Your favorite linux server distro

Comments

• I don't really like Linux, I like FreeBSD.

• @FreeBSD said:
    I don't really like Linux, I like FreeBSD.

The best is definitely the upcoming LESbian

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @poisson said:

@FreeBSD said:

I guess you want to have LESbian on a whole rack.

• FreeBSD said: I guess you want to have LESbian on a whole floor.

Yes!
    But the floor should have EtherChannel waterchannel

• @FreeBSD said:

@poisson said:

@FreeBSD said:

I guess you want to have LESbian on a whole rack.

One rack? Give me a DC

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @tgl said:
    alpine linux

@mrtilde said:
    currently I'm beginning to test Alpine.

Alpine, yes! How did I miss it in the poll?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• @terrorgen dunno, probably you did not see the forest from the trees :)

• @poisson said:
    You don't need to list arch. Their users will tell you they use arch without you asking them.

LOL. And honestly, it'd be stupid as hell to run arch on a server.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• @SpryServers_Tab said:

@poisson said:
    You don't need to list arch. Their users will tell you they use arch without you asking them.

Some providers provides them as an option, so I wonder

Thanked by (1)SpryServers_Tab

• @terrorgen said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

@poisson said:

Well honestly, I'll provide whatever a client wants, and I have had requests for Arch. I provide an ISO if they want to install it, but I sure as hell don't recommend it. Too many updates break stuff. I mean I use it on my laptop, because I love bleeding-edge stuff - but i'd never use it on a server.

Thanked by (2)terrorgen vimalware

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• Debian and Ubuntu =)

• Have always used Fedora since 2010s.

Thanked by (1)FlamingSpaceJunk

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Is there a special reason for you using Fedora?
    Something that makes is special for you? Or is it "just" what you are used too?

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @SpryServers_Tab said:

@terrorgen said:

@SpryServers_Tab said:

@poisson said:

Well honestly, I'll provide whatever a client wants, and I have had requests for Arch. I provide an ISO if they want to install it, but I sure as hell don't recommend it. Too many updates break stuff. I mean I use it on my laptop, because I love bleeding-edge stuff - but i'd never use it on a server.

I bought into the hype back in 2014 or so and my arch install breaks every day or two after I run pacman -Syu.
    Back to Debian I guess.

I run elementaryOS as my desktop. On VPSes, it's always debian.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Debian-fork for general production; Alpine for specific single tasks.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Ubuntu's LTS is what made the switch to 'Linux as daily-driver', possible for me (2006)
    I run Ubuntu LTS on most servers as well : Access to lots of readymade PPAs , 5 years of security patches, recent enough software versions for almost any server runtimes.

2 or 3 storage-only servers run a minimal Debian Stable + ufw.

• RadiRadi Hosting ProviderOG

From those on the list, Debian. I mainly use it for personal servers. Otherwise, CentOS where needed.

For desktop, I usually choose Linux Mint. Last few months, I have been eye-ing Deepin, it's interface looks nice.

Get some hosting at https://drserver.net .

• deankdeank OG
    edited November 2019

@Amitz said:
    Is there a special reason for you using Fedora?
    Something that makes is special for you? Or is it "just" what you are used too?

It was the very first unix distro I started to use.
    It works, so why change?

Besides, I did like the name and the fact that it is a fork of Red Hat unix which I used few times before Fedora.

Thanked by (2)Amitz beagle

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• I run variously Debian, Devuan, Slackware, and Ubuntu MATE.

I've become fond of Devuan, and I'm hoping that the next stable release won't take many more months.

I may decide to leave Slackware in the near future.

I like Ubuntu MATE because it's probably the nicest instance of MATE, which is the desktop that I prefer.

And Debian, of course.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @WSS said:

No more Void?

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• WSSWSS OGRetired
    edited November 2019

@angstrom said:

@WSS said:

No more Void?

I run Void as a desktop; Devuan for my KVM Hypervisor, and Alpine for NS/Backup MX; OpenBSD on my low-RAM play/proxy/IRC box. I used to be a big FreeBSD guy back in the day, but I agree that 4.x went in the wrong direction. DragonFlyBSD doesn't fit my needs, or I'd probably play with it more.

Thanked by (1)angstrom

• @WSS said: Devuan for my KVM Hypervisor

So we overlap with Devuan. I've been running it on a VPS.

• Debiwan o Kenobi.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@angstrom said:

@WSS said: Devuan for my KVM Hypervisor

So we overlap with Devuan. I've been running it on a VPS.

Yep. It's Debian without the stupid, but it does take awhile to catch up. Works great as a drop-in replacement for KVM and Debian-style Apache services. If I ever decide to dump Apache, I'd probably set that up under an Alpine KVM and rebuild; I like it's low RAM use, but having Debian (Devuan) as my hypervisor just makes it a lot easier to care and feed for. I tried KVM services under Alpine, Void, and CentOS, but I hated it, despite most KVMs I deal with are CentOS based.

• @WSS said:
    I run Void as a desktop; Devuan for my KVM Hypervisor, and Alpine for NS/Backup MX; OpenBSD on my low-RAM play/proxy/IRC box. I used to be a big FreeBSD guy back in the day, but I agree that 4.x went in the wrong direction. DragonFlyBSD doesn't fit my needs, or I'd probably play with it more.

Never heard of Void, I guess I'm not paying too much attention ... :p
    But how's the OpenBSD httpd?

Haven't tested Devuan, must be quite some work to keep developing debian stuff without all the systemd deps ...

• WSSWSS OGRetired
    edited November 2019

@flips said:

@WSS said:

Never heard of Void, I guess I'm not paying too much attention ... :p
    But how's the OpenBSD httpd?

Haven't tested Devuan, must be quite some work to keep developing debian stuff without all the systemd deps ...

Void is very NetBSD-like. It was created basically as a proof-of-concept of the authors' package management system (A former NetBSD developer). The installation is text-mode, and you need to remember to create /boot/efi for newer boxes as a vfat/fat32, but otherwise it's not all that different than Arch as a rolling distribution, but the init system is daemontools-inspired. /var/service and so forth- not init, and not systemd. If you've never used djb software, this will be incredibly bizarre and foreign to you.

It makes a decent desktop with lower spec hardware/RAM - I'm rocking it on an 8 year old laptop as a daily. This is with Cinnamon, Thunderbird, Gimp, Chrome (with 8 windows), and a handful of terminal windows.

$ free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           15Gi       2.9Gi       2.6Gi       699Mi         9Gi        11Gi
    Swap:         7.3Gi        22Mi       7.2Gi

I'm actually using thttpd on OpenBSD because it just serves semi-static and cgi-based stuff. 64MB total isn't enough for the box and httpd to be happy.

Thanked by (1)flips

• WSS said: It makes a decent desktop with lower spec hardware/RAM

I tried setting up i3 on void. Guess it was too much of an uphill task to do.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@terrorgen said:

WSS said: It makes a decent desktop with lower spec hardware/RAM

Pick a prebuilt distro for your window manager; getting all of the services started manually is a daunting task.

• NixOS. I love the declarative configuration. I recently switched servers and all I had to do was copy the one configuration file, run nixos-rebuild switch and I was done. It's not foolproof, but man, it has cut down my administrative work so much, it's not even funny.

It's pronounced hacker.

• @WSS said:

@terrorgen said:

WSS said: It makes a decent desktop with lower spec hardware/RAM

Pick a prebuilt distro for your window manager; getting all of the services started manually is a daunting task.

Yet I chose i3, which is not prebuilt, lol