microLXC Public Test

1111213141517»

Comments

• @Neoon said:
    Testing the nixOS image currently, since officially its not supported by LXD, but seems to work well.
    Should be added soon, hopefully.

Nice, if you need a guinea pig for the NixOS image, give me a ping. It has a bit of a few quirks due to the closure builder sandboxing when running on containers.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited April 8

OS / Package availability updates

OS

• Ubuntu can not longer be installed on 128MB due to OOM issues
    • Archlinux and Alpinelinux are now available for KVM, including the 256MB KVM Package
    • BYOOS has been removed from the 256MB KVM Package due to OOM issues
    • Rocklinux, CentOS, Almalinux and Debian are now available to be Installed on the 384MB KVM Package

Packages

• New 192MB LXC Package, mainly for Ubuntu but for any other distros also
    • 384MB KVM Package is also now available Norway
    Thanked by (1)Shot²
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited April 8

OS availability updates
    - Added Alpine 3.19 (LXC/KVM)
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

Alpine is as before available from 64MB, NixOS from 128MB.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen
  • edited April 8

NixOS seems to be failing due to the nix-daemon's inability to remount /nix/store.

# nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-23.11 nixos
    # nix-channel --update
    error: cannot open connection to remote store 'daemon': error: writing to file: Broken pipe

Apr 08 22:54:01 nixos nix-daemon[769]: accepted connection from pid 767, user root (trusted)
    Apr 08 22:54:01 nixos nix-daemon[771]: unexpected Nix daemon error: error: remounting /nix/store writable: Permission denied

Don't know what LXC container backend microLXC is running (e.g., LXD, Proxmox, systemd-nspawn), but you may need to do lxc.apparmor.profile unconfined or this.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited April 8

@jmgcaguicla said:
    NixOS seems to be failing due to the nix-daemon's inability to remount /nix/store.

# nix-channel --update
    error: cannot open connection to remote store 'daemon': error: writing to file: Broken pipe

Apr 08 22:54:01 nixos nix-daemon[769]: accepted connection from pid 767, user root (trusted)
    Apr 08 22:54:01 nixos nix-daemon[771]: unexpected Nix daemon error: error: remounting /nix/store writable: Permission denied

Don't know what LXC container backend microLXC is running (e.g., LXD, Proxmox, systemd-nspawn), but you may need to do lxc.apparmor.profile unconfined or this.

Well, yea the Image as said before is not officially supported by LXD.
    When I tested it with Incus and partially with LXD, it was working fine.

My best guess is they added apparmor profiles for NixOS to Incus.
    Which are missing, hence he said it was not available for LXD.

Incus LTS is available since a few days, so technically I can start upgrading the Nodes.
    However, I rather wait a bit, for other people to pentest it.

Thanked by (1)jmgcaguicla
  • 26D7-D40A-F519-5E25

• @jmgcaguicla said:

# nix-channel --update

Well, the new LXD Images include NixOS and it seems to work fine with Nesting enabled.
    I will replace it on the Nodes so you can give it a try again.

Thanked by (2)jmgcaguicla terrorgen
  • NixOS has been enabled again, I replaced the current Image with a new one for LXD.
    Testing so far was fine, if nesting is enabled, don't forget that to enable it under Settings.

• @Neoon said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

# nix-channel --update

Well, the new LXD Images include NixOS and it seems to work fine with Nesting enabled.

Noice, thanks. I'll give it a spin.

• edited April 24

@jmgcaguicla said:

@Neoon said:

Noice, thanks. I'll give it a spin.

Now works great 🤌

To NixOS friends minmaxing, a few tricks: nix-collect-garbage -d and nix-channel --remove nixos will free you some disk bringing base usage to 300M. You can then just push closures remotely (I doubt you'll be able to get the builder to run and switch on 128M anyway).

Thanked by (1)Neoon
  • Had to Reboot Pakistan and Valdivia, due to the same issue that happend on JP.
    The issues just recently appeared, no clue yet, still troubleshooting why this happens.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited April 25

OS availability updates
    - Added Ubuntu Noble Numbat (LXC/KVM)

Thanked by (3)bliss ElonBezos Erisa
  • edited April 26

Reinstalling seems to silently undo Nesting (panel still shows Disable Nesting). Just need to toggle afterwards, no biggie.

• @jmgcaguicla said:
    Reinstalling seems to silently undo Nesting (panel still shows Disable Nesting). Just need to toggle afterwards, no biggie.

Its recreating the container and by default it has nesting not enabled.
    Hence its disabled, however it should show it as disabled and not enabled.

Fixed that.

Thanked by (1)jmgcaguicla
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited April 28

This week I had a few cases of CPU abuse.

So I wrote some code to add a simple CPU abuse detection system.
    This will notify users via email if the CPU usage is higher than 50% for the last 30 minutes.

The System doesn't stop or suspend anything yet.
    However, the idea would be a strike like system.

If you have been notified a bunch of times, your container / virtual machine will be stopped.

• @Neoon said:
    This week I had a few cases of CPU abuse.

So I wrote some code to add a simple CPU abuse detection system.
    This will notify users via email if the CPU usage is higher than 50% for the last 30 minutes.

The System doesn't stop or suspend anything yet.
    However, the idea would be a strike like system.

If you have been notified a bunch of times, your container / virtual machine will be stopped.

Smol update.

You will be send 3 notifications via email before the System will take action.
    Roughly 2 Hours with more than 50% CPU load.

The 4th time you exceed the threshold your virtual machine / container will be stopped and you will be notified via email.

I will post here again once the automatic suspension is enabled, until then, it will just send notifications.
    If you notice any bugs, feel free to let me know.