Open LiteSpeed vs LiteSpeed or maybe Apache 2.4

2»

Comments

• @smtalk said:

@seriesn said: Only thing I don't like about OLS is the fact that you need to reboot after every single htaccess update. Makes it, not fun for commercial hosting projects.

I had this created for that: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=2097. Can be used on any non-DA environment as well, just modify "/home//domains//*_html/" path there to fit your control panel.

Thank you :)

@poppz said:

@cybertech said:

@cybertech said:
    OLS has been best for me. Had tried to optimize NGINX 1.17+PHP 7.3+REDIS+WHATEVER CACHE+MYSQL8.0/MARIADB10.4 yet still could not come close to the low loads that OLS enjoys, straight out of the box.

Did not experiment with Apache yet, what's your setup like?

after trying for a month plus, can finally agree with what Anthony said about tuning, especially since he got LES running with 512MB ram.

Nginx 1.17.7
    PHP 7.4 (redis/exif/opcache)
    Mariadb 10.4

After tuning child process, innodb size/cache etc, test site can scale comfortably between 1 - 4GB ram.

Loader.io test:
    For a single vCPU (gold 6136) 1GB ram it can do 6000 client requests over 1min without errors.

For quad vCPU (3800x) 2GB ram it goes 10,000 over a min (max allowed for free account) without breaking a sweat. It probably needs at least 30K to feel the heat.

No longer need for litespeed. much fun!

I'm actually in the process of setting up a new VPS with @seriesn (lovely servers, fastest I've ever had) to try get away from SpinupWP and would like to do it manually to have more freedom of customization down the road.

Do you have any tips or tricks for latest nginx+php7.4 optimization? I read that MySQL 8 is more than five fold faster then latest stable MariaDB but I've yet to try it out.

Hey Family :)

MySql 8 is pretty solid. I read somewhere that MariaDb is working on something to outperform that. Thankfully migration from mysql to mariadb ain't that bad.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@poppz said:

@cybertech said:

@cybertech said:
    OLS has been best for me. Had tried to optimize NGINX 1.17+PHP 7.3+REDIS+WHATEVER CACHE+MYSQL8.0/MARIADB10.4 yet still could not come close to the low loads that OLS enjoys, straight out of the box.

Did not experiment with Apache yet, what's your setup like?

after trying for a month plus, can finally agree with what Anthony said about tuning, especially since he got LES running with 512MB ram.

Nginx 1.17.7
    PHP 7.4 (redis/exif/opcache)
    Mariadb 10.4

After tuning child process, innodb size/cache etc, test site can scale comfortably between 1 - 4GB ram.

Loader.io test:
    For a single vCPU (gold 6136) 1GB ram it can do 6000 client requests over 1min without errors.

For quad vCPU (3800x) 2GB ram it goes 10,000 over a min (max allowed for free account) without breaking a sweat. It probably needs at least 30K to feel the heat.

No longer need for litespeed. much fun!

I'm actually in the process of setting up a new VPS with @seriesn (lovely servers, fastest I've ever had) to try get away from SpinupWP and would like to do it manually to have more freedom of customization down the road.

Do you have any tips or tricks for latest nginx+php7.4 optimization? I read that MySQL 8 is more than five fold faster then latest stable MariaDB but I've yet to try it out.

No tricks, I basically just read it off online. Turns out to be easy, just not as fuss free as cyberpanel+ols.

Also I'm just novice, definitely more to this than what I did, but I'm tied to a panel so no Apache/varnish etc.

Nginx - set workers to same number of (v)CPU you have, max connections 1024 x nVCPU.

Multi_accept maybe set to off? Left it on and still works great on load test.

PHP 7.4 is some improve over 7.3 in terms of load in my observation. Load/ram wise tune max_children according to available ram

Last is mysql settings, set to again available ram, mariadb has some recommendations that I just follow, using innodb database, and tweaking innodb related settings

The rest is just trial and error for me, but seems to work as expected. With a 1GB , 1vCPU vps I could set it to not hit full ram so it hits 800MB on full load. CPU hits around 2.00 load compared to 7.00++ when loosely configured.

Same test done on 2vCPU, 2GB ram now rarely goes beyond 1.3GB ram, very comfortable load.

Don't know enough about mysql8.0 , it seems to need more ram than 2GB?

Thanked by (2)flips poppz

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

If I recall correctly don't you have to restart OLS every time you make an .htaccess change? And on LS Enterprise you don't? It could be a big downside if offering OLS to clients.

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @MikeA said:
    If I recall correctly don't you have to restart OLS every time you make an .htaccess change? And on LS Enterprise you don't? It could be a big downside if offering OLS to clients.

Yes you have to restart OLS for .htaccess changes to take effect. How there is a cron you can use to check for changes and then restart OLS automatically. LSWS doesn’t have to be restarted for .htaccess changes.