I'm not in need for any free vps at the moment, but thanks for what you're doing. If I had this chance few years ago, I think my life would be different."

"I did want to thank @Not_Oles for always being so friendly. Makes me smile seeing how nice you are to everyone here."

"You are a great person."

"Possibly the most polite and enthusiastic personality in the entire LE* world with a genuine interest that runs so deep he even set up a business exclusively catering for LES. as a regular content writer for LES his articles frequently top the charts in terms of most viewed (according to google)"

"Really, you're the best person I've known on the internet."

"we've found that good, in-depth technical articles tend to drive user interaction and new sign-ups on the forum. @Not_Oles's Proxmox articles are evidence of this."

"It was a pleasure for me to collaborate with Tom, he really knows what he's doing :)"

"Thanks again to @Not_Oles for valiant testing."

"you've brought a smile on my face countless times "

"Good luck with your new project! :D Happy to have you around here!"

"I always love how you come up with new ideas :D Good luck, mate!

"May you continue to learn and inspire others."

"he is a great guy!"

"he is the sweetest guy in LES .."

"Everybody loves @Not_Oles! <3"

"resplendent as the Sonoran Sun"

"god bless not_oles ^^"

"every time I visit les and see that profile picture, it brightens up my day."

Edit History

Originally posted -- January 12, 2024

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Tagged:

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    [Not_Oles@polonium ~]$ curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-01-01                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri Jan 12 01:34:32 AM UTC 2024

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 1 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2276G CPU @ 3.80GHz
    CPU cores  : 12 @ 799.993 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 62.6 GiB
    Swap       : 8.0 GiB
    Disk       : 1.7 TiB
    Distro     : Fedora Linux 40 (Rawhide Prerelease)
    Kernel     : 6.8.0-0.rc0.20240110gitab27740f7665.4.fc40.x86_64
    VM Type    : NONE
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : [Redacted]
    ASN        : [Redacted]
    Location   : Falkenstein, Saxony (SN)
    Country    : Germany

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/md127):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 696.73 MB/s (174.1k) | 953.78 MB/s  (14.9k)
    Write      | 698.57 MB/s (174.6k) | 958.80 MB/s  (14.9k)
    Total      | 1.39 GB/s   (348.8k) | 1.91 GB/s    (29.8k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 960.00 MB/s   (1.8k) | 964.62 MB/s    (942)
    Write      | 1.01 GB/s     (1.9k) | 1.02 GB/s     (1.0k)
    Total      | 1.97 GB/s     (3.8k) | 1.99 GB/s     (1.9k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 922 Mbits/sec   | 932 Mbits/sec   | 19.8 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy            | 21.7 ms        
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 931 Mbits/sec   | 936 Mbits/sec   | 10.8 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 876 Mbits/sec   | 542 Mbits/sec   | 96.5 ms        
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 861 Mbits/sec   | 564 Mbits/sec   | 83.9 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 838 Mbits/sec   | 466 Mbits/sec   | 128 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 332 Mbits/sec   | 152 ms         

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 911 Mbits/sec   | 922 Mbits/sec   | 19.6 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy            | 21.2 ms        
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 918 Mbits/sec   | 923 Mbits/sec   | 10.9 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 862 Mbits/sec   | 409 Mbits/sec   | 96.1 ms        
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 860 Mbits/sec   | 429 Mbits/sec   | 84.0 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 827 Mbits/sec   | 391 Mbits/sec   | 128 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 354 Mbits/sec   | 152 ms         

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1783                          
    Multi Core      | 7301                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/4354597

YABS completed in 14 min 44 sec
    [Not_Oles@polonium ~]$ 

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited January 12
    ---------------------------- network-speed.xyz ----------------------------
          A simple script to test network performance using speedtest-cli      
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Version            : v2023.12.28
     Global Speedtest   : wget -qO- network-speed.xyz | bash
     Region Speedtest   : wget -qO- network-speed.xyz | bash -s -- -r <region>
     Basic System Info
     CPU Model          : Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2276G CPU @ 3.80GHz
     CPU Cores          : 12 @ 4599.596 MHz
     CPU Cache          : 12288 KB
     AES-NI             : ✔ Enabled
     VM-x/AMD-V         : ✔ Enabled
     Total Disk         : 1.7 TB (6.9 GB Used)
     Total RAM          : 62.6 GB (911.2 MB Used)
     Total Swap         : 8.0 GB (0 Used)
     System uptime      : 0 days, 0 hour 47 min
     Load average       : 0.00, 0.00, 0.03
     OS                 : Fedora release 40 (Rawhide)
     Arch               : x86_64 (64 Bit)
     Kernel             : 6.8.0-0.rc0.20240110gitab27740f7665.4.fc40.x86_64
     Virtualization     : NONE
     TCP Control        : cubic
     Basic Network Info
     Primary Network    : IPv6
     IPv6 Access        : ✔ Online
     IPv4 Access        : ✔ Online
     ISP                : Unknown
     ASN                : Unknown
     ASN (IPv4)         : [Redacted]
     Location (IPv4)    : Falkenstein, Saxony, DE
     Speedtest.net (Region: GLOBAL)
     Location         Latency     Loss    DL Speed       UP Speed       Server      

