Amsterdam will get 4x capacity today (within a few hours hopefully)
Singapore - OVH were kind enough to set expectations on hardware delivery... it's not good, but better to know. 4th November (Ordered 8th September) so in the meantime I will keep an eye out for some smaller compute-only (no storage) nodes to help, but it does not look good.
London and Vint Hill capacity already added, as well as New York.
Transforming Japan in to a micro node 1GB ram / 10GB Disk in the final experiment to see if we can run some less common locations like this, will report back in a month.
Searching for London Storage capacity; apart from that, I think we pretty much resolved the capacity issues, We will need to add more in canada and Germany soon.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Singapore now available, I expect it to go quick, next hardware availability in singapore will be around 4th November, ryzen based and will come with 8GB Ram options, if you want SG now, get it now, it just vanishes fast.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
End users can now generate multi use vouchers @WSS
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Congrats on your expansion of your hypervisor capacity. Would be more than happy to see your Japanese 1GB-ish tiny VMs getting sold out. So that I could add KR location to my wishlist/waitlist then.
Is there any way to skip the automatic currency conversion / Still pay in USD? Paying more for the "convenience" instead of letting my bank convert the purchase which is cheaper doesn't look convenient for me at all.
@yoshiki said:
Is there any way to skip the automatic currency conversion / Still pay in USD? Paying more for the "convenience" instead of letting my bank convert the purchase which is cheaper doesn't look convenient for me at all.
I don't understand sorry? You should be billed in your local currency, unless using a VPN.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
@yoshiki said:
Is there any way to skip the automatic currency conversion / Still pay in USD? Paying more for the "convenience" instead of letting my bank convert the purchase which is cheaper doesn't look convenient for me at all.
I don't understand sorry? You should be billed in your local currency, unless using a VPN.
Paying in USD and letting my bank do the conversion is cheaper for me than letting the payment processor do the conversion for me. Like where you're in a foreign country and the ATM lets you accept their (bad) currency conversion or go with the (better) bank one, it would be pretty cool if there was a way of disabling the local conversion and letting us pay in USD
@yoshiki@AnthonySmith Another issue is that, even if someone has the ability to pay directly in USD, one seems forced to pay in the currency of his location. In my case, I am visiting in Mexico, but I still can pay with dollars. The top up amount is entered in dollars on the TierHive panel, but ultimately, for me, was requested in pesos.
So it looks like I had to pay my US payment source to transfer the payment from dollars to pesos and then might have been charged again by your payment provider to turn the pesos back into dollars. I'm unclear exactly who got the additional funds, but the $10.00 top up amount I entered on the TierHive website ended up costing $11.04 on my bill.
It would be great if I could enter a US credit card number and pay with dollars! Thanks!
@Not_Oles said: @yoshiki@AnthonySmith Another issue is that, even if someone has the ability to pay directly in USD, one seems forced to pay in the currency of his location. In my case, I am visiting in Mexico, but I still can pay with dollars. The top up amount is entered in dollars on the TierHive panel, but ultimately, for me, was requested in pesos.
So it looks like I had to pay my US payment source to transfer the payment from dollars to pesos and then might have been charged again by your payment provider to turn the pesos back into dollars. I'm unclear exactly who got the additional funds, but the $10.00 top up amount I entered on the TierHive website ended up costing $11.04 on my bill.
It would be great if I could enter a US credit card number and pay with dollars! Thanks!
Top right, change your country to USA during payment, the currency changes to USD.
Obviously you need to enter payment details for a USA account/ card or it's going to get flagged
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Oh, I found a Miami option, by the way. It will probably be coming along soon enough- probably Los Angeles first, then Miami
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Oh, I found a Miami option, by the way. It will probably be coming along soon enough- probably Los Angeles first, then Miami
Yes Stablecoins... Great news about Miami... Thanks!
