How to Install & Optimise a NC?

Fellas, Hope all are doing Gre8.

Can any one say what is the most perfect and optimal way to install Nextcloud on Ubuntu - VPS?.

I was previously used snap to install Nextcloud, but that seems not very well working.

So, please give any guidelines to install & optimise the Nextcloud Vps.

Spec am on:
1c,
2GB Ram,
512GB Stoarge.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2020

I’ve written a guide on setting up Nextcloud with docker, hopefully this may help you :)

https://cyberhost.uk/nextcloud-install-docker/

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • edited December 2020

just

1- cd /var/www/<your-www-root>
    2- wget https://download.nextcloud.com/server/installer/setup-nextcloud.php
    3- in your browser go to https://your.domain.com/setup-nextcloud.php

follow the instruction.
    for best performance, you need PHP opcache module and Memcached. but not a must.

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • how many people use the nextcloud? if under 5 you dont need to optimize anything

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • ReinerNippes has an Ansible script on GitHub, use the non-Docker version to get started.

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • Is 2GB ram enough for docker ? Moreover it's a 1vcore Cpu

• edited December 2020

Actually optimization is depend on your usage case. For my case, I setup nextcloud for picture backup & sync for my family, android phone, iphone, ipad, also laptop, so I need minimum apps installed on it.

I do manual install nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, including APC and OPcache. The biggest help is preview generate app. Also I prefer NC 19 because it is more lightweight than NC 20.

All work flawessly on @AnthonySmith 512MB Storage VPS.

I believe in your usage case 2GB ram and single core vCPU is more than enough.

Preview

Thanked by (3)deepak_leb vyas Anon

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @chocolateshirt said: I do manual install nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, including APC and OPcache. [...]

Hm, I think @nem mentioned in a comment somewhere (HostedTalk, maybe) that low memory and php-fpm wasn't a good fit? That was in the context of ApisCP and web server setup, maybe it's different here? :)
    (Hope I'm not derailing this thread.)

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • edited December 2020

@flips said:

@chocolateshirt said: I do manual install nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, including APC and OPcache. [...]

Hm, I think @nem mentioned in a comment somewhere (HostedTalk, maybe) that low memory and php-fpm wasn't a good fit? That was in the context of ApisCP and web server setup, maybe it's different here? :)

Hi,

I set PHP-FPM max mem 256MB, OPcache 128MB, and APC 16MB. So far still stable for 6 users, of course with some swap usage.

Thanked by (2)deepak_leb Anon

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @cyberhost said:
    I’ve written a guide on setting up Nextcloud with docker, hopefully this may help you :)

Hi @cyberhost, I'm looking into installing nextcloud on a local PC at home. What are the pros and cons of docker vs non docker installation? Thanks

Thanked by (1)deepak_leb
  • Non docker=less extra crap installed and you get to understand stuff 'under the hood'.
    IMHO

Thanked by (1)atth

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Jeez. Say something simple guys

• @hey said:
    how many people use the nextcloud? if under 5 you dont need to optimize anything

6 or 10 max.

• @AC_Fan said:
    ReinerNippes has an Ansible script on GitHub, use the non-Docker version to get started.

Link pls

• awesome thread. i set up NC with 2C2G ubuntu 20.04 for company use. main for realtime files syncing between user, and email notification for files update. my question is how to backup entire NC instance or can i use round robin with 2 identical nextcloud installed in 2 vps? Mainly want to make sure if one of the server is down for whatever reason, i can get the backup works immediately.

• @deepak_leb said:

@AC_Fan said:
    ReinerNippes has an Ansible script on GitHub, use the non-Docker version to get started.

Link pls

Seriously?
    https://github.com/ReinerNippes/nextcloud

Thanked by (2)Naix atth
  • nemnem Hosting ProviderOG

@flips said:

@chocolateshirt said: I do manual install nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, including APC and OPcache. [...]

Not crazy about it, no. Each FPM pool runs its own cache and own memory footprint that results in a lower site yield. Since it's NGINX, ISAPI isn't available and it's the best possible option for low-memory environments. Some swap is necessary for a properly working system, but I wouldn't rely on that 2G swap file. If you find yourself around 0.5-1G swap often consider upgrading your VM to a 1-2G instance.

