ARM dedi/colo makes sense?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Comments

• edited December 2020

https://rpiservers.com for RPI "dedi"
    Amazon also has EC2 instance with their Graviton ARM-based processor

• ARM dedicated server is great for web projects, python coding, Prometheus server, and some game servers. You can even use them to make VPS containers. The people who are complaining about them are people who are using them for the wrong reasons.

Vladimir S. - IT Consultant, Entrepreneur, Web Developer, and Disability Advocate.

[email protected] | www.ivlad.net

• @phxwolf said:
    ARM dedicated server is great for web projects, python coding, Prometheus server, and some game servers. You can even use them to make VPS containers. The people who are complaining about them are people who are using them for the wrong reasons.

What's the benefit of $5/month ARM server if I can do the same with $8.88/year Virmach or a local RPi 4 desktop?

The only time I used ARM servers was to compile packages for the BeagleBone Black (ARMv7, 512MB).
    Scaleway C2 has same ARMv7 but comes with larger RAM (2GB), so that the compiler runs faster.
    But this use case only needs hourly, not monthly.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• hmm more connectivity (in a datacenter) and less resource impact? The business owner in the article says people rent dedis just to host a website and most machines are not even utilizing 5% of power most of the time?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• Scaleway C2 is unfortunately EOL'd. I think attempts to colo raspberry pi's have never worked very well. They are just not made for that. There are some other such boards that might work better for the purpose. I figure I'll buy a Pi4 or Odroid or whatever board if and when I need such a thing.

• The only benefit I can see is the increased power savings for servers that don't need lots of compute power (i.e. storage servers), or perhaps as a interesting sort of setup where one could use a Pi Zero or other very tiny SBC hooked up to a server's motherboard in such a way that it could be used as a IPMI for remote power cycling and management.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.