Mail.baby by interserver

2»

Comments

• @bikegremlin said:
    Didn't get that kind of explanation from the MailBaby/Interserver pre-sales folks - which could be considered as a red flag, but that's only one.

It is a $1/mo. service only available to be billed one month at a time with a website that is fairly self-explanatory. I think expecting any amount of pre-sales hand holding for such a low end service is perhaps a bit much.

As far as I'm concerned: It does what is says on the tin and I have never needed support.

I don't like the idea of exposing the server's IP address through my SPF record. That's another red flag IMO.

This is just how normal mail delivery on the internet works, though.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@cornercase said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Didn't get that kind of explanation from the MailBaby/Interserver pre-sales folks - which could be considered as a red flag, but that's only one.

It is a $1/mo. service only available to be billed one month at a time with a website that is fairly self-explanatory. I think expecting any amount of pre-sales hand holding for such a low end service is perhaps a bit much.

As far as I'm concerned: It does what is says on the tin and I have never needed support.

I don't like the idea of exposing the server's IP address through my SPF record. That's another red flag IMO.

MXroute and MailChimp don't require that - not for your hosting server when using the service.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@cornercase said:

@bikegremlin said:

MXroute and MailChimp don't require that - not for your hosting server when using the service.

Mxroute requires to list theor own spf. And if you concerned by ip disclosure - email headers contsin your server anyway. So bounce back email from your server and you exposed.

@legendary said:

@bikegremlin said:

@cornercase said:

@bikegremlin said:

Mxroute requires to list theor own spf. And if you concerned by ip disclosure - email headers contsin your server anyway. So bounce back email from your server and you exposed.

Yes, MXroute requires their own SPF - so does the MailChimp.
    MailBaby, apparently, requires their own SPF (relay.mailbaby.net), plus your server's IP.

I'm using MXroute for emails, so I don't see how bounced emails could disclose my hosting server's IP. Am I missing something?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:
    MailBaby, apparently, requires their own SPF (relay.mailbaby.net), plus your server's IP.

That's news to me. I send from many different IP's and I ever gave them any of them.

@AaronSS said:

@bikegremlin said:

That's news to me. I send from many different IP's and I ever gave them any of them.

So it works OK in practice even withot the IP (contrary to their tutorial page recommendation)?

As far as I can tell, it ticks all the boxes, apart from that IP "thing" which I don't really like.

• I feel the mention of "adding your server's IP to your SPF" is just as a fallback in case of your own misconfiguration to send e-mail directly instead of using their relay servers.
    I'd say try it out because I don't think people have done this before and get blocked; just make sure that your e-mail headers are not leaking the IP anyway.

• RazzaRazza OG
    edited October 2023

@bikegremlin said:

• Amazon SES looks like more hassle than it's worth for my use case (cost control in case something "strange" happens is one of my concerns too).

On the subject of cost control using Mailbaby going to have the same issue as SES if something strange happens since both of them bill based on number of sent emails.

• @bikegremlin said:

• Amazon SES looks like more hassle than it's worth for my use case (cost control in case something "strange" happens is one of my concerns too).

Should not be a big concern. Any email delivery provider will suspend your account FAST if anything happens.

@JeDaYoshi said:
    I feel the mention of "adding your server's IP to your SPF" is just as a fallback in case of your own misconfiguration to send e-mail directly instead of using their relay servers.
    I'd say try it out because I don't think people have done this before and get blocked; just make sure that your e-mail headers are not leaking the IP anyway.

I managed to get this answer from Interserver - they were clear about listing the IP being required.

Sending limits are 6000 emails per hour - if you exceed that, the "extra" emails are rejected.

For a comparison:
    MXroute is the cheapest, but has a 300 / h sending limit, and the account gets suspended if you exceed it.

MailChimp's Mandrill service has a variable outbound limit (depending on the price/account tier) but can reach 12000 per hour, and the emails exceeding the limit are queued for the next hour (need to double check and confirm that). They cost about 4 times more on paper, but since they only sell $20 "blocks", it ends up being even pricier in real use - a lot pricier. The good is that they let you configure the "blocks" so you get notified if you are near the limit (and check if there's something wrong, or you just need to "buy" another "block").

Based on that, I suppose I could either give Amazon SES a try, or wait until I'm near the MXroute's 300 email limit and then start paying for the MailChimp.

• edited October 2023

Mail.baby is a gem of a service. I do not like the name and "theming" very much, but service is top notch.
    Awesome support and service quality.

Name of the service(subjective) is the only thing I wish was changed, everything else was perfect in my experience with them.