Need some advice on starting a hosting business

2»

Comments

• edited December 2020

@basehound said: I was surprised by how helpful LES is. I was expecting a lot of users to be dissuading. But It was quite the opposite. Everyone's ready to share their experiences.

It would have been a cest-pit if you posted same question on other forum :P

• Have in mind that you might earn more on McDonalds or Burger King by flipping burgers. Don't expect a big win in such saturated market, specially if there is no innovation in your services.

For example:
    Companies like Digital Ocean,Linode, Vultr, RamNode , FranTech are special because they have their own in house control panel, they innovate in software and hardware. For instance FranTech was one of the first if not the FIRST literally using Ryzen for hosting, plus their own custom control panel Stallion.

In summary your choice so far is to do shared hosting with the same shit software everybody else uses. Plus you are probably starting in terms of knowledge in this market so that's might be another issue. I'm **not **underestimating you, in fact I'm encouraging you to INNOVATE, be special.

What will make your company special? Is it the fast epic support? Is it the software? How are you going to innovate? Why would any one **trust **their data to you? Are you going to be a one man shop? People don't like one man shop so elaborate a business plan and make sure you include people that can do the job in case one day you are no longer available because of sickness or whatever the reason.

Best advice is: Gain knowledge, do a business plan, find an ACTUAL NICHE. Find that X factor that will make your company special and then start the business.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited December 2020

This interests me too, but more as an academic curiousity than actual plan. (I'm def not touching this). I'd personally sign up for a gig as a service desk at one of the more established shops. Seems like a much safer way of learning a baseline of what it's supposed to look like instead of diving in head first with a wild ass guess

I also think the actual logistics of the internet being 24/7 must be quite a daunting task (see I'm not touching this). Especially if you aim for low response times on tickets. Props to those that do go for it.

Also suspect that there is a decent need for cash to scale. i.e. Probably making a decent up front investment & loss while getting a customer base big enough to have support staff employees etc.

+1 to all the providers that have commented already - as I said I find this stuff interesting