Right, well, until FastSpring start taking crypto, it's legally quite complex for us to take it; ironically, we would need more of your personal data to accept crypto than we do now.
I guess what I really need to do is find a dedicated reseller that can handle the crypto side of things; we can probably offer at least a 10% incentive immediately and bonuses, keeps life simple.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
A bunch of accounts making tons of transactions from different cards and then filtering the tokens to a central account that has never made a single payment, so that was fun processing around 50 refunds and filing about 30 different fraudrecord reports on about 50 different IP's and emails.
Ah well, you make it cheap, you attract the scum.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
I would say 'called it', but we know just what this is. Might look into certain restrictions such as converting tokens to tokens since this person basically used you to commit fraud in a way that only benefits them. My suggestion would be any client who has less than 4+ months of service isn't allowed to gift or create tokens. Anyone who has no direct transaction on file is limited to specific platforms, et al.
I would say 'called it', but we know just what this is. Might look into certain restrictions such as converting tokens to tokens since this person basically used you to commit fraud in a way that only benefits them. My suggestion would be any client who has less than 4+ months of service isn't allowed to gift or create tokens. Anyone who has no direct transaction on file is limited to specific platforms, et al.
Sorry to hear about that.
Yep, I hate to let one goblin spoil it for everyone, so probably not as extreme, but I think I will limit token generation to 30+ days as that's the danger zone for chargebacks. See how it goes and see what next month brings.
It's the month we removed CN from the geo block... imagine that.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Loving the new capacity in SIN + what looks like fresh IPs 👀👍🏻
Looks like the load has spread out a bit ever since, performance has been better since the restock
@runbiscuit said:
Loving the new capacity in SIN + what looks like fresh IPs 👀👍🏻
Looks like the load has spread out a bit ever since, performance has been better since the restock
Yep, appreciate the feedback!
More capacity coming early November too
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
@WSS said:
Have prices changed? I went to recreate the same VPS in Vint Hill, and the price for the same thing is different.
Storage prices changes for slow HDD
I also think I had applied a discount on your VPS at some point if you recreated it, it probably changed, I will have a look in the morning
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
@AnthonySmith said: I also think I had applied a discount on your VPS at some point if you recreated it, it probably changed, I will have a look in the morning
That's probably it. It's nearly 50% more creating a new one. Doesn't really matter all that much. I nuked the playtoy since it was just to kick around, anyhow, but $0.04 vs $0.06 was a little surprising given the current pricing. I also had some odd issue with setting up a static host, but honestly, that was entirely on me. I just saw it fail to accept an scp and said 'Eh, whatever.'
They're also cheap as hell. 0.000040*24*365.25= .35 tokens/yr storage.
They compress as much as they can, depends on the image, its cheap, but we have around 56TB available for it, it all adds up
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
They're also cheap as hell. 0.000040*24*365.25= .35 tokens/yr storage.
They compress as much as they can, depends on the image, its cheap, but we have around 56TB available for it, it all adds up
Are your KVMs just raw? I should be maybe half of that if I was qcow2.
qcow2
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
They're also cheap as hell. 0.000040*24*365.25= .35 tokens/yr storage.
They compress as much as they can, depends on the image, its cheap, but we have around 56TB available for it, it all adds up
Are your KVMs just raw? I should be maybe half of that if I was qcow2.
qcow2
That's really weird. I'm using up less than 5GB but still compressing to nearly 8.
Try running trim and backup again maybe? maybe you have been running from before we had discards on in the guest configs, might be worth power off and on.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
They're also cheap as hell. 0.000040*24*365.25= .35 tokens/yr storage.
They compress as much as they can, depends on the image, its cheap, but we have around 56TB available for it, it all adds up
Are your KVMs just raw? I should be maybe half of that if I was qcow2.
qcow2
That's really weird. I'm using up less than 5GB but still compressing to nearly 8.
Try running trim and backup again maybe? maybe you have been running from before we had discards on in the guest configs, might be worth power off and on.