You can also use a file cache with OPcache. It won't allocate the memory unless used, so if you had 3 separate pools each with 128 MB each you could potentially charge 384 MB to OPcache. Your server would run like a dog. Run a smaller memory cache, maybe 16-24 MB each, then rely on a file cache for the rest.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Non docker=less extra crap installed and you get to understand stuff 'under the hood'.
    IMHO

But Docker is way more easier to migrate if you need to move hosts, easier to backup and rollback if needed .

• @Freek said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Non docker=less extra crap installed and you get to understand stuff 'under the hood'.
    IMHO

But Docker is way more easier to migrate if you need to move hosts, easier to backup and rollback if needed .

I understand, but am afraid whethever it may use too much CPU . CPU is just a 1vcore and that too fair share.

I don't want to abuse ?.

My opinions may be wrong since am not a expertise nor a Linux geek.

Your all feedbacks are appreciated. ☺️

• @cyberhost said:

Do you have any idea for Nextcloud:FPM docker and Nginx webserver guide?

• @AC_Fan said:

@deepak_leb said:

@AC_Fan said:

Link pls

Seriously?
    https://github.com/ReinerNippes/nextcloud

Unfortuately Am facing issues while using the above script :<

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Actually optimization is depend on your usage case. For my case, I setup nextcloud for picture backup & sync for my family, android phone, iphone, ipad, also laptop, so I need minimum apps installed on it.

I do manual install nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, including APC and OPcache. The biggest help is preview generate app. Also I prefer NC 19 because it is more lightweight than NC 20.

Preview

Guide please

• I have a fairly simple install on a 1gb Vultr kvm with 2 users at most, and it is slower than dog poo. That is with vultr's 1-clock install. I suspect the config is messed up somehow so I will look into it or else do a fresh install on another machine but it does have redis running for caching. I had trouble installing from scratch last time I tried, which is why I used vultr to get something going quickly. But I do want to move it.

• @willie said:
    I have a fairly simple install on a 1gb Vultr kvm with 2 users at most, and it is slower than dog poo. That is with vultr's 1-clock install. I suspect the config is messed up somehow so I will look into it or else do a fresh install on another machine but it does have redis running for caching. I had trouble installing from scratch last time I tried, which is why I used vultr to get something going quickly. But I do want to move it.

I previously used snap to instaall Nextcloud, but that also seems laggy.. waiting for perfect solution.

as I need to Migrate my data from One Nextcloud server to new Nextcloud Server.

• @deepak_leb said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Preview

Guide please

Some of German people already have the tutorial, you could follow it, also modify some of its code.

https://www.c-rieger.de/nextcloud-installationsanleitung/

In my experience stick with NC19 as NC20 are more bloat and slower compared with NC19.

• edited December 2020

@chocolateshirt said:

@deepak_leb said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Preview

Guide please

Some of German people already have the tutorial, you could follow it, also modify some of its code.

In my experience stick with NC19 as NC20 are more bloat and slower compared with NC19.

I want to share my setup with Inception's KVM Storage (#server 2, 512MB).

The speed is really good, responsive and I face no problem so far.

I believe this is the best setup made by nextcloud developer team.

Please advise me @chocolateshirt

1. Use Docker Nextcloud:apache 19 (#server 1)
    2. Use rclone to mount server 2 to server 1 (with write cache, cache max size, cache lifespan, umask, allow other)
    3. Map /var/www/html from container to host folder
    4. Map /var/www/html/data to the mounted folder
    5. Create a new network for MariaDB container and Nextcloud:apache 19 container
    6. Install as usual

I prefer to use map folder than create a volume.

With this method, I can use external storage as my primary storage and the best part, each user can have their own folder in external storage.

I don't want to use native external storage feature from nextcloud as it seems slower and no separate folder for each user.

Use it for 10 people and seems okay so far.

• I am sorry, I could comment about docker usage as I never used it.

• @Fritz said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@deepak_leb said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Preview

Guide please

2. Use rclone to mount server 2 to server 1 (with write cache, cache max size, cache lifespan, umask, allow other)
    6. Install as usual

With this method, I can use external storage as my primary storage and the best part, each user can have their own folder in external storage.

I don't want to use native external storage feature from nextcloud as it seems slower and no separate folder for each user.

are u available now dude ?

• @deepak_leb said:

@Fritz said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@deepak_leb said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Preview

Guide please

6. Install as usual

are u available now dude ?

What's up bro?