ISP: [Redacted] 

Nearest          6.03 ms     0.0%    940.82 Mbps    933.92 Mbps    Deutsche Telekom - Munich 

Kochi, IN        180.65 ms   0.0%    714.77 Mbps    530.61 Mbps    Asianet Broadband - Cochin 
     Bangalore, IN    138.69 ms   0.0%    761.76 Mbps    636.85 Mbps    Bharti Airtel Ltd - Bangalore 
     Chennai, IN      135.96 ms   N/A     822.06 Mbps    610.23 Mbps    Jio - Chennai 
     Mumbai, IN       110.88 ms   0.0%    900.11 Mbps    642.01 Mbps    i3D.net - Mumbai 
     Delhi, IN        171.02 ms   0.0%    663.09 Mbps    550.84 Mbps    Tata Play Fiber - New Delhi 

Seattle, US      157.68 ms   N/A     883.73 Mbps    572.21 Mbps    Comcast - Seattle, WA 
     Los Angeles, US  152.52 ms   0.0%    873.83 Mbps    508.00 Mbps    ReliableSite Hosting - Los Angeles, CA 
     Dallas, US       125.72 ms   0.0%    679.73 Mbps    564.33 Mbps    Hivelocity - Dallas, TX 
     Miami, US        128.46 ms   0.0%    718.79 Mbps    646.70 Mbps    AT&T - Miami, FL 
     New York, US     82.30 ms    0.0%    989.59 Mbps    892.92 Mbps    GSL Networks - New York, NY 
     Toronto, CA      104.58 ms   0.0%    911.31 Mbps    818.21 Mbps    Rogers - Toronto, ON 
     Mexico City, MX  176.49 ms   N/A     905.77 Mbps    506.23 Mbps    INFINITUM - Mexico City 

London, UK       23.48 ms    0.0%    936.97 Mbps    920.72 Mbps    VeloxServ Communications - London 
     Amsterdam, NL    12.79 ms    0.0%    943.03 Mbps    933.79 Mbps    31173 Services AB - Amsterdam 
     Paris, FR        24.39 ms    N/A     948.51 Mbps    933.89 Mbps    Axione - Paris 
     Frankfurt, DE    5.63 ms     0.0%    926.00 Mbps    920.78 Mbps    23M GmbH - Frankfurt am Main 
     Warsaw, PL       27.52 ms    0.0%    938.01 Mbps    919.00 Mbps    Play - Warszawa 
     Bucharest, RO    32.92 ms    0.0%    943.12 Mbps    934.22 Mbps    Vodafone Romania Fixed – Bucharest - Bucharest 
     Moscow, RU       37.88 ms    0.0%    929.50 Mbps    918.73 Mbps    MegaFon - Moscow 

Jeddah, SA       87.22 ms    0.0%    966.91 Mbps    871.85 Mbps    Saudi Telecom Company 
     Dubai, AE        126.00 ms   0.0%    989.26 Mbps    679.98 Mbps    du - Dubai  
     Fujairah, AE     114.15 ms   0.0%    958.50 Mbps    753.07 Mbps    ETISALAT-UAE - Fujairah 
     Istanbul, TR     47.38 ms    0.0%    937.48 Mbps    928.41 Mbps    Turkcell - Istanbul 
     Tehran, IR       90.82 ms    0.0%    906.07 Mbps    763.01 Mbps    Asiatech - Tehran 

Tokyo, JP        260.24 ms   N/A     677.89 Mbps    330.40 Mbps    fdcservers.net - Tokyo 
     Shanghai, CU-CN  266.92 ms   0.0%    629.03 Mbps    344.65 Mbps    China Unicom 5G - Shanghai 
     Nanjing, CT-CN   244.47 ms   0.0%    751.00 Mbps    18.04 Mbps     China Telecom JiangSu 5G - Nanjing 
     Hong Kong, CN    181.54 ms   N/A     586.34 Mbps    504.86 Mbps    STC - Hong Kong 
     Singapore, SG    159.86 ms   0.0%    849.99 Mbps    568.56 Mbps    i3D.net - Singapore 
     Jakarta, ID      197.39 ms   0.0%    690.72 Mbps    305.36 Mbps    PT. Telekomunikasi Indonesia - Jakarta 
     Avg DL Speed       : 847.54 Mbps
     Avg UL Speed       : 676.21 Mbps

Total DL Data      : 36.40 GB
     Total UL Data      : 27.63 GB
     Total Data         : 64.03 GB
     Duration           : 14 min 57 sec
     System Time        : 12/01/2024 - 02:35:37 UTC
     Total Script Runs  : 33772
     Result             : https://result.network-speed.xyz/r/1705025902_ZMS8WI_GLOBAL.txt