Proxmox on personal computer

2»

Comments

• @somik said:
    @poisson GPU passthough will give you video. You'll need at least 3 cards, 1 for Linux, 1 for windows, 1 for proxmox. If you count the built in one, and your existing gfx card, then you'll need one more.

You also need keyboard and mouse and thumbdrive. So you'll need to get two pcie USB controller and passthrough it as well.

Don't forget to get a HDMI KVM switch to switch your monitor+usb devices between the Linux and windows.

As both instances will be running, your power consumption will be high, while the performance will be low as resources are shared.

I've tried it, and it's not worth it. So I bought a mini PC and use it as my daily driver, while my gaming PC (that hosted proxmox before), I use as windows gaming PC. I only have a 6 core Intel 8600k in there so between proxmox, windows and Linux, it wasn't enough.

If I need both, I power them on and switch between them using the hdmi+USB KVM switch I already bought. It also shares my USB devices so when I switch, everything I have connected to it will get swapped over.

My current proxmox is only running as a server for my server on amd ryzen 2600. The leftover graphics card is in there as well.

Thanks @somik! Good to learn from your experience so that I don't walk down a known rough path. I guess I will just have a dual boot configuration for using applications that require the GPU in Windows. Everything else I will just roll a minimal Windows VM inside Linux so I don't have to boot into Windows unless absolutely necessary. I have enough disk space so this looks most optimal.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

I tried doing it before, but had to give up because my sound and GPU were in the same IOMMU group. If you get that figured out, the rest of it is pretty easy.

• @cloud said:

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:

@dahartigan said:
    I haven't used Windows for a very long time, I managed to ditch Windows completely a few years back. For anything that insists on Windows, applications only, I don't play games often, I have a VM with Windows 7 running.

Why not Windows 10 on the VM? I have one Windows 10 VM on my el cheapo laptop. Works well and less likely to run into issues of backward compatibility.

Mainly because I already have a Windows 7 CD and a legit license for it, which I got for free a while back. I'm not keen on paying for Windows 10 and prefer to keep the install clean without cracks and activators adding extra shit (potentially)

You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft and use a Windows 7 or Windows 8 key to activate it. Soon there will be no more security patches for WIndows 7 because EOL date is January 14, 2020.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing that, will try it one of these days :-)

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• tgltgl OG
    edited December 2019

@poisson said:
    Thanks @somik! Good to learn from your experience so that I don't walk down a known rough path. I guess I will just have a dual boot configuration for using applications that require the GPU in Windows. Everything else I will just roll a minimal Windows VM inside Linux so I don't have to boot into Windows unless absolutely necessary. I have enough disk space so this looks most optimal.

as i said on December 4.... not a good idea, anyway a good read for people that will consider this in the future

• @tgl said:

@poisson said:

as i said on December 4.... not a good idea, anyway a good read for people that will consider this in the future

Yea. Can point people to this thread when similar questions are raised in future.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• ulayerulayer Hosting ProviderOG

Haven't read all of the discussion in here, but based on OP, take a look at https://www.qubes-os.org/ been using it for years as my daily driver.

Thanked by (1)poisson

Universal Layer LLC, a privacy conscious hosting provider
    Check us out @ ulayer.net / twitter.com/ulayer_net

• DreamDream OGServices Provider