Yeah. Next time I power off, I'll run a backup on it and see if it changes anything. Not like you're charging me anything for it.
@WSS said: FWIW, fstrim is part of the normal cronjob.
yeah but we did not have discard=unmap on the guest configs from the host until recently so the hypervisor which is doing the compression is not releasing the 0's
Alpha....
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
@AnthonySmith those dashboard notices could use a timestamp. also is there some way to read historic ones? like i mashed read then immediately forgot what it said.
I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.
@zed said: @AnthonySmith those dashboard notices could use a timestamp. also is there some way to read historic ones? like i mashed read then immediately forgot what it said.
yeah they could, I think its on a list I will add it to my current one.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Vancouver Canada should be online later tonight or tomorrow by midday, depending on how things go.
Will be an 8GB location.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Fair warning- well, technically, 2nd fair warning: from this moment forward, if you agreed to the terms (the only way to register), we are now running detectors proactively for abuse; we almost got another server shut down due to torrenting and port scanning.
So we have spent some time integrating detection methods to remove abuse proactively, hopefully before it generates abuse reports.
It is literally a direct slap in the face to be doing this sort of thing on an ultra-budget, small-scale project on a shared IP, so zero tolerance will be the reaction to zero respect.
If you are torrenting... stop, even if you think you're on some special private tracker... stop. If you are found to be torrenting or mining or port scanning or anything else against our terms, even if you "just left a VPN active by accident" expect to be suspended and terminated without further warning or refund or sympathy.
I hate having to write posts like this, but sadly the internet is a wild place in 2026.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Using the VM as a VPN while connecting to a mining pool with devices behind it will also get people kicked I guess?
Only if receiving work destined for the VPS, if there are exceptions, we can be flexible enough to make them. In reality, mining is nerfed anyway by the CPU abuse governor, so I don't really expect to catch many people crypto mining and its the lest serious issue as it does not generate abuse reports for us.
So I would say if you are doing that, don't worry about it; a human will still be making the decisions for the next month or so until we have more data anyway and we do understand what we are looking at.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Hey @AnthonySmith , can you expand on this a little? Is the VPN the issue or the torrent client? I've been known to use a box as VPN proxy so I don't have to install the actual software on whatever box I'm currently sitting on. Not at TierHive mind you but I wanted to ask the question in case I ever said, "Hey, Vancouver is a lot closer than [x]. I'll just spin up a box there....."
It is literally a direct slap in the face to be doing this sort of thing on an ultra-budget, small-scale project on a shared IP, so zero tolerance will be the reaction to zero respect.
Your rentals, your rules. I'd start by nerfing anyone with a non-super-small Linux instance that refuses to run qemu-ga. You've basically undercut VirMach as the cheapest host plausible with actual service provided. You're going to attract the MJJs.
Hey @AnthonySmith , can you expand on this a little? Is the VPN the issue or the torrent client? I've been known to use a box as VPN proxy so I don't have to install the actual software on whatever box I'm currently sitting on. Not at TierHive mind you but I wanted to ask the question in case I ever said, "Hey, Vancouver is a lot closer than [x]. I'll just spin up a box there....."
Its the torrent client that you might have running at home while on a VPN, the VPN itself is fine.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Comments
Update on capacity.
Amsterdam will get 4x capacity today (within a few hours hopefully)
Singapore - OVH were kind enough to set expectations on hardware delivery... it's not good, but better to know. 4th November (Ordered 8th September) so in the meantime I will keep an eye out for some smaller compute-only (no storage) nodes to help, but it does not look good.
London and Vint Hill capacity already added, as well as New York.
Transforming Japan in to a micro node 1GB ram / 10GB Disk in the final experiment to see if we can run some less common locations like this, will report back in a month.
