"Free" Domain from Mailchimp for 5 years

vyasvyas OG
edited June 2020 in Free Offers and Stuff

I thought I had posted before - appartently not. Came across this offer again when I was updating my post on Pagebuilders...Upto June 30th, you can avail this offer.

-Mailchimp will offer a 'free domain' (new definition of Free: they will offer a $ 25/ year credit) for next 5 years
-You have to create and maintain an 'active' landing page with them for atleast 11 months
-You have to provide Credit card details: In case you do not maintain the account in active standing, they will change you.

Details are below:
https://mailchimp.com/free-domains-statement/

You can read the TOS here:
https://mailchimp.com/legal/domain-discount/

Edit: updated the title

Comments

• "If it’s free, you’re probably the product."

Thanked by (1)lentro
  • What is meaning of active page?
    Will Just making a simple htnyl template would suffice?

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider
    edited June 2020

I got one :)

So basically once you sign up, you need to use their hosting, albeit free, but doesn't have much customizability. You can't modify the DNS, etc., within the panel (prob ask support) so it isn't really a free domain like one you would purchase elsewhere. If you're doing something other than a simple landing page that you're willing to host with them, you should just shell out the $9/yr from Porkbun.

They're purchasing the domains through Tucows, so this is a loss leader. Don't really know why they're doing this, as it's not like they're a public company that wants to hit wall street's growth targets, but yeah - perhaps their investors want expansion and have cash :) .

Update: I can't figure out how to update the landing page. Ah, whatever. My use case for it is later next month, so no need to worry about it right now.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @lentro said:
    I got one :)

So basically once you sign up, you need to use their hosting, albeit free, but doesn't have much customizability. You can't modify the DNS, etc., within the panel (prob ask support) so it isn't really a free domain like one you would purchase elsewhere. If you're doing something other than a simple landing page that you're willing to host with them, you should just shell out the $9/yr from Porkbun.

They're purchasing the domains through Tucows, so this is a loss leader. Don't really know why they're doing this, as it's not like they're a public company that wants to hit wall street's growth targets, but yeah - perhaps their investors want expansion and have cash :) .

Update: I can't figure out how to update the landing page. Ah, whatever. My use case for it is later next month, so no need to worry about it right now.

You can change DNS record through customer support

• @lentro said:
    you should just shell out the $9/yr from Porkbun.

They have a promotion currently, .com domains for $4.15 (first year only), limited to 3 domains per customer.

• Just bear in mind that it's almost impossible to transfer out the domain.

Easy Website Backup Script: easybackup Extremely affordable FTP backup storage: 1Fichier
    One-click CDN installation on your VPS: OneClickCDN

• Nice offer, but I would not use it :smirk:

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@quangthang said:
    You can change DNS record through customer support

Yup! But by that point, not sure whether you would still qualify due to the fact that you have to use their landing page builder to qualify for the free renewal, so no records at @, but you can probably do subdomains :) .

• The time you wasted on the few dullahs you could spend at porkbun instead.

• @Neoon said:
    The time you wasted on the few dullahs you could spend at porkbun instead.

THIS!

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

For 5 years nice, what may be renewal price after 5 years? I may use it for a Food business website of a friend or I should just buy it from Namesilo

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@quangthang said: You can change DNS record through customer support

Well, customer support can be asked to make a change. However, the request doesn't necessarily make sure that any change will happen. :)

@quanthang When you have time, no rush at all, could you please take a look at what still seems to be pointing to a certain IP address as of this morning? :) Thanks!

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• There is no way to transfer the domain, just a credit card details for a landing page ?

• Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

I got my free domain. I chose .click extension

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• I don`t want them to change me tho -_-

so say we all