Plex, rclone mounts and bandwidth usage

2»

Comments

• @Mew said:
    Oh, you running all of this on a low end 512mb vps? Whats the streaming experience for you like? I've wanted to do the same since I don't need the transcoding, but I'm not sure yet about the performance and latency on the lower end.

When your media ready, 512 MB ram is sufficient for all directplay/stream. The memory hungry one is rclone mount, especially when scanning new media.

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@Mew said:
    Oh, you running all of this on a low end 512mb vps? Whats the streaming experience for you like? I've wanted to do the same since I don't need the transcoding, but I'm not sure yet about the performance and latency on the lower end.

When your media ready, 512 MB ram is sufficient for all directplay/stream. The memory hungry one is rclone mount, especially when scanning new media.

I just moved to a better KVM NVMe with more RAM. Had some performance issues with the 512 MB HDD storage node, especially for scanning library and refreshing metadata (plexmediaserver seemingly hung/restarted every now and then). Might be that rclone was the problem. But spinners are also slow. Main difference now is that music now plays also immediately when selecting new songs/albums/lists.

I only have music there (at least for now), ~142 GB, 1200 albums IIRC.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • WolveixWolveix OG
    edited December 2020

@chocolateshirt said: When your media ready, 512 MB ram is sufficient for all directplay/stream. The memory hungry one is rclone mount, especially when scanning new media.

You can actually get around this by setting the VFS buffer to something low and setting the disk cache as something reasonable, though the performance is going to suffer.

Thanked by (2)flips chocolateshirt
  • back when 512mb is considered beefy for a VPS, back back when it is 'just right' for your desktop.
    how have times changed.

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Is that expanded or extended memory? ;)

• flipsflips OG
    edited December 2020

Note to self: Plex uses /var/lib/plexmediaserver for Library and cache, should not be on a small filesystem ... :p