Searching for London Storage capacity; apart from that, I think we pretty much resolved the capacity issues, We will need to add more in canada and Germany soon.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Singapore now available, I expect it to go quick, next hardware availability in singapore will be around 4th November, ryzen based and will come with 8GB Ram options, if you want SG now, get it now, it just vanishes fast.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
End users can now generate multi use vouchers @WSS
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Congrats on your expansion of your hypervisor capacity. Would be more than happy to see your Japanese 1GB-ish tiny VMs getting sold out. So that I could add KR location to my wishlist/waitlist then.
Is there any way to skip the automatic currency conversion / Still pay in USD? Paying more for the "convenience" instead of letting my bank convert the purchase which is cheaper doesn't look convenient for me at all.
I don't understand sorry? You should be billed in your local currency, unless using a VPN.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Paying in USD and letting my bank do the conversion is cheaper for me than letting the payment processor do the conversion for me. Like where you're in a foreign country and the ATM lets you accept their (bad) currency conversion or go with the (better) bank one, it would be pretty cool if there was a way of disabling the local conversion and letting us pay in USD
@yoshiki @AnthonySmith Another issue is that, even if someone has the ability to pay directly in USD, one seems forced to pay in the currency of his location. In my case, I am visiting in Mexico, but I still can pay with dollars. The top up amount is entered in dollars on the TierHive panel, but ultimately, for me, was requested in pesos.
So it looks like I had to pay my US payment source to transfer the payment from dollars to pesos and then might have been charged again by your payment provider to turn the pesos back into dollars. I'm unclear exactly who got the additional funds, but the $10.00 top up amount I entered on the TierHive website ended up costing $11.04 on my bill.
It would be great if I could enter a US credit card number and pay with dollars! Thanks!
Top right, change your country to USA during payment, the currency changes to USD.
Obviously you need to enter payment details for a USA account/ card or it's going to get flagged
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
When USDC/USDT?
What's that, some sort of crypto?
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Oh, I found a Miami option, by the way. It will probably be coming along soon enough- probably Los Angeles first, then Miami
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Yes Stablecoins... Great news about Miami... Thanks!
Right, well, until FastSpring start taking crypto, it's legally quite complex for us to take it; ironically, we would need more of your personal data to accept crypto than we do now.
I guess what I really need to do is find a dedicated reseller that can handle the crypto side of things; we can probably offer at least a 10% incentive immediately and bonuses, keeps life simple.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
First chargeback.
Fun.
A bunch of accounts making tons of transactions from different cards and then filtering the tokens to a central account that has never made a single payment, so that was fun processing around 50 refunds and filing about 30 different fraudrecord reports on about 50 different IP's and emails.
Ah well, you make it cheap, you attract the scum.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
I would say 'called it', but we know just what this is. Might look into certain restrictions such as converting tokens to tokens since this person basically used you to commit fraud in a way that only benefits them. My suggestion would be any client who has less than 4+ months of service isn't allowed to gift or create tokens. Anyone who has no direct transaction on file is limited to specific platforms, et al.
Sorry to hear about that.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Yep, I hate to let one goblin spoil it for everyone, so probably not as extreme, but I think I will limit token generation to 30+ days as that's the danger zone for chargebacks. See how it goes and see what next month brings.
It's the month we removed CN from the geo block... imagine that.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
I'd say only leave Alipay and Wechat Pay payments for CN with no possibility to change the region?
That's been my experience. So glad to be out of hosting.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
new ram in singapore pls, thanks
Eh?
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Maybe more than 4GB? xD
Maybe... But I won't guess.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
+1 for Indonesia, Anthony please consider opening a spot here
Loving the new capacity in SIN + what looks like fresh IPs 👀👍🏻
Looks like the load has spread out a bit ever since, performance has been better since the restock
Yep, appreciate the feedback!
