Automatize many VPS installation/config + easy frontend to handle storage services

Now that I grabbed more VPSs than I actually was supposed to (thanks, Black Friday!), I'll have to configure a bunch of them at different providers and different locations. Basically just a bunch of the same operations (user creation, apt, secure ssh, ssh keys, install docker, ufw, etc..)

Question: What would be the best way to automatize this process with heterogeneous providers and locations?

Also, I am migrating away from my Hetzner Storage Box, which is pretty neat in its configuration. With some switches, it enables/disables access and transfer protocols

And it creates sub-accounts with related folders and access rights (each row is an account here), all with switches.

Question: does a similar solution (preferably free/opensource) exist that I could install on my upcoming HostHatch and LetBox storage servers?

Thanks for your help, LESbians!

Comments

• ansible.

Thanked by (2)sgheghele lesbitso
  • YADE, by SOS Berlin.

Thanked by (1)sgheghele
  • @AlSwearengen said:
    ansible.

This. Ansible.

It's got a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it...

Thanked by (1)sgheghele
  • AsimAsim OGServices Provider

Ansible for the win

Thanked by (1)sgheghele
  • Alright, Ansible it is.

What about handling storage? @AC_Fan has some input already. I might take inspiration from https://backupsy.com, which deploys VPS for hosting backup solutions. They write:

We offer all of the major Linux distributions. We also offer pre-packaged versions of major NAS distributions, including Openfiler, FreeNAS, Open Media Vault and Turnkey Linux Fileserver.

So it might be that I might be able to use any of these on a storage VPS. Never used them before for a NAS, always Synology. I thought that they required bare metal somehow.

• What do you want from your storage? Web interface and WebDAV? Nextcloud. Windows remote mount? Samba over Wireguard / OpenVPN. Fancy distributed fault-tolerant stuff? Gluster, minio, Tahoe, Moose, etc.

• edited November 2020

@seanho said:
    What do you want from your storage? Web interface and WebDAV? Nextcloud. Windows remote mount? Samba over Wireguard / OpenVPN. Fancy distributed fault-tolerant stuff? Gluster, minio, Tahoe, Moose, etc.

I was thinking of replicating Hetzner control panel to a certain extent, with a central username/password system with creation of users, passwords, folders, and enabled/disabled protocols (WebDav and ssh for rsync in particular).