More capacity coming early November too
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Have prices changed? I went to recreate the same VPS in Vint Hill, and the price for the same thing is different.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Storage prices changes for slow HDD
I also think I had applied a discount on your VPS at some point if you recreated it, it probably changed, I will have a look in the morning
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
That's probably it. It's nearly 50% more creating a new one. Doesn't really matter all that much. I nuked the playtoy since it was just to kick around, anyhow, but $0.04 vs $0.06 was a little surprising given the current pricing. I also had some odd issue with setting up a static host, but honestly, that was entirely on me. I just saw it fail to accept an scp and said 'Eh, whatever.'
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Backups don't compress very well.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
They're also cheap as hell. 0.000040*24*365.25= .35 tokens/yr storage.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
They compress as much as they can, depends on the image, its cheap, but we have around 56TB available for it, it all adds up
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Are your KVMs just raw? I should be maybe half of that if I was qcow2.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
qcow2
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
That's really weird. I'm using up less than 5GB but still compressing to nearly 8.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Try running trim and backup again maybe? maybe you have been running from before we had discards on in the guest configs, might be worth power off and on.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Yeah. Next time I power off, I'll run a backup on it and see if it changes anything. Not like you're charging me anything for it.
FWIW, fstrim is part of the normal cronjob.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
yeah but we did not have discard=unmap on the guest configs from the host until recently so the hypervisor which is doing the compression is not releasing the 0's
Alpha....
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
@AnthonySmith those dashboard notices could use a timestamp. also is there some way to read historic ones? like i mashed read then immediately forgot what it said.
I ain’t reading all that, but I’m happy for you though. Or sorry that happened.
yeah they could, I think its on a list I will add it to my current one.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Vancouver Canada should be online later tonight or tomorrow by midday, depending on how things go.
Will be an 8GB location.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Fair warning- well, technically, 2nd fair warning: from this moment forward, if you agreed to the terms (the only way to register), we are now running detectors proactively for abuse; we almost got another server shut down due to torrenting and port scanning.
So we have spent some time integrating detection methods to remove abuse proactively, hopefully before it generates abuse reports.
It is literally a direct slap in the face to be doing this sort of thing on an ultra-budget, small-scale project on a shared IP, so zero tolerance will be the reaction to zero respect.
If you are torrenting... stop, even if you think you're on some special private tracker... stop. If you are found to be torrenting or mining or port scanning or anything else against our terms, even if you "just left a VPN active by accident" expect to be suspended and terminated without further warning or refund or sympathy.
I hate having to write posts like this, but sadly the internet is a wild place in 2026.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Using the VM as a VPN while connecting to a mining pool with devices behind it will also get people kicked I guess?
Only if receiving work destined for the VPS, if there are exceptions, we can be flexible enough to make them. In reality, mining is nerfed anyway by the CPU abuse governor, so I don't really expect to catch many people crypto mining and its the lest serious issue as it does not generate abuse reports for us.
So I would say if you are doing that, don't worry about it; a human will still be making the decisions for the next month or so until we have more data anyway and we do understand what we are looking at.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
Hey @AnthonySmith , can you expand on this a little? Is the VPN the issue or the torrent client? I've been known to use a box as VPN proxy so I don't have to install the actual software on whatever box I'm currently sitting on. Not at TierHive mind you but I wanted to ask the question in case I ever said, "Hey, Vancouver is a lot closer than [x]. I'll just spin up a box there....."
Your rentals, your rules. I'd start by nerfing anyone with a non-super-small Linux instance that refuses to run qemu-ga. You've basically undercut VirMach as the cheapest host plausible with actual service provided. You're going to attract the MJJs.
And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Its the torrent client that you might have running at home while on a VPN, the VPN itself is fine.
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/
I want to move to Vancouver
In general or just a VPS move?
TierHive - Hourly VPS - NAT Native - /24 per customer - DE, UK, SG, CA, USA x4, FR x2, AU, PL, NL, JP
FREE tokens on sign up, try before you buy. | Static Hosting Free for life: https://tierhive.com/static